+ Reply
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 116

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Palm Pre: Competition for the iPhone?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
...
  1. #1
    iPhone? More like MyPhone AppleChic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    145
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 71 Times in 39 Posts

    Default Palm Pre: Competition for the iPhone?


    Palm has announced the Palm Pre, what some critics and consumers think is a smart phone that will match if not out do the iPhone.

    The phone was announced at the Consumer Electronics Show and runs off an entirely new OS, Palm webOS. Jon Rubinstein explains:

    "[The operating system] needs to be more than a bundle of apps bolted on top of a phone. We all live complex lives and keep our information all over the place. The opportunity is to take all that information, put it all in one place in your hand and be able to access it quickly and let all the data interact."

    What this means is that the Palm Pre can integrate your Facebook and your work email – it has full support for Exchange.

    The key specs include:

    " 3.1in 320x 480 touchscreen, 8GB of storage, UMTS HDSPA support (in the UK version of the phone), 802.11bg WLAN, Bluetooth and GPS. It also includes a slide-out Qwerty keyboard, 3.5mm headphone jack and (the) 'fastest ever' Texas Instruments OMAP processor."

    Multi-touch is also supported and even goes beyond the screen. Matias Duarte, Palm's senior director for human interface and user experience says "this opens up a whole new world of gestures. Flick back from right to left and it goes back, like turning a page in a book."

    The Pre is missing some big stuff though – mainly video streaming and a decent music player. However, you can remove the back and replace the battery.

    The Pre is also not available yet. Palm says it will be ready "as soon as possible" in the first half of 2009.

    It looks OK, but I like the iPhone as an iPod…and I would not trade that.

    Source: PC Pro: News: Palm announces killer phone
    AppleChic


  2. The Following User Says Thank You to AppleChic For This Useful Post:

    loafomatic (01-09-2009)

  3. #2
    iPhone? More like MyPhone bbplayer5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    295
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 23 Times in 17 Posts

    Nothing like using sprint lol

  4. #3
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NW
    Posts
    60
    Thanks
    27
    Thanked 11 Times in 5 Posts

    Terrible camera work! I dont think it'll provide much competition for Apple, but it might take a few would-be users. It seems like a cheaper version on the iPhone to me.

  5. #4
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    169
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts

    How many times have we heard this before?

    The classic iPhone killer.

  6. #5
    iPhone? More like MyPhone cjgonzales1900's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    168
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 26 Times in 22 Posts

    well i think its new not something like the iphone it adds to the iphone, the one thing i do like is that it has a sort of spaces thing in it. so you can change to a different application without exiting the current one, which i have to do all the time. also i like that they arent just copying the iphone they take it to a new level with the different touch interface and adding a keyboard so you can use it if you want to. it looks good and it beter be on a GSM network so i can get it for att or unlocked lol
    "Answering 1 Question at a Time."

    iPhone 4: 32GB iOS 4.1 JB
    MacBook Pro 13.3": 2.26ghz/4GB/160GB SL 10.6.5
    iMac 21.5": 3.06ghz/4GB/500GB SL 10.6.5

  7. #6
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    90
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts

    I LOL'd at the Apple fanboi responses.

    Did you people actually look at the interface and read about the innovations this thing has. It improves on the iPhone in a number of ways. I still love the iPhone, but the Pre is definite competition and hopefully will keep the fire burning under the Apple engineers.

    Also, it most likely won't be locked to Sprint forever.

  8. #7
    Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Iowa (ISU for Vet School!)
    Posts
    3,920
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked 310 Times in 264 Posts

    Seems marginally better than the iphone, but not by enough to make me drop the iphone. The iphone killer in my eyes is going to be the phone that does all the iphone does but releases ALL of the stupid restrictions that Apple has placed on the Appstore... The storm almost had it right minus the absence of wifi and crappy CRAPPY media playback.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

    A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

  9. #8
    Theme Creator ebl4287's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Manhattan, NYC
    Posts
    1,098
    Thanks
    31
    Thanked 1,086 Times in 224 Posts

    Palm has not showed me anything that was creative,inventive or just plain cool. Alot of the features that were shown were straight rip offs from iPhone, 3rd party apps and Apple in general (Gestures, scrolling..ect.)

    The only thing i liked about this phone was the smoothness and the transitions between apps.

    I wish someone would get it right and do something creative and unique just like apple showed us back in 07 with the iPhone. I remember my jaw dropping when i first saw the keynote presentation on the iPhone, i couldn't believe a phone was capable of the things this phone has.

    I'm sick of company's naming there phones "iPhone Killer". Be yourself...Be original..But anyways.....Palm sux..I hate palm..lol

  10. #9
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    90
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by ebl4287 View Post
    Palm has not showed me anything that was creative,inventive or just plain cool. Alot of the features that were shown were straight rip offs from iPhone, 3rd party apps and Apple in general (Gestures, scrolling..ect.)

    The only thing i liked about this phone was the smoothness and the transitions between apps.

    I wish someone would get it right and do something creative and unique just like apple showed us back in 07 with the iPhone. I remember my jaw dropping when i first saw the keynote presentation on the iPhone, i couldn't believe a phone was capable of the things this phone has.

    I'm sick of company's naming there phones "iPhone Killer". Be yourself...Be original..But anyways.....Palm sux..I hate palm..lol
    Another Apple fanboi here. I can't believe you people. Your hate for Palm (or lust for Apple) is clearly blinding you to the innovations Palm has done here.

    Apple raised and set the bar in the smartphone world with the iPhone, that's why every new smartphone gets compared to it. Isn't imitation the greatest form of flattery? The iPhone was the first to implement innovative features, and the Pre does copy some of those innovations, improves upon them, and even has many unique innovations.

    The Pre does copy the iPhone in scrolling, gestures, and the web browser, but the Pre is innovative in using the gesture area below the screen. I wondered from the beginning why Apple never designed the iPhone to use the area by the Home button for gestures. Also the wavy shortcut bar thingy (whatever it's called) is unique and supposedly useful.

    The Pre adds an innovative way to multitask, I hope the iPhone adds this ability sometime in the future. The Pre doesn't kick you out of the current app when receiving a call/SMS. I don't really appreciate when my iPhone kicks me out of my current app.

    The hardware is innovate having a slide out keyboard (I really like the soft keyboard now though), but this gives people options. Hopefully the Pre will add a soft keyboard eventually.

    The Pre is the first mainstream electronic device to use induction charging. I'd love it if the iPhone had this.

    The Pre is the 1st phone to integrate social networking and other sites to collect and assemble contact and calendar information.

    So why don't you open your eyes and just be happy that there's another competitor out there to keep Apple on their toes.

  11. #10
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    70
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    if this was the keynote where steve jobs introduced the iphone, all the people there would be ohh-ing and ahh-ing.... honestly, this is the first phone that ive seen that even remotley challanges the iphone...... and almost everyone here is bashing it....

    i mean, honestly, i really LOVE my iphone, it has one of the best touch screens and GUI, but i mean, can we just stop over-glorifying this phone for one second and see that there are phones that just MIGHT be better?

  12. #11
    Green Apple smuth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    87
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    I agree with T-Will
    2G iPhone:8Gb/unlocked/T-Mobile/T-Zones ($5.99)/FW2.2.1(5H11)
    LOST in the frozen backcountry of Copper Mountain, CO

    iPhone: 3G/8Gb/unlocked/T-Mobile/T-zones ($5.99)/FW3.1.2

    Mac: because two mouse buttons are scary.

  13. #12
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    70
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    thank you T-Will, one of the first Down to earth posts in this thread...

    "bad artist copy, great artist steal"
    -pablo picaso

  14. #13
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Near Worcester MA
    Posts
    329
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts

    There were 5 segments to the video I watched.
    I watched the fist video with the, here we go again. About 3/4 of the way through the first video I becam more and more intrigued.
    By the start of the 3rd video I started scratching my head wondering why such an innovative company like apple seems to be sitting on their heels. The forums are loaded with griping and moaning how apple needs to add this, that and the other thing.

    Then when other companies introduce the items/functions and more their devices are bashed.

    sprint may not win many iphone users but I think one of Sprints goals was to stop or slow the departures of customers. Now they have a reason.

  15. #14
    Theme Creator ebl4287's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Manhattan, NYC
    Posts
    1,098
    Thanks
    31
    Thanked 1,086 Times in 224 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by T-Will View Post
    Another Apple fanboi here. I can't believe you people. Your hate for Palm (or lust for Apple) is clearly blinding you to the innovations Palm has done here.

    Apple raised and set the bar in the smartphone world with the iPhone, that's why every new smartphone gets compared to it. Isn't imitation the greatest form of flattery? The iPhone was the first to implement innovative features, and the Pre does copy some of those innovations, improves upon them, and even has many unique innovations.

    The Pre does copy the iPhone in scrolling, gestures, and the web browser, but the Pre is innovative in using the gesture area below the screen. I wondered from the beginning why Apple never designed the iPhone to use the area by the Home button for gestures. Also the wavy shortcut bar thingy (whatever it's called) is unique and supposedly useful.

    The Pre adds an innovative way to multitask, I hope the iPhone adds this ability sometime in the future. The Pre doesn't kick you out of the current app when receiving a call/SMS. I don't really appreciate when my iPhone kicks me out of my current app.

    The hardware is innovate having a slide out keyboard (I really like the soft keyboard now though), but this gives people options. Hopefully the Pre will add a soft keyboard eventually.

    The Pre is the first mainstream electronic device to use induction charging. I'd love it if the iPhone had this.

    The Pre is the 1st phone to integrate social networking and other sites to collect and assemble contact and calendar information.

    So why don't you open your eyes and just be happy that there's another competitor out there to keep Apple on their toes.
    First of all, Im not a apple fanboy...i can care less about apple or palm...

    im just stating FACTS. I would love to have phones get better and better, but it looks like Palm is taking baby steps which doesn't lead to Success in the long run. C'mon man.. this phone looks like a chubby iPhone for god sakes... 4 icon dock at the bottom, even the contact info menu looks IDENTICAL to the iPhone. The Gesture feature is cute but its not INNOVATIVE! its not going to make headlines...And are you talking about Facebook integration? are you serious?..lol..Keyboard? (G1 Android)..smh..anyways..

    The reason why i said i hate Palm was because i owned a Palm Treo 680 before i purchased my iPhone... the first week i purchased my treo, i was having problems and had to replace it...in all.. i had to replace my Treo 3 times in 2 weeks.. very exciting..i know..

    i don't just talk out of my *** buddy.. i know what im talking about..i just wish there were more creative, fresh and innovative phones out there

    PALM PRE (FAILS)
    Last edited by ebl4287; 01-09-2009 at 05:53 PM.

  16. #15
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    90
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by ebl4287 View Post
    First of all, Im not a apple fanboy...i can care less about apple or palm...

    im just stating FACTS. I would love to have phones get better and better, but it looks like Palm is taking baby steps which doesn't lead to Success in the long run. C'mon man.. this phone looks like a chubby iPhone for god sakes... 4 icon dock at the bottom, even the contact info menu looks IDENTICAL to the iPhone. The Gesture feature is cute but its not INNOVATIVE! its not going to make headlines...And are you talking about Facebook integration? are you serious?..lol..Keyboard? (G1 Android)..smh..anyways..

    The reason why i said i hate Palm was because i owned a Palm Treo 680 before i purchased my iPhone... the first week i purchased my treo, i was having problems and had to replace it...in all.. i had to replace my Treo 3 times in 2 weeks.. very exciting..i know..

    i don't just talk out of my *** buddy.. i know what im talking about..i just wish there were more creative, fresh and innovative phones out there

    PALM PRE (FAILS)
    Thanks for explaining the Palm hatred, I'd be a little ticked off too if I had to go through that trouble! I'd still give the company a chance though and actually try out the device before making a hard judgement.

    I'm just curious though, in what ways could any company make smartphones more innovative?

    Most of the interface elements are just the most common sense and useful approach to doing certain things (having the most important icons at the bottom for easy access to your most used programs, flick scrolling, etc.).

  17. #16
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    70
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    I can say the same for the iphone.......

    PALM PRE (WINS)

  18. #17
    Developer/Hacker JStraitiff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    2,391
    Thanks
    81
    Thanked 283 Times in 214 Posts

    it will be the end of the world when somthing beats any apple product except another apple product

    everyone is just looking for somthing to beat the iphone but to tell u the truth nothing is going to except another new and improved apple phone

    every time somthing new comes out everyone says it will be the iphone killer well guess what the storm was close but still sucks because of the responsiveness and the android was cool for like 10 seconds until apple came out with a software update

  19. #18
    Theme Creator ebl4287's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Manhattan, NYC
    Posts
    1,098
    Thanks
    31
    Thanked 1,086 Times in 224 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by him121213 View Post
    it will be the end of the world when somthing beats any apple product except another apple product

    everyone is just looking for somthing to beat the iphone but to tell u the truth nothing is going to except another new and improved apple phone

    every time somthing new comes out everyone says it will be the iphone killer well guess what the storm was close but still sucks because of the responsiveness and the android was cool for like 10 seconds until apple came out with a software update
    thats actually true..lol

  20. #19
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    42
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by ebl4287 View Post
    i don't just talk out of my *** buddy.. i know what im talking about..i just wish there were more creative, fresh and innovative phones out there

    PALM PRE (FAILS)
    I guess opinions might vary on where you're talking out of. Based upon the LARGE BOLD TYPE in the last line of your message, I think your *** is exactly where you're talking out of.

    How can you make that proclamation of it's failure, from any other orifice without having even held one in your hand, and before it has even come to market?

    Look, the Pre has a chance if only by offering freedom of choice. Something Apple has shown to not be very good at.

    Palm seems to have reviewed the smartphone landscape and addressed most of the issues users have complained about, in not only Palm products, but also Apple, and Blackberry. If the Pre ends up being anywhere near what they have just hyped, it will certainly succeed.

  21. #20
    Theme Creator ebl4287's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Manhattan, NYC
    Posts
    1,098
    Thanks
    31
    Thanked 1,086 Times in 224 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by prgeno View Post
    I guess opinions might vary on where you're talking out of. Based upon the LARGE BOLD TYPE in the last line of your message, I think your *** is exactly where you're talking out of.

    How can you make that proclamation of it's failure, from any other orifice without having even held one in your hand, and before it has even come to market?

    Look, the Pre has a chance if only by offering freedom of choice. Something Apple has shown to not be very good at.

    Palm seems to have reviewed the smartphone landscape and addressed most of the issues users have complained about, in not only Palm products, but also Apple, and Blackberry. If the Pre ends up being anywhere near what they have just hyped, it will certainly succeed.

    Im talking out of my ***?? i got a question for you..im sure you saw the video...

    Please tell me a must have feature that the Palm Pre has..........i'll wait.........
    Last edited by ebl4287; 01-09-2009 at 06:35 PM.

+ Reply
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts