+ Reply
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Palm Pre: Competition for the iPhone?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by calingasan I'm guessing that the reason a lot of "fanbois" as you call them, are frustrated with new technologies is that because apple thought of it first.
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by calingasan View Post
    I'm guessing that the reason a lot of "fanbois" as you call them, are frustrated with new technologies is that because apple thought of it first. Even if the Pre is better than the iphone or that windows mobile 7 has more functionality... its just darn annoying to see an original product get copied. I'm not saying that all the other product that resembles an iphone is a complete rip off of the iphone, its just that the similarities exist and these similarities makes "fanbois" wonder why other companies make new and original products.

To my opinion anyway, i think that similarities and the stealing of ideas gives way to better products. Its not ethical but as a consumer in a big market, the likes of "microsoft" or "palm" or any other company accused of stealing ideas sets the standard of the technology we have now a nudge higher. As a fanboi, this only means that apple will continue innovate and compete with the likes of palm, htc, microsoft, etc giving us better and better products.

Apple didn't invent the wide screen telephone dude, or the touch screen, they're just the ones that brought it to the mainstream in North America. I'm pretty sure they didn't invent MMS, SMS, email on phone, web browsing on the phone ( see Opera ), taking pictures on the phone, etc...

All they did was put a bunch of features together on a custom shell running on top of stripped down Linux OS ( let's be honest, this isn't no MacOS) and in the body of a souped up iPod and that's it.

The only "innovation" they made is their UI, which some consider revolutionary, although having a desktop with a bunch of icons doesn't seem that crazy to me

Oh and their competitors do need to copy them up to a certain point, otherwise they wouldn't be competitive.

Have fun when Apple adds all the features the Pre has into a iPhone 3.0, just to get some more cash from the herd.

Thanks

About DiskAid, while a lovely program and all, it completely defeats the purpose of using the iphone as a usb mass storage drive. For either mac or windows you have to first download, and then install the program before you can use it to access your iphone. While this is all well and good on fully accessible systems, it can't be done on systems that have either restricted access to the internet or changing the system files, which is the case with the computers at my workplace. The restricted access also keeps me from accessing air sharing as a server, meaning no file access. And no wifi there either just kills all options...

However, my old cell phone can be used as a usb mass storage device, and since my card reader died, that's exactly what I'm using as usb memory now.

I must say that I do find the situation quite sad indeed.....

Thanks

Don't know if someone posted this link already but it's a good demo of the phone at CES: Palm.com : Media Library

Thanks

i don't think this will compete at all. As for all the iphone killers... refer to my sig

iPhone? More like MyPhone calingasan's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BenzoHartt View Post
    ...deep down inside it really wants to be an iphone

Green Apple
    Thanks

:d
    lol!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Just another Palm. I troubleshoot Palms on a daily basis as well. Same ol' problem. My phone won't stop hotsyncing, it keeps rebooting, when i look up a contact it'll just dial by itself.

Listen I can go on and on. I troubleshoot high end devices all day every day. It's my job. I know phones inside out. I can walk you through any blackberry, palm, windows mobile device off the top of my head like I have it right in front of me. I don't just talk to just talk.

Many developers for windows mobile have migrated over to apple iPhone b/c of the endless potentials of the phone. Like I said I've owned iPaq beetles, pdas, 8125, tytnI, tytnII, pantech duo (for a week), crapjack II (worst phone ever). Good luck calling Palm too. They have no idea what's going on and by the time you get someone in AMERICA it's been like 2 hours from what I'm told from users of Palms.
    Android user suffering from iPhone withdraw.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gQstatus05 View Post
    Just another Palm. I troubleshoot Palms on a daily basis as well. Same ol' problem. My phone won't stop hotsyncing, it keeps rebooting, when i look up a contact it'll just dial by itself.

Listen I can go on and on. I troubleshoot high end devices all day every day. It's my job. I know phones inside out. I can walk you through any blackberry, palm, windows mobile device off the top of my head like I have it right in front of me. I don't just talk to just talk.

Many developers for windows mobile have migrated over to apple iPhone b/c of the endless potentials of the phone. Like I said I've owned iPaq beetles, pdas, 8125, tytnI, tytnII, pantech duo (for a week), crapjack II (worst phone ever). Good luck calling Palm too. They have no idea what's going on and by the time you get someone in AMERICA it's been like 2 hours from what I'm told from users of Palms.
    u mad?

I hate the outsourcing too, but I'm giving Palm a chance by not calling the Pre a failure BEFORE it's even released.

Thanks

to me the os name is effy "webos"... when i hear that, i think of a os that talks back and forth to a severr or the web, watching every thing u do on the phone... hahaha just what i think.

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thaforgottenone View Post
    to me the os name is effy "webos"... when i hear that, i think of a os that talks back and forth to a severr or the web, watching every thing u do on the phone... hahaha just what i think.
    While it doesn't actually work like that, that's the idea behind it, to keep you connected with everything at all times.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Yeah I've had to call Palm a couple of times and it's a shame that they can't even pronounce the names of their phones let alone know what they are doing. I get so happy when I hear an American voice when I call dell, etc. A product is only as good as it's support. That's what I think. I guess we'll see if MMi regulars decide to abandon ship.
    Android user suffering from iPhone withdraw.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gQstatus05 View Post
    Yeah I've had to call Palm a couple of times and it's a shame that they can't even pronounce the names of their phones let alone know what they are doing. I get so happy when I hear an American voice when I call dell, etc. A product is only as good as it's support. That's what I think. I guess we'll see if MMi regulars decide to abandon ship.
    Was just thinking, since every time i have a problem with my iphone, i go straight to modmyi. Does this mean that there will be a modmypre soon to come?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    The Pre fails to impress me because of its OS. HTML/JavaScript apps? You have got to be kidding me.

However, it does have a market of its own, just not appealing to the power users that make up the majority of the iPhone base. It could succeed, but it's no iPhone killer.

Thanks

Why do people always want to kill the iphone?

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Why do people always want to kill the iphone?
    Gotta get rid of the first if you want to be the first yourself.

I for one really want the iPhone to have a run for its money. Maybe then Apple will get off their pedestal and starts giving us the features we should have had since day 1.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Miniver Cheevy View Post
    The Pre fails to impress me because of its OS. HTML/JavaScript apps? You have got to be kidding me.

However, it does have a market of its own, just not appealing to the power users that make up the majority of the iPhone base . It could succeed, but it's no iPhone killer.
    LOL power users are the majority ? You must be confused.

Every teeny bopper who has owned an iPod probably owns an iPhone now.

Most iPhone users don't unlock and jailbreak their own phones.

Most iPhone users have no clue what Mobile Terminal or Linux is, or what to do with it, etc.

Green Apple
    Thanks

one area in which Palm has done EXTREMELY well in the past is the number of applications developers have created for Palm products. No walled garden (i.e. Apple) means much more innovation. Not saying I like it better, just a point... for an example check out the apps avaialable at PalmGear.com: Download Palm Software for your Treo, Centro, Tungsten, LifeDrive or other Palm OS Device

may or may not work on the Pre but gives you and idea of the dev community for Palm

Green Apple
    Thanks

Last edited by dontmakemehurtu; 01-26-2010 at 09:20 AM. Reason: deleted post

Thanks

Default iphone killer
    First of all Iphone killer is a apple fan boy slang for "nothing better than my iphone" if apple would invest as much energy in iphone as they did prior to the first one being released to the market..we have something to talk about. I loved the new concepts of palm pre ie card ..keep apps running in background , merging contacts from around the web! The sms,mms,email and IM all in one line of conversation.NICE! 2 i am just suprised apple is a computer company..why in the hell is palm coming out with cards ie apps running in background and alot of the other things i saw from CES ,cant apple do that with their OS.3 ..I want a phone thats not reliant on itunes ! itunes sucks *** on a pc. If the iphone could draw and sync contacts on its own with the web..that would be KILLER.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tdub View Post
    First of all Iphone killer is a apple fan boy slang for "nothing better than my iphone" if apple would invest as much energy in iphone as they did prior to the first one being released to the market..we have something to talk about. I loved the new concepts of palm pre ie card ..keep apps running in background , merging contacts from around the web! The sms,mms,email and IM all in one line of conversation.NICE! 2 i am just suprised apple is a computer company..why in the hell is palm coming out with cards ie apps running in background and alot of the other things i saw from CES ,cant apple do that with their OS.3 ..I want a phone thats not reliant on itunes ! itunes sucks *** on a pc. If the iphone could draw and sync contacts on its own with the web..that would be KILLER.
    +1 !!!