Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Palm Pre: Competition for the iPhone?

The major flaw of the iPhone is the keyboard, that is the only way the Pre is better than the iPhone, in everything else, iPhone basically dominates the Pre, because almost all of the features of the Pre can be achieved with applications on the iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by xzero View Post
    The major flaw of the iPhone is the keyboard, that is the only way the Pre is better than the iPhone, in everything else, iPhone basically dominates the Pre, because almost all of the features of the Pre can be achieved with applications on the iPhone.
    how about these, apple COULD do it but they still choose not to:
    - gps navigation
    - multitasking
    - open sdk
    - notifications
    - wireless charger
    - copy & paste
    - bt tethering/ad2p
    - full use of BT
    - usb mass storage
    - mms
    - 3mp cam with led flash
    - exchangable battery
    - keyboard
    - adobe flash

Some of these features could be done after jailbreaking the phone, but that's not the point.
    Last edited by Celf; 01-10-2009 at 04:35 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone huey85's Avatar
    Thanks

I actually don't mind this phone at all. Too bad they limited it to only 8GB with no mention of expandable memory.

Quote Originally Posted by xzero View Post
    That is an interesting statement. The iPhone DOMINATES the Pre because ALMOST all of the features can be achieved....

Quote Originally Posted by mallenass View Post
    AND will it be as "modding-friendly" as the iphone????.......dont think so.

ill stick with my iphone for now
    Nobody is asking you to switch, but think about what you asked/said:

The Pre has a wide open SDK, and Apple's is overly restrictive. Palm has a long history of supporting 3rd party developers and "modders". Which one do you think is more modding friendly?

Quote Originally Posted by GTghost View Post
    That looks nice 'n all, but I like iPhone better when its Jailbroken.
    Another intersting comment:

The Pre won't need to be jailbroken, as Palm won't restrict developers the way Apple has.
    Last edited by prgeno; 01-10-2009 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by GTghost View Post
    That looks nice 'n all, but I like iPhone better when its Jailbroken.
    I agree.

ROFLMAO @ the fanboi-ism on this forum!!!

The person who made the point about the inability to sync the iTunes library with the Pre, definitely makes a good point though. This could be a make or break feature for a lot of people.

More videos of WebOS: http://i.gizmodo.com/5126752/palm-pre-full-video-tours
    Last edited by T-Will; 01-10-2009 at 09:01 AM.

Am I the only one who's eager for some REAL competition against the iPhone? This looks like the best so far they've thrown against it. The best part is that there's going to be a global GSM/3G model of the Pre coming a little later after they sell a couple on Sprint, so chances are you'll eventually be able to use this on AT&T/T-Mobile/Whatever.

Guys, the iPhone is great but let's be honest, it could be so much better. But you won't see it change if it stays in the top (why would Apple need to change a phone that beats everything just the way it is?).

Competition is GOOD for everyone. I'm really curious as to how the Pre is shaping up and will love to give it a try once it comes out.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

Thanks

i like it.. but not digging the slide keyboard.touch screen is the way to go. a phone that has less of a button/flip/slide keypad ect..is more sexy and the iphone shows that thoe the iphone should of got a memory bumped up when 3g was release and a bit better cam with flash maybe a cam on front..

not a iphone killer but a good new competition for it
    THANK ME THANK THANK AGAIN..

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Palm comes out with like 3 new phones every 5 years. I would never get a PALM.

Google: palm phones are garbage

and read the reviews that come up.

I fix high end phones every day as part of my job and they are horrible. Always have software glitches where phone will just continuously reboot, etc.
    Android user suffering from iPhone withdraw.

This is a bad ***** phone, and to say its being released in SIX months. Do you know how many more improvements are going to be made to this phone? Apple really needs to step it up this time. And I saw a list earlier that someone made about the features the Pre will have compared to the iPhone, and I was . Apple better bring their "A" game this summer.

Pre has these features that the iPhone don't have:

- gps navigation
    - multitasking
    - open sdk
    - notifications
    - wireless charger
    - copy & paste
    - bt tethering/ad2p
    - usb mass storage
    - microusb2
    - mms
    - 3mp cam with led flash
    - nice cases/accessories available @ releasedate
    - exchangable battery
    - keyboard
    - adobe flash
    - universal search

APPLE, better be on it this summer!

Quote Originally Posted by gQstatus05 View Post
    Palm comes out with like 3 new phones every 5 years. I would never get a PALM.

Google: palm phones are garbage

and read the reviews that come up.

I fix high end phones every day as part of my job and they are horrible. Always have software glitches where phone will just continuously reboot, etc.
    Good point about the software glitches, that makes a lot of sense because the Pre totally uses PalmOS/Windows Mobile. You make a lot of sense there...

This phone has something all the other "iPhone killers" don't - a truly cool OS. The thing I love about my iPhone isn't the apps so much as it is the OS. The best feature on the Pre has to to be its multitasking and the manner in which it is executed. Of course we've yet to see how this effects battery life. I'll reserve judgment until I've actually handled the device but so far I'm impressed at least with the OS. That been said, I'm not switching to Sprint and I'm not a huge fan of the Pre's overall design.

Apple should respond with some major changes in 3.0 - the usual stuff the iPhone doesn't have (C&P, MMS etc...) and multitasking, basically more than the upgrade they gave us with 2.0. The Pre isn't going to knock the iPhone off the top spot - the iPhone simply has too big of a loyal customer base and that "cool company" factor going for it. However the Pre will provide real competition diversifying the smart phone market a little further. You have to hand it to a company that most have given up for dead for coming up with the first OS that actually looks like it can rival the iPhone's.

And remember, this is a completely new OS. Reviews of older Palms are pretty useless. Palm's recent and well deserved less-than-stellar reputation will be a hindrance at first but if this new OS gets good reviews and turns out to be stable I think we have a new player here, one that will probably have more success than Google, Samsung, etc...
    Last edited by solarus; 01-10-2009 at 12:12 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by T-Will View Post
    Good point about the software glitches, that makes a lot of sense because the Pre totally uses PalmOS/Windows Mobile. You make a lot of sense there...
    Ok. First phone of it's kind with WebOS, I guarantee a whole slew of problems. Palm is trash except for their old pda/information devices.

I don't see a phone catching up the iPhone in a long stretch. iPhone is already badass and it'll just get better. People complain that the iPhone doesnt have MMS, C&P. My iPhone had all those things. Bluetooth file sharing is in the works and will be cracked soon without a doubt. It's all about marketing Apple knows what it's doing.

Default Wth
    I made one comment on youtube back at all the iPhone haters, and now Im in a heated back and forth or personal attacks from all these palm fans. This phone fails. iPhone pwns all.

another touch screen phone failure.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    Wow, I've never seen such a blatant rip-off of Apple UI design. And just like Microsoft, they gleefully blaze through the demo as if every idea was their own.

Apple: Think Original
    Didn't two of the higher level developers come from apple?

maybe they are building on their original ideas that they weren't able to implement while at apple.

Why don't you guys just wait and give Palm a chance? If it ends up that it sucks, I'll be the first to admit it, but I haven't had a chance to try the Pre and see it firsthand, so I'm not drawing any conclusions yet.

I think it's laughable that the Palm haterz are already saying that WebOS sucks without trying it. Personally, I NEVER liked Palm, I admit I'm a Palm hater (I've always been a Windows Mobile guy), PalmOS was too simplistic and barely advanced at all over the years, but WebOS looks like a HUGE step and I'm willing to give them a chance.

I still love my iPhone though and am extremely happy with it and wouldn't trade it for anything at this point.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

WebOS = Epic Fail. I'm tired of all the non-originating biters in the phone industry. The iPhone comes out and all of a sudden everyone and their mother wants to copy. Here's a list.

Samsung Instinct (Sprint, supposed iPhone killer) = Epic Fail

LG Incite (AT&T, iPhone wannabe) = Epic Fail

Blackberry Storm (Verizon, iPhone look a like. It's still just a blackberry with tons of software glitches) = Epic Fail

The list goes on and on and on. I could continue but I don't have the time to break it down for you guys. Palm is not consistent with their products, their own tech support blows, they are horrible in my opinion. TO stay in the game you have to be consistent and original.

LOL gotta love all the fanboi posts.

Personally, I'll be unlocking and selling my iPhone 3g and getting the Pre if it is all that it's hyped up to be.

Good riddance shitTunes, good riddance to ****** Bluetooth support.

The only thing that makes the iPhone appealing is if you jailbreak it, and even then, applications will crash the phone.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

The applications you download, you can always change permissions to fix that. I never had apps crash on me frequently. All my previous phones have been windows mobile. This is my first change.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast