+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [ COMING SOON ] StarPlayr: Sirius/XM on the iPhone

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Sirius/XM is not quite a stranger to the iPhone - uSirius was released back in June of 08 to jailbroken users, and worked... and was buggy at best. The app
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,210 Posts

Default [ COMING SOON ] StarPlayr: Sirius/XM on the iPhone

Sirius/XM is not quite a stranger to the iPhone - uSirius was released back in June of 08 to jailbroken users, and worked... and was buggy at best. The app was released by Millard Software, whose namesake Jason Millard is now teamed up with the folks at StarPlayr to release a prettied up, completely revamped, AppStore Sirius/XM app under the StarPlayr name. It should hit sometime this month.

The app had been mentioned throughout the web a few times in late 08 as a possibility, but has now been released in private beta. The app works with the Sirius/XM internet feed, and most (but not all - yup, Stern is there, but no live sports, strangely except for Notre Dame College Football games) of their channels are available through it. The app streams over WiFi (I saw no indication it would work with 3G yet EDIT: seems forum posters here and at NiceMac are saying it works over 3G) at 128 kbps and features lyrics as well as album art in app.

You'll need a subscription to XM/Sirius online to listen (which is $7.99/month). No word yet on pricing, but the Windows Mobile version of their app sells for $9.99.

thanks Jon for emailing us the tip!

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Two things.

1. About ******* time.

2. It better work over 3G or its useless. I have serious in the car and at home, the one place I DONT have it is on the go. It would make more then enough sense to have it work over 3G. Otherwise, its a .99cent app at BEST.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I have read reviews from beta testers that say it works over 3g and edge so it shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZXMustang View Post
    Two things.

1. About ******* time.

2. It better work over 3G or its useless. I have serious in the car and at home, the one place I DONT have it is on the go. It would make more then enough sense to have it work over 3G. Otherwise, its a .99cent app at BEST.

I agree 100%

honestly though, they may have taken a little 'too' long to get it released. I was foaming at the mouth waiting for this to come out for 2.0, but honestly... this isn't nearly as useful as streaming XM/Sirius via orb.com into safari (for the multi-tasking alone), unless it will play in the background once you close the app.

I'd probably pay a few dollars for it, but if they're charging 10.00, I'll pass. Besides, it doesn't sound like Sirius-XM is doing all that well these days

edit: if they added in a recording ability, that would probably make it well worth it though
    Last edited by dr.stevil; 01-16-2009 at 03:57 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    The jailbroken version worked on edge and it wasnt half bad so if they say 3G works even better. Cant wait!

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

I'd pay $10 for this any day... I used usirius like crazy on 1.1.4.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

if you run a web server and are not scared of a little code you could use this: Treas0n's Pr0g Bl0g: Sirius on the iPhone

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Very exciting. I find myself sitting in my car because I cant stop listening sometimes. uSirius was great.

Blech!!!! Notre Dame is horrible because their QB threw 18 interceptions on the year... But I'm bias because I've sacked him a few times. :-D

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

It does run on 3G but only up to 64k. To get 128k you must be on wifi (or install hack in cydia to make it think it is connected via wifi)

Thanks

Can I hear Howard Stern?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Big fan of XM! I have had the service for over 3 years now. I would like to know what the cost will be for current subscribers. Overall I would have to say that I'm excited this is coming to iPhone. Curious to see the channels available as well.

I wonder if there will ever be an external antenna available to connect directly to the iphone?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rubenmer5 View Post
    Can I hear Howard Stern?
    yes.

You can already catch Stern on Flycast tho

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I still use uXM on 1.1.4 on my old iphone and is one of the reasons I haven't updated it to 2.x. It only works over wifi now since I don't have service on it now that I have a 3G, but it worked good over edge. I am wondering if you are going to have to pay an additional 7.99 fee a month on top of your current service to XM to use this new app or will it be covered under current subscription. If you do have to pay additional like its another XM device, then that would be a deal breaker for me, but if not then I would pay 9.99 for the app.

iPhone? More like MyPhone s4mb4's Avatar
    Thanks

i will gladly pay $9.99 for this. i have been using Tversity and uSirius to get Sirius on my iPhone. IT is a huge pain.....Thank you Jason Millard.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    yes.

Where exactly in flycast did u find stern.

Thanks

Since the merger of XM and Sirius the channels and the music selection is quite fubar! However this is great news in listening to the comedy channels! BTW Howard Stern is the biggest waste of air time on the radio today! Try listening to the Real Radio Gawds! Walton and Johnson!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Just for clarification, if you are a Sirius/XM subscriber already there is no additional monthly fee for the online service.

Thanks

^ True Dat ^ !! It's just like my Sirius Player, StarLightXM on my Mac, I signed in with my email on account with them and the password I submitted when I agreed to a lifetime contract back in '06/'07.

- I'm a little unedjumacatated when it comes to my Sirius Satellite and it's Streaming abilities, but let me get this straight...

... I understand that this App will be streaming music to my iPhone, but (this is where it's a little grey for me) is the streamed Sirius/XM material going to be real-time, maybe a tiny time-lag, that is like the real deal... OR, is it going to be premeditatedly material that's not even close to the live stuff??

...That lifetime contract being a one-time payment of $500.
    Last edited by RelleR; 01-17-2009 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    You don't have to lie to kick it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    I'd pay $10 for this any day... I used usirius like crazy on 1.1.4.
    Same here! That app was great, and for me, not even that buggy. Cant wait for some Howard Stern!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    yes.

Can you please tell me how?

+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast