Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: TVOut for a 60 Inch iPhone Screen

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,275 Times in 652 Posts

Default TVOut for a 60 Inch iPhone Screen

If you wanted video out enabled for games and apps on your iPhone when you saw it working for the popular AppStore game Wingnuts Moto Chaser then your time has come. TVOut via Cydia provides you with the ability to make any application on your iPhone capable of sending a video out signal. Simply set which applications you want to be capable of video out via TVOut.app, plug in your AV cable to the iPhone and TV and you'll be all set. Simply run the application and it will show up on your TV!

[ame=http://www.vimeo.com/2892363]TVOut and Tris on Vimeo[/ame]

Controlling the app can be a bit difficult since the iPhones screen will be completely black while running an application that is sending video out -- you sort of have to guess where to tap the screen in order to navigate. Control this isn't much of a problem for simple apps (like Tris in the video above) and gameplay can actually be fairly enjoyable. TVOut also has a nice interface to turn it on and off for individual applications (below).

While TVOut is pretty cool there are of course some things that are still being worked on by the developer Lance Fetters (ashikase). OpenGL applications like Google Earth don't currently display properly. Landscape mode is not currently an option but is on the docket for a future version. Also to be added in later are individual settings on a per-app basis.

Want to play with some video out? You can grab TVOut via Cydia. Just search for "TVOut"

thx billchase2 for the tip

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cody Overcash For This Useful Post:

jvsoni8855 (02-28-2009)

Green Apple
    Thanks

what cable do i need to try this??

sick. hopefully my ipod av cable will work. i dont know why but i really want to read my sms on my tv.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Renblade's Avatar
    Thanks

Damn, I haven't got one of them nifty AV cables...

And the Apple store in Gibraltar closed down. I guess I'll have to buy one on eBay.

The never ending power of Ebay.

Anyways, this is pretty sweet, still not as cool as the copy and paste app, but it's not bad.
    iEat. iSleep. iPhone.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to andypropaganda For This Useful Post:

Amraam (01-20-2009)

Quote Originally Posted by andypropaganda View Post
    The never ending power of Ebay.

Anyways, this is pretty sweet, still not as cool as the copy and paste app, but it's not bad.
    Wow, thanks, I had no idea there was a copy and paste app!

Another app, ScreenSplitr, just came out which shows the screen on both your iPhone and the television. This one also outputs everything, rather than having it work per application.
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

10. The Following User Says Thank You to billchase2 For This Useful Post:

Cody Overcash (01-20-2009)

Looks sweet! I need to get myself one of those cables... eBay I guess lol

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Back to the Apple store today...

OMG they want $50!! for a component A/V cable?! Robbery!

Ebay!!! $12.64 brand new with shipping

Quote Originally Posted by Sullivan0930 View Post
    sick. hopefully my ipod av cable will work. i dont know why but i really want to read my sms on my tv.
    Reading your SMS will be easy... but since your iphone screen will be BLACK replying to the message will be quite a challenge!
    Last edited by Poseidon79; 01-20-2009 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone keda51's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Back to the Apple store today...

OMG they want $50!! for a component A/V cable?! Robbery!

Reading your SMS will be easy... but since your iphone screen will be BLACK replying to the message will be quite a challenge!
    Lol good point. Think I'll look into ScreenSplitr. Clippy is the cut&paste app in Cydia, it's in beta but already works like a champ!

Tv out is ok.

TV in now that would be revolutionary...
    Plug phone into tv, record in mp4 as a dvr, watch on the road.

All those set top box makers would go under lol.

Quote Originally Posted by aerospace View Post
    Tv out is ok.

TV in now that would be revolutionary...
    Plug phone into tv, record in mp4 as a dvr, watch on the road.

All those set top box makers would go under lol.
    Down with Tivo.

....and so i check ebay. most of them dont work for current firmware 2.2

input.
    iPINOYP

I own a Pioneer Avic-D3 Nav system in my car, just wondering, is it possible to connect the iPhone with the USB cable (which connects to the back of the system), and use the TV output like that? Note that my cable is not products from Apple, so right now when i plug the iphone into the system, it will said "Accessory not compatible with the system" and only ipod music will work, no video, no charging ability.

So im wondering, is it possible to use this app to bypass that apple cable thingy problem?

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,275 Times in 652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by powa View Post
    I own a Pioneer Avic-D3 Nav system in my car, just wondering, is it possible to connect the iPhone with the USB cable (which connects to the back of the system), and use the TV output like that? Note that my cable is not products from Apple, so right now when i plug the iphone into the system, it will said "Accessory not compatible with the system" and only ipod music will work, no video, no charging ability.

So im wondering, is it possible to use this app to bypass that apple cable thingy problem?
    Yeah I hear it works fine -- you must have the proper AV cables though (i.e. the Apple ones) the pioneer ipod cable doesnt really work for video from the iPhone that way.

Quote Originally Posted by billchase2 View Post
    Another app, ScreenSplitr, just came out which shows the screen on both your iPhone and the television. This one also outputs everything, rather than having it work per application.
    Yeah being able to see the screen on the iPhone too would be a major advantage. Looks good
    http://modmyi.com/cydia/package.php?id=1830
    Last edited by Cody Overcash; 01-20-2009 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by jbee View Post
    ....and so i check ebay. most of them dont work for current firmware 2.2

input.
    Ya I notice that too There are some sweet cables and cheap but dont work with 2.2FW

Can someone post a link or PM a link to where I can purchase one of these A/V cables for my 2G iPhone?

Thanks

i just purchased one.. 5hrs ago lol compatible for all version $10
    iPINOYP

So I just tried this with a Component AV Cable from apple and my 2G iPhone... on an HDTV, I saw the app on the TV, but it would not receive any input from the touch screen or anything for that matter, until I hit home and saw the springboard again and the TV went black... I'm thinking it might not work with component cables and maybe only composite cables.. Anyone else have bad luck with the component cables?

(for people who don't know, composite = standard Yellow Red White cables, 2 audio 1 video, and component is standard 2 audio and 3 video, red white audio, red green blue video)
    i LOVE apple.

Just tried with composite cables from Apple and worked great. It could use an option to "tilt" the screen for Landscape games.

Playing Real Soccer 2009 with my head sideways gave me neck pains.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

Can anyone confirm that audio is also routed thru the AV cables. Thanx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast