+ Reply
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Real Copy Paste on iPhone with Clippy

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by carlbgc Tap, hold, then swipe your text to select. Does that work for you? Because I'm trying it right now in the reply field and and it
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carlbgc View Post
    Tap, hold, then swipe your text to select.
    Does that work for you? Because I'm trying it right now in the reply field and and it won't copy. Do you hold until the Clippy popup comes up? Or swipe before that pops up?

Thanks

you double tap and then swipe, after you let go, the clippy popup will come up with the options for (copy paste stack etc.)

Thanks

Double tap and swipe? Do you have to do this when it's a full moon with your left hand?
    I'm glad we don't have this much hassle with hClipboard.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    Double tap and swipe? Do you have to do this when it's a full moon with your left hand?
    I'm glad we don't have this much hassle with hClipboard.
    No, this was only with an earlier version of Clippy. In the current version you tap, hold for a short while, and swipe. Very intuitive (and, dare I say, quicker than changing to a different keyboard + tapping "select from" + selecting + tapping another button)...
    Windows tool to edit .plist, .strings and .nib files: pledit.
    Or use a website that will convert the binary form to a readable format.
    On iPhone you can convert those files in a terminal with plutil (installed with Erica Utilities from Cydia), or edit them with iFile (from Cydia).

My iPhone is a Part of Me nycdiplomat's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Danner View Post
    No, this was only with an earlier version of Clippy. In the current version you tap, hold for a short while, and swipe. Very intuitive (and, dare I say, quicker than changing to a different keyboard + tapping "select from" + selecting + tapping another button)...

+1 i love clippy, i have both installed now just until one stole the show, now its clear that clippy is the best option, hclipboard seems too complicated to use, not taking anything away from the dev but user-friendliness is the way to go.
    Verizon iPhone 4 jailbroken
    iOS 4.2.8
    I'm a NY GIANT!!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Not quicker than hClipboard because you still have to hold down, swipe, and select copy. hClipboard involves 2 taps: globe then copy button. Any time holding is involved, it's slower.

Clippy is more intuitive though I'll give it that, but it's not faster.

Thanks

I think it now comes down to personal choice. I haven't tried Clippy for a while and am happy with hClipboard.

Apart from the selection methods is there anything one does that the other doesn't?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Green Apple
    Thanks

hClipboard also allows quicker access to the "Stack" for pasting. I've used both. hClipboard brings it up with a tap. Clippy brings it up by holding, still longer. I use stack a lot and the extra time sucks.

To me it hasn't taken over. It's good to have choice cuz everyone will use the features differently and have their own taste. SMS apps are an example. Choice is good. And I don't forsee one taking over the other, especially when 3.0 firmware is rumoured to include copy/paste, lol

MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Thanks

Just downloaded ... I love it, Great Job ... makes life so much easier

Thanks

Apart from the selection methods is there anything one does that the other doesn't?
    Clippy has a Search plugin, so when you have selected something and the menu pops up, you can tap that: it immediately switches to Safari and drops the selected text in Google or Yahoo for a search. I don't know if hClipboard has something comparable.

I think it's largely a matter of taste between the two programs. I don't like bookmarklets and have a few other keyboards installed, so in my situation Clippy saves time (also because you can set the hold time to a lower value). But for others in different circumstances hClipboard may be faster.
    On iPhone you can convert those files in a terminal with plutil (installed with Erica Utilities from Cydia), or edit them with iFile (from Cydia).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Danner View Post
    No, this was only with an earlier version of Clippy.
    Actually, It was a half-moon

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BenzoHartt View Post
    ok... I'm gonna be completely honest. I had a very good grasp of the beta and the 1st update but ever since then, I've been lost.

1: Do we still hold 123 to get the clippy menu?
    Yes. You can now set the holding time in Settings... Clippy.
    2: How will we know what we're selecting?
    In text entry places, it gets shaded. In other places (applications) it's one paragraph. Also, in Safari, when you go to the URL bar, the URL is already shaded, so you can simply type over it without first hitting the X to delete it.
    3: Can we still use it with the text messaging screen?
    Yes. Hold a text message to copy it. In the SMS writing box, it works the same as elsewhere.
    4: How excatly does this apply to Webpages?
    Hold on a part of the web page and it brings up the dialog to copy the paragraph you have been holding.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Lightbulb wel,l i have cydia and they have about 3clippys on i dont know which one to down load

Quote Originally Posted by cash7c3 View Post

EDIT: Another little copy pasted popped up a couple days later called hClipboard. Using Both Clippy and hClipboard together is the way to go .

What is the #1 most important basic feature that the iPhone has been lacking since day one? Copy & Paste. Yes it is more important than MMS; everyone would benefit from some nice copy/paste action (which is standard on nearly every other smartphone on the market). As of just a couple short hours ago the dream has come one step closer to reality with a Cydia app named Clippy.

Clippy is a new native app (not a web app) that allows you to copy paste between the stock iPhone applications like Mail, Safari, Notes, etc. While it doesn't work with some AppStore apps (it does however work in twitterverse & ireal) and you can only copy paste when you are editing txt it is a good step in the right direction.

To use you first need to be in the txt editor mode on the iPhone. In this case we're replying to an email. First drag the cursor over the text you want to copy, press the ".?123" button and select copy. Next move to whatever other app you'd like where you can edit text, press the ".?123" button again, and select paste.

Unfortunately you must have have the keyboard up to be able to copy/paste. This means if you want to copy from an email you received into a txt message you first have to hit reply to the email so you get a text editor so you can copy. I can come up with other examples but you get the idea. You also no can no longer drag the cursor between words/letters in text because now it just highlights for copy. Clippy also doesn't seem to be working for many third-party apps yet -- hit-n-miss for which apps it will work with.

Even though Clippy needs to be developed further to be more feature-rich and better integrated it does something that nothing else has (not counting web apps) so far by allowing you to copy paste between Apple applications on the iPhone. This is the closest anyone has come with the most potential to be improved into a viable copy/paste solution.

Great work so far by app dev Ryan Petrich! We look forward to improvements in the future!

Clippy is available via Cydia. Just refresh and search for "clippy."
    Yup Cydia. Apple's limitations don't allow this sort of thing on the AppStore.

thx billchase2 for the tip

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by titus806 View Post
    wel,l i have cydia and they have about 3clippys on i dont know which one to down load
    3 Clippys?

There is only one clippy and hclipboard.

There is clippy SBSettings Toggle and Clippy Search which is an add in for clippy - both of which are useless without clippy itself.

Not sure what your problem is?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Red face thanks for getting back with me
    well was able to get the download the other one, with clippy am have trouble in some how i done a search comes back with clippy,clippy SB Setting Toggles
    and Cipply Search? i have down load the Clippy and the other one Toggle, yet to get it to work :-/

Thanks

Why have yopu downloaded the toggle? All you need is clippy - why can't you get it to work?

By 'the other one' do you mean hClipboard?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

yes!and its working fine something diff has extra steps, and going thought my setting iwas able to fine clippy and it looks like everything is on, it's just not working once am trying to use it

Thanks

Why have yopu downloaded the toggle? All you need is clippy - why can't you get it to work?

By 'the other one' do you mean hClipboard?
    I wanted this also so I did a search within the Cydia link above on this website and like the other guy said, three different Clippy apps show up. Actually, a total of six showed up with the first three being only Clippy (each one is a different version with the highest one being 0.96) and the other three saying toggle, SBS settings, and I forgot the last one. So, I assume the one to get is the latest version listed and ignore the rest?

Edit: If you search through Cydia on your phone, then only one "Clippy" is displayed. There were other clippy's listed (a clippy search, and something else) but I did not mess with them, I only installed the "Clippy" app only.
    Last edited by ninthchamber99; 03-17-2009 at 09:41 AM.

Thanks

That's a bit different - when I searched for clippy all I get is clippy, clippy SBSettings Toggle and clippy Search and I thought that's what he was referring too.

If you are seeing different versions could it be because you have added different sources - some of whom have old versions?Mine is on iSpazio (System) - which sources are you using?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

how can i remove hclipboard. from my phone for i can use clippy??? maybe thats why its not working????maybe