Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: osu!

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,809 Times in 1,229 Posts

Default osu!

The other day a new entertaining game called osu! went live on Cydia via the MMi repo. Reminiscent of Tap Tap Revenge osu! is a rhythm and music based game where you tap and slide on the correct beat. What osu! does differently is gameplay is controlled by user made maps of various songs which you download via your iPhone to play.

MMi: What future features are you thinking of adding?

nuudles: Probably at the least, general storyboard support since that infrastructure is kind of already there, but that's looking optimistically. Online scoreboards are possible, but not being focused on. Multiplayer... may be stretching a bit, but who knows? Official skin support is probable, meaning dropping in skins from the PC version and them just working.

MMi: Will this be a Cydia-only app?

nuudles: Eventually osu! will be available to download on the App store, pending Apple's approval. Initially, osu! will be $0.99 for a short while to make up the initial license fee Apple requires. After that period, I will make osu! free. This will also be released on Cydia and will always be free there. I'm curious to see if it will be cracked and distributed even though the same version is already free on Cydia.

MMi: Can users contribute to mapping songs?

nuudles: Users are greatly encouraged to map songs, as that's one of the features that makes the osu! community so strong. Unfortunately, I can't even dream of creating a map editor as full-featured as the one available on the PC and I feel that the mapping experience on the device will be too limited to be useful. Therefore, my recommendation is to download the official PC version of osu! which has the editor built-in and give that a try. Any beatmaps created on the PC should inherently work on the iPhone version. For more information, check out the Editing section of the FAQ on the official website:

osu! - FAQ

MMi: Have you developed any other apps for iPhone?

nuudles: This is my first iPhone app, but I intend to continue doing it. The whole reason I made this game was to teach myself the intricacies of programming for the iPhone platform.

-----

you can grab osu! by going into Cydia and searching for "osu"

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Thanks

Cant play this damn game..!!
    Dont be that guy..!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Je5 View Post
    Cant play this damn game..!!
    As in the game won't start or it's too difficult? If it won't start, join us on the forums in the Bug Reports section and maybe it's a known issue. If it's too difficult, I posted a listing of a bunch of easier songs if you want to ease into it:

STEP ONE: The Beginning
    Welcome to the osu! Hotel!! My name is Pokebis and I will serve as your guide!
    If you're new to osu! and have no idea where to start Step 1 is certainly the right direction!
    Here you will learn general beat hitting, hitting to rhythm, hitting to vocals, and some minor mouse control.
    Welcome to the world of osu!
    Your Rhythmical adventure begins here.

Also remember to look at the mode I'm suggesting, these are all easy maps.

1) ORANGE RANGE - Ikenai Taiyou [Beginner] --This is a really good welcome map to your wonderful osu! journey! Click the circles when the shrinking circles overlap; those are called beats. The circles that extend are called sliders; they do the same thing except a ball comes out; keep your mouse button held and move the cursor over the ball in till it reaches the end! When a large circle appears on the screen hold down the mouse button and spin the cursor in circles, this is called a spinner and if you are fast enough you may pick up some bonus points! Also when none of the things I mentioned earlier appear and a painted circle or X appears don't do anything, it's a break you can rest.This song is good to learn the basic skills, if you find it too easy you can skip to #4.
    2) Silvertide - Devil's Daughter [Easy] --This map is good for practicing spinners.
    3) Steel Angels - Kiss Kara Hajimaru Miracle [Easy] -- This map is a really good foreshadow of what's to come. Try to click to a repeating beat.
    4) Catherine Warwick - Pollyanna (I Belive In You) [Easy] -- This is where the real fun begins. Try to find patterns within the song to help you follow them.
    5) Neon Genesis Evangelion - Cruel Angel's Thesis [Rei (Easy)] -- Really listen to the music in this map as it goes along. This is where the beats are really relevant to the song and you need to listen to the song to know when to hit them. This map also introduces double beats which are beats on top of each other. You'll know when you see them.] Also watch out for 1-2-3 combo's that go back and forth, they can be tricky. Also the notes are smaller now, but still pretty large compared to harder maps.
    6) Jonathan Coulton - Code Monkey [Easy] -- This map is a really great display of how to follow the tempo of a song.
    7) Nights: Journey of Dreams - Dreams Dreams (Will Version) [Easy] -- This map teaches you how to follow vocals in a song. Try and tap when they say words.
    8) KOTOKO - agony [Easy] -- This song has a lot of sliders that repeat. If you haven't learned by now, when there is a bent arrow on the end of the slider that means to keep holding onto the ball the other way.
    9) BrainCells, SnappleMan - Scrambled Eggman [Beginner]Mini-Boss alert! -- This map may seem a little tough, but if you can beat it that means your making some progress! If you have trouble go back to some earlier maps and brush up (also you could try and improve scores while your at it!)
    BOSS) Hyadain - CRASH!! (Let's do it) [Easy]Boss alert! -- Now it's time to put what you learned to the test. Apply what you learned earlier as this map has a lot of just that!
    BONUS CHALLENGE) Initial D - Running in the 90's [Easy] -- Here is another nice beginner challenge map, try it whenever you feel.

Step Two: The beat begins
    Refresher) Arashi - Love So Sweet [Easy] - Use this map as a nice refresher for what was covered in the last step. Pretty Easy. Note that the heart-shaped slider starts going to the left. An arrow will pop up to help you know which way to start on that slider.

1) All American Rejects - Swing Swing [Easy] - Now you may want to start taking into consideration beat spacing. Beat spacing usually is a very helpful way of knowing when to hit a beat. If beats are closer together, you should try to hit them within a shorter amount of time. If beats are far away. allow a longer amount of time to hit them. Also allow spacing to help you identify patterns that may occur in different ways. Also note the little circles that connect each beat. They always follow to the beat right after it, so use this to identify the order in which to hit the beats.

2) Alestorm - Nancy The Tavern Wench [Teatotaller]
    3) Hatsune Miku - Miku Miku ni shite ageru [Easy]
    4) The Wingless - All the World in One Girl [Easy]
    5) The Black Mages - Battle Theme (Final Fantasy VI) [Easy]
    6) Michiru Yamane/Masahiko Kimura - Bloody Tears [Easy]
    7) Animal Crossing - DJ KK [Easy]
    8) Hatsune Miku - THIS IS SPARTAAA!!! [Easy] Mini-Boss Alert!
    9) TAITO - Snow Melt Into Water (JET de GO!) [Easy]
    BOSS) Puffy Ami Yumi - K2G [Easy] Boss Alert!!
    BONUS CHALLENGE) Jakazid - Cillit Bang (Hardcore Mix) [Easy]

Thanks
    this game is awesome. Since i have a Mac, i can't play the pc one...and i'm too lazy to run an emu. So far, way better than TTR
    Top 10 reasons why date an architect

1. all night long, all night strong.
    2. we are damn good with our hands.
    3. if we can commit to chipboard, relationships should be easy.
    4. you should see the things we errect.
    5. use to doing things over and over again.
    6. finishing early never happenes.
    7. we know the true meaning of interpretation
    8. creative positioning.
    9. work well in groups
    10. entry and passage are always exciting.

This isn't similar to Tap Tap Revenge... it's similar in name, concept, art, and gameplay to the AWESOME Japanese Nintendo DS game "Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan" ("Hey! Fight! Cheer Squad"). The gameplay made it to the rest of the world as Nintendo's "Elite Beat Agents," where it can only be described as a rythm game staring some kind of cheerleading Blue's Brothers (the better you/they perform, the better the situation for the personthey are indirectly "helping" becomes). Of course, that was just to add story and humor, but the gameplay was solid and this looks to be the same.

The original got a sequel in Japan (mostly due to gray-market exports!) but the English game didn't sell well enough, despite being one of the best games in the DS' library. I've done my part to spread it around, so it hurts when I see it unsold in bargain bins.

Acknowledging "Tap Tap" instead of EBA/Ouendan is heresy, especially when even the character randomly generated on the top of the website are just chibi ("cute) versions of the characters from those games.

Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Elite Beat Agents - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by CZroe; 01-25-2009 at 10:01 PM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CZroe For This Useful Post:

Cody Overcash (01-25-2009), Kyle Matthews (01-25-2009), nuudles (01-25-2009)

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,809 Times in 1,229 Posts

Good point CZroe - I was merely pointing out the closest app for iPhone. More of the MMi reader base know iPhone apps than DS!

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kyle Matthews For This Useful Post:

Cody Overcash (01-25-2009)

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,277 Times in 652 Posts

what's a DS?

looks cool, i'll check this out

trying to download but it seems that it doesnt work. it wont let me download it. something wrong with the server?

edit: it says host unreachable.
    Last edited by bluaeon; 01-26-2009 at 11:06 AM.

OLD INFO I forgot where to get this again. Link?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Can't find it on cydia. I've searched for osu but nothing is there.

One of the Castlevania's song doesn't work, please look into it.

Also, if it's possible, please put in more Castlevania song in, their song is just plain amazing and best =)

Next I can think of, is "The Last Remnant" sound tracks for Xbox360, and Ikaruga (vertical plane shooting game, but their BGM is awesome. Though i donno if they can be fit into OSU! music style

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Lol!! South Park in the picture above, love that episode, Cartman is hilarious.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

powa, if you would, please join us on the official forums where we have a thread dedicated to problem beatmaps:

osu! - View forum - osu! iPhone

The thread: osu! - View topic - Problem Beatmaps

Unfortunately, I do not map any of the songs myself, but they are made by the community. You can create some and submit them if you'd like or I believe somewhere on the forum is a place where you can request songs.

It keeps telling me the songs arent in zip format..anyone know?

It wont appear in Cydia, what do i do?

monstar, check out this thread: osu! - View topic - Downloaded file does not appear to be a zip file...

perez, I don't know why it's not showing up for you. It shows up for me and obviously a bunch of other people. You'll have to talk to the ModMyi repo people to figure it out because it's on their repo... You can download it manually here:

http://apt.modmyi.com/2debs/osu0.1.2-1.deb
    http://apt.modmyi.com/2debs/osudefaultskin1.0-1.deb

Download both and install the skin with dpkg -i, then the main package.

I second CZroe's comment. This is so much like Elite Beat Agents!

Nuudles, I've uploaded a beatmap but still waiting for approval, is there anyway i can SSH into my iphone and copy the beatmap/songs into my iphone and play it so i don't have to wait for my beatmap to be approved?

Note that my song name is : The Last Remnant - The gate of hell

Yep. You can SSH your beatmap folder into the /var/mobile/Documents/osu/beatmaps directory and they will be processed the next time you launch osu!

Nuudle, i tried SSH the song into my iphone, then after i launch it, the right when the program starts the loading bar, it crashes back to spring board. Once i deleted my beatmap song off the iphone, it works again. any suggestion?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast