+ Reply
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone Firmware 2.2.1 Features Exposed to the World !?!

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
If you need a corporate device why do you own an iPhone. It is multimedia, and consumer centric which seems very unbusiness like. Now, can i please have turn by
    Green Apple
    Thanks

If you need a corporate device why do you own an iPhone. It is multimedia, and consumer centric which seems very unbusiness like.

Now, can i please have turn by turn gps and landscape sms.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I must say that this is complete ******** of an update apple has been sitting on their *** this whole time and not delivering a good quality update since 2.0. It's a damn good thing that a jailbreak provides everything (just about) to what it missing from apple. Oh yeah how about the new way to copy and paste onthe iPhone. That is pretty darn sweet. Major props to the people at ispazio

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bengo View Post
    Apple can't compete with RIM in the corporate market and won't for a long time.

We'll see....They have to I think. To put the type of growth numbers on the table for Wall Street that they need, they have to go after that market. iphone growth will slow down otherwise and investors wont like that. Where else will they get those growth numbers from...there is no other big market left. They went international with the phones already.

Big publicly traded companies are starting to switch to Apple, Genetech is one, and there are others. Give it two years. Three years ago if someone said Apple would have 10% computer market share and be a dominate player in the smart phone space, I'm not sure anyone would have believed it.

And sorry dieselboy....

Quote Originally Posted by dieselboy27 View Post
    If you need a corporate device why do you own an iPhone. It is multimedia, and consumer centric which seems very unbusiness like.

Now, can i please have turn by turn gps and landscape sms.
    You still bought an iphone and they know that. And they also know they are loosing business to Blackberry.

I actually think in June when the new iphone comes out, they will address gps (which is corporate and one of the few things the storm and bold does better than the iphone).

I'd like SMS landscape too. Business users are consumers first, by the way. Why should I have two devices. I can have one for everything.

Lets hope we all get what we want.
    Last edited by galaxygrrl; 01-19-2009 at 08:45 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I love my iPhone more than any other phone I've ever owned. But if apple doesn't get there act together and start adding features that I had on every other phone I've used, I'll go out and find one that does. Video recording, MMS, Copy & Paste, etc. Even if apple wanted to make these options available in the App Store, I wouldn't mind paying a little bit of money for them.

I know I can get 90% of these applications through jailbreaking, it's the point that basic features should automatically be included.

And whoever said it earlier, is exactly correct. Apple is only releasing this new firmware because 2.2 is now able to be unlocked.

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    Too many SMSs cause your iPhone to burn.....
    You should ask One1 about my 2G phone I sent to him. I messed it up so bad it was trying to melt itself.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by galaxygrrl View Post
    I actually think in June when the new iphone comes out, they will address gps (which is corporate and one of the few things the storm and bold does better than the iphone).
    I don't know about you, but I don't want to buy an iPhone every year. I bought the 2G, sold that and got the 3G, which is on a 3 year contract. The 3G I think is a good base, all they need now is to roll out the features we want with software updates, not new hardware.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gatorboy View Post
    I must say that this is complete ******** of an update apple has been sitting on their *** this whole time and not delivering a good quality update since 2.0. It's a damn good thing that a jailbreak provides everything (just about) to what it missing from apple. Oh yeah how about the new way to copy and paste onthe iPhone. That is pretty darn sweet. Major props to the people at ispazio
    Oh, I think I just found this, it's called Clippy (and it's in Beta...right). Or is there another one? Just used clippy. It's super sweet. I take that back about cut and paste, this will work just fine. I did not like the other program.

Cheers,

Beth
    Last edited by galaxygrrl; 01-19-2009 at 09:15 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie-Mac View Post
    Not really seeing as how winterboard doesnt drain your battery
    wow.

restoring my iPhone then installing everything OTHER than Winterboard and getting extended battery life?

Then restoring my iPhone and installing everything including Winterboard then getting decreased battery life?

Try it and post back results, then tell me Winterboard doesn't drain your battery.
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reeko View Post
    wow.

restoring my iPhone then installing everything OTHER than Winterboard and getting extended battery life?

Then restoring my iPhone and installing everything including Winterboard then getting decreased battery life?

Try it and post back results, then tell me Winterboard doesn't drain your battery.
    Let's be fair here. Winterboard can be a drain if you use stuff within it that in effect use more reourses. "Oh it drains my battery faster / slows the phone to a crawl / sneaked out at night and killed my dog" are all very valid worries when it comes to jailbreaking. I recommend you all take the time to read this article from Big Boss about why certain jailbroken apps can and will drain your battery / slow your performance / kill your dog at night:

iPhone battery | iPhone News, Help and Guides

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Happy Noodle Boy For This Useful Post:

reeko (01-20-2009)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherm23 View Post
    @ tha5150
    @s4mb4
    Both of your problems can be solved with programs such as intelliscreen. If you have a jailbroken phone. I have it installed on mine and am thuroughly pleased. I know it would be nice for apple to accomidate the user and give us more user control, Ces la vive. I am in no way affiliated with intelliscreen but I encourage you to explore that or the free options available since hoping on apple is such a lengthy process!

@tha5150
    It's not automatic but the wifi toggle in sbssettings makes 3G wifi switch easier than normal. No exiting the app!
    The thing is, stuff like that should be standard.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bengo View Post
    I don't know about you, but I don't want to buy an iPhone every year. I bought the 2G, sold that and got the 3G, which is on a 3 year contract. The 3G I think is a good base, all they need now is to roll out the features we want with software updates, not new hardware.

Oh, I think it will be a software update. I just think they will have a big release with the firmware 3.0. June is not that far away after all.

But I do think it will be aimed at the corporate user. Lets look at the facts.

(1) The biggest market that Apple has yet to conquer on both the phone and PC side is the business market. That is what they want and they should. Big Money!
    (2) Snow Leopard the new Mac OS is focused on MS exchange intergration -- Ie business market.
    (3) People fall in love with their iphone or ipod and then buy a Mac. That is how they get in to a business.
    (4) This new firmware update has stuff in it for corporate email.

They are focusing their products on both the consumer and corporate market. What the realize is business users want one device.

So, the good news for you is turn by turn GPS Is a must for the business user.

At least this is my theory fwiw.

Thanks

Ye thats a nice article.

Puts everything clearly, proves that Winterboard can be a battery drain. So many people rush to it's defense just because Saurik developed it.

Personally, i can take the battery drain for Intelliscreens benefits, i cant live without the calendar on my lockscreen now.

Its a shame Apple cant give us the same sort of options with an update.

Quote Originally Posted by galaxygrrl View Post
    Oh, I think it will be a software update. I just think they will have a big release with the firmware 3.0. June is not that far away after all.

But I do think it will be aimed at the corporate user. Lets look at the facts.

(1) The biggest market that Apple has yet to conquer on both the phone and PC side is the business market. That is what they want and they should. Big Money!
    (2) Snow Leopard the new Mac OS is focused on MS exchange intergration -- Ie business market.
    (3) People fall in love with their iphone or ipod and then buy a Mac. That is how they get in to a business.
    (4) This new firmware update has stuff in it for corporate email.

They are focusing their products on both the consumer and corporate market. What the realize is business users want one device.

So, the good news for you is turn by turn GPS Is a must for the business user.

At least this is my theory fwiw.

EXACTLY!

They are only dipping their foot into the corporate market right now, they really need to take it seriously. The iPhone has so much potential! It's just missing vital points right now, and noone wants to carry their iPhone AND their blackberry. Come on Apple!

i think that after the iWork09 web integration update we might be lucky enough to see an IWork application integrate with the iPhone for business users?

The iPhones due an update around June-ish if they update at all. A new 3G with a better battery and 32GB storage would be perfect to be released along side 3.0 and PUSH notifications nd enough of an update to be called an updgrade.

Backgrounder kills the battery on the current 3G. I don't think the current battery could handle push well. Charge would last about 6 hours tops?!

As usual, my expectations are high for future firmwares, but im sure ill be left disappointed as usual
    Last edited by reeko; 01-20-2009 at 01:30 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

EXACTLY!

They are only dipping their foot into the corporate market right now, they really need to take it seriously. The iPhone has so much potential! It's just missing vital points right now, and noone wants to carry their iPhone AND their blackberry. Come on Apple!

The iPhones due an update around June-ish if they update at all.
    Oh, it;'s coming!!!! This is from an SVP at Apple who explained why the pulled out of MacWorld

But he also pointed out that having to come up with another dazzling show every January—a huge production, starring knock-’em-dead new products every year—was unsustainable. He noted that Apple marches to certain annual product cycles: the holiday season (Novemberish), the educational buying season (late summer), the iPod product cycle (October), the iLife development cycle (usually March), the iPhone cycle (June). January doesn’t fit ANY of them.
    A Strange Macworld Expo - Pogue’s Posts Blog - NYTimes.com

For June, I think we will see a significant improvement to email, cut and paste, search for email, etc that the business user needs. They don't need to be on par with a blackberry, but the need to remove the reasons business users don't buy it now. And that is email. For the consumer, I would think they'd put in MMS, Video recording, and other missing features.

I also think with this update since we'll be able to select multiple emails and delete them, they will finally take the limit off of the number of emails you can have. I'm so hoping at least.

What I would give to see their product roadmap.
    Last edited by galaxygrrl; 01-20-2009 at 09:43 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Good to know that there is something in the works but still doesnt excite me like it did when 2.0 came out.

iPhone? More like MyPhone rel1215's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nfl46 View Post
    Thankfully the Palm Pre is coming out. A GSM Palm Pre would be awesome! I hope it sells a lot, if thats the case, then Apple will have no choice but to give us what we want.
    i def. have to agree with this....while this might sound off, i think the fact that no one has been able to come out with a viable threat to the iphone has been a hinderance for it. if someone could come out with a phone that challenges it on all levels, then maybe it would push apple to get these features out to us....for now i'd say the great developers making great apps like clippy, and all jailbreakers getting more and more people on board would be great for pushing apple as well....make it cost ineffective for them to hold these features back and i guarantee they'd come around....sadly thats what its all about folks, dollars and cents.

(oh yeah, and get rid of AT&T: the worst thing to ever happen to the iphone)

Backgrounder kills the battery on the current 3G. I don't think the current battery could handle push well. Charge would last about 6 hours tops?!

As usual, my expectations are high for future firmwares, but im sure ill be left disappointed as usual

sadly, i think that quote right there points to a totally new device before all these features. battery life is a base issue that has to be fixed and i know updates can help with this some but not enough. its going to take a better and more expensive batter (thus more expensive device) or time for these parts to become cheaper and a release of an updated device at about the same price.
    Last edited by rel1215; 01-20-2009 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Another update that completely ignores what people want???

Come on Pre! Maybe Apple will listen once the wallets start talking...

Green Apple
    Thanks

what about a simple free app to forward txt

Green Apple
    Thanks

The best update for my 3G will be when I replace it, probably with a Pre.

No cut/copy/paste, no multitasking, horribly weak phone app, artificial restrictions on developers preventing them from fixing the many ommissions and flaws. I've never had a program on any platform, mobile or not, crash as much as mobile Safari. The whole Internet? I think not.

I've never been a fan of the arrogant fruity company, but they continue to have the attitude that they know better than their users. They provide weak updates with what they want, rather than responding to very basic user needs and requests. Jobs and his gang truly believe they know better than you. They tell you what you need, not the other way around. Apple has always been that way, but have brought that arrogance to new lows with the iPhone.

I reluctantly gave them a shot with the 3G and they proved all of my previous feelings for them to be more than true.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by prgeno View Post

I've never been a fan of the arrogant fruity company.
    Neither have I - but I use an iPhone because, for me like millions of others, it is the best device on the market. It has faults - which I wish Apple would address, but is so much better than anything else available that we put up with them.
    I would be very surprised if the Pre changes this - if it does I will probably get one. But until something better comes along throwing your toys out of your pram doesn't really help.....
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks
    i just dont know why apple cant do it like other mobile phone brands
    simply give us what we want
    copy paste
    mms
    downloading on safari
    bluetooth functionality