Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Ringtone Creation Now Allowed from iTunes

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,805 Times in 1,226 Posts

Default Ringtone Creation Now Allowed from iTunes
    iTunes now allows the creation of custom ringtones and has added the ringtones button to the side selection.

thanks jedi for the tip

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

I still haven't updated at all, I'm afraid of 7.4 wrecking my iPhone.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,805 Times in 1,226 Posts

It shouldn't.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

So as stated before, it will only allow you to create them from the songs that you have purchased from iTunes. and not from the songs that you already have in your library?

Is this iTunes 7.4.2? I just visited the itunes D/L site and (when visiting with firefox/winXP i can only download 7.4.1.
    iPhone - unlocked, custom apps and skins.
    SIM UNLOCKED AND WORKING WITH EDGE
    ON ROGERS CANADA (edmonton, ab)

It's 7.4.1. You need to add the "ringtone" column to your music list. You can do this by right-clicking on the column heading where it says "Name" or "Album" and then putting a checkmark next to the "Ringtone" heading.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cheule For This Useful Post:

stg (09-11-2007)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xplod4202 View Post
    So as stated before, it will only allow you to create them from the songs that you have purchased from iTunes. and not from the songs that you already have in your library?
    That is correct. The song must have been purchased through iTunes. And even THEN, not all iTunes-purchased songs are eligible to be made into ringtones. Out of the millions of songs they sell, only about 500,000 of those songs are eligible to be made into ringtones (that is, of course, if you play by THEIR rules!). Oh, and don't forget the lunacy of having to pay an additional 99 cents to make a song you already payed for once into a ringtone!

That's why iToner or iPhoneRingToneMaker are much more sensible options!

so is someone gonna figure out a way around paying for this? so we can still use itunes to create the ringtone? and manage ringtones?

Quote Originally Posted by poetic_folly View Post
    It shouldn't.
    Weren't there a bunch of horror stories with it boning Jailbroken phones? Granted I just use Installer.app, still.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I'm running 7.4.1 but can't get a "Ringtones" subcategory to appear in my Library sidebar. I do have the Ringtones tab when I click on "iPhone" under the "Devices" in the sidebar menu... and I can get SOME of the ringtones to work using the renaming trick, but still can't see them in my libary and have no "Ringtones" in that sidebar. I tried control-clicking, Preferences, View Options, etc.

Is it because I have no iTunes Store account?

Default getting it to work?
    i can not get the icon to apper on the left collum but it is in the the iphone tab under device? help? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stymyx View Post
    That is correct. The song must have been purchased through iTunes. And even THEN, not all iTunes-purchased songs are eligible to be made into ringtones. Out of the millions of songs they sell, only about 500,000 of those songs are eligible to be made into ringtones (that is, of course, if you play by THEIR rules!). Oh, and don't forget the lunacy of having to pay an additional 99 cents to make a song you already payed for once into a ringtone!

That's why iToner or iPhoneRingToneMaker are much more sensible options!
    Is the iToner really worth $15?

/shrug

I already turned off the Ringtones tab in the sidebar. .mp3 ringtones are easy enough to install and work fine...

here is a new app to put in Ringtones into iTunes for free:
    MakeiPhoneRingtones
    http://www.rogueamoeba.com/utm/posts...07-09-11-09-00

Is the iToner really worth $15?
    No way, don't pay money for that crap. You can make your ringtones for free using iTunes, I WILL post a GUIDE in a matter of minutes so people don't have to pay money to do stuff that is free!

Is it the same method as had been posted before? By renaming the file extension? or is it something new? How about that app that was posted above yours? is that any good? The only reason why i am asking this because as it stands now iTunes will allow you put files that are less 200kb. Thats like 10 sec.

iPhone? More like MyPhone antiflash's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by speedemonV12 View Post
    so is someone gonna figure out a way around paying for this? so we can still use itunes to create the ringtone? and manage ringtones?
    Check out THIS thread for details on the ringtone workaround...this method is also documented in the wiki HERE

Is it the same method as had been posted before? By renaming the file extension? or is it something new? How about that app that was posted above yours? is that any good? The only reason why i am asking this because as it stands now iTunes will allow you put files that are less 200kb. Thats like 10 sec.
    This thread is referring specifically to the buy-it-from-itunes ringtones. This functionality is new including purchasing and editing of new, purchased ringtones from within iTunes.
    Last edited by antiflash; 09-11-2007 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Black 16GB 3G iPhone w/bestskinever
    Q6600, 3GB RAM, Vista Ultimate Desktop Box
    2 Hands, 10 Fingers, etc
    Temporary Eee PC Portable

Yeah i know this method, i am using it. But like i said there is a size limit for this method and that sucks.

Update: Heres your guide to making FREE ringtones, the legal way.

http://modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4842

I tried to app which I posted above and it works like a charm.
    You need to have an AAC file with extension .m4a (if you have .mp4 just replace the mp4 with m4a). Now simply drag the song onto the app and it is in the Ringtone folder in iTunes and will sync well. If you don't have a ringtone folder yet, then it will be automatically created.
    Here it is again:
    http://www.rogueamoeba.com/utm/posts...07-09-11-09-00

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast