Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Preview] - Jailbird - replacement for Winpwn

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Default [Preview] - Jailbird - replacement for Winpwn

There is a new program being developed based on xpwn called Jailbird. It will jailbreak, activate and unlock your first generation iphone or first generation ipod touch and jailbreak and/or activate the iPhone 3G. It is a complete replacement for Winpwn which will build custom IPSW files and support firmwars 2.0 - 2.2. The initial release is scheduled for sometime in February and will include root partition resizing and custom boot images.

The developers of this project are:
    The Dev-Team (iGods)
    difrnt (Programmer for Jailbird)
    Doc (Graphics Artist for Jailbird)

This is great news for all the windows users! If you have any specific questions the devs have requested you send them to [email protected]

http://getjailbird.com/
    Last edited by Poseidon79; 01-14-2009 at 10:49 PM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

BazookaAce (02-25-2009), E-Dragon (01-27-2009), kk_maths97 (01-15-2009), mianlien (01-21-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,086 Times in 224 Posts

Nice!!!

thank goodness...R.I.P winpwn

Thanks

Default Perfect timing
    This is just wait I been waitng for, since I upgraded to 2.2
    I do have a 3g but I kept this one just in case. Thanks (Igods) Dev Masters

dont understand the big deal over quickpwn, someone explain please?

what is the big different ? , i see its do the same thing that winpwn do , they only change name and design or maybe this will be release from another Jailbreak team , IDONT KNOW but its the same

Quote Originally Posted by imflickr View Post
    what is the big different ? , i see its do the same thing that winpwn do , they only change name and design or maybe this will be release from another Jailbreak team , IDONT KNOW but its the same
    My guess is it will now unlock 3G phones on top of the usual jailbreak. I don't think WinPWN could do that but I'm no expert.
    If I helped you please hit the THANKS button

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

No it's has never been able to u lock just JB. winpwn hasn't come out since 2.0.2 I think. One major difference between this and quicklwn (which is all of users had for 2.2) you are unable to change the size of the root partition.

^^ Not just that but custom boot images will be a LOT easier. Hopefully this project will be updated often enough to jump the hurdles that apple sends our way.
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream! Springboard screwy after reboot? Here is the fix

Having only recently got an iPhone I have read of resizing Root partitions - but thought this was only for FW <2.0
    What are the advantages - and what's the point?

As for creating custom ipsw files, this couldn't be done on Windows when people wanted to update to FW 2.2 but preserve the BB of 2.1 (although, as it turned out, they didn't need to!), again, what are the advantages - what can I do with a custom ipsw and why would I want one.

I know that with the original iPhone and before the App store and FW2.0+ jailbraking was virtually a necessity but now it's a 'nice to have' - is it the same with the ability to create custom ipsws?

Sorry for the newbie questions!
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mwr_allen's Avatar
    Thanks

Why does it not automatically install yellowsn0w so it can be more simple for non advanced users to unlock the 3G iPhone?

I'm excited! Everyone loves a good alternative. I hope i can delete all the other softwares now.

Is Winpwn the same as Qwickpwn? Thats what i use to jailbreak and it worked flawlessly

Can't wait for this, even though I really don't feel I need to upgrade from the 2.1 FW I currently have. What is the main difference between 2.1 and 2.2? If the differences are small, I probably wont upgrade thus I wont need Jailbird, but it is still good to have regardless since I dont have a Mac.

Thanks

Finally....Couldn't be happier. Well maybe when my daughter was born.

The differences are small - main ones being streetview in Google Maps and being able to download podcasts direct to the phone. But there are lots of minor bug fixes - including the 'Any number is an emergency number' bug.

What's the reason for NOT upgrading?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    The differences are small - main ones being streetview in Google Maps and being able to download podcasts direct to the phone. But there are lots of minor bug fixes - including the 'Any number is an emergency number' bug.

What's the reason for NOT upgrading?
    I think this post was directed to me.....Well, when I upgraded from FW 1.1.4 to 2.1, I had to use a friend's MacBook (since I am a windows user, PWNage tool was available at the time but no solution was available for Windows users). I just hate to keep asking to use his computer to upgrade everytime the firmware is updated, so i decided to either wait til I got my own MacBook (which wont happen at least until mid-year) and just keep my current FW at 2.1, or wait for a windows based jailbreak to be released since winpwn fell to the wayside. Plus, I dont use/need the streetview in Google Maps, I have an iPod in which I can download podcasts to, and I dont have any bugs (or at least any known bugs that are a pain in the neck). I dont know, I just hate starting from the beginning everytime a new FW is released (a little lazy I guess).

I waited the longest amount of time to go from 1.1.2 to 1.1.4 then to 2.1, so if you can convince me that 2.2 is SO MUCH BETTER THAN 2.1, I think I will wait for another huge improvement in the FW versions.

Thanks for the advice from everyone who reads this, cause I'm a novice who learned everything about the iPhone/jailbreaking on my own and I am still learning!

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,277 Times in 652 Posts

2.2 is more stable / less app crashes

Quote Originally Posted by cash7c3 View Post
    2.2 is more stable / less app crashes
    Cool, I guess I will wait until someone uses the new jailbird program before I upgrade.

But I still dont have that many apps that crash (one or two at the most). Every FW upgrade is supposed to be more stable than the previous one, the question I have is HOW MUCH MORE STABLE (numerically, if we are talking 10% more stable that's no big deal to me compared to being, for instance, 25% more stable). I hear everyone but I think I will wait a while before upgrading.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast