+ Reply
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Palm Pre: Competition for the iPhone?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
tell me a must have feature of iPhone..... and ill say that it has it too and more..... im waiting....
    Green Apple
    Thanks

tell me a must have feature of iPhone..... and ill say that it has it too and more..... im waiting....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,086 Times in 224 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alien mars18 View Post
    lol..am i speaking to a little kid? the idea is to NOT compare the iPhone to the Pre. but if you want to do comparisons, i would gladly do that

Livin the iPhone Life TheOrioles33's Avatar
    Thanks

WTF?!! No landscape typing?!! Sound familiar?

That UI is pretty bad *** (awesome).
    Last edited by TheOrioles33; 01-09-2009 at 07:07 PM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

nothings gona happen there have been so many "iphone killers" since last year and every one has failed or been forgotten in less then a month

why? two reasons:
    1)Bad UI (just cuz it has a touchscreen dosent mean its 'touchable', porting the razor UI will make the touchscreen more of a hurtle then a feature)
    2)iPod, the iphone is the only phone of witch i know witch without hacking to have iTunes music. All other phones make you rebuy all the music from your ipod to windows DRM or there own)

can applechic stop with the crappy news

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ebl4287 View Post
    Im talking out of my ***?? i got a question for you..im sure you saw the video...

Please tell me a must have feature that the Palm Pre has..........i'll wait.........
    The ability to multitask without having to quit the application you are in just to start another. Thats a major one in my opinion.

Dont get me wrong though i love my iphone as much as anyone else here. I mean i wouldnt be leaving a post in this forum if i wasnt right?

What people need to realize is yes apple did set the bar in the smartphone world and yes they make great products. But now that the bar has been set it would be biased and one sided to think that the bar can never be topped by anybody other then apple. In my opinion its only a matter of time. Especially if apple continues to have deaf ears to what its loyal customers want from their fancy dandy expensive iphones that cant even do some of the most basic things that your run of the mill $40 phone can do. But when this does happen and somebody does actually create competition for apple im sure then apple might actually listen to its loyal customers and then we will get an even better iphone that raises the bar even higher.

I personally think the new palm looks nice despite its lack of a decent media player and being a sprint phone. It looks like its gonna be the best alternative to the iphone yet. Or in some ways possibly better.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Im talking out of my ***?? i got a question for you..im sure you saw the video...

Please tell me a must have feature that the Palm Pre has..........i'll wait.........
    That's exactly my point. I think you should wait....wait and see, before making such ***inine proclamations.

I've seen more than that one video. The device certainly has promise. Are you looking for features in general, or features that specifically beat the iPhone?

Multitasking, real keyboard, higher resolution camera - with flash, navigation trackball, cut and paste, no artificial limits on developers.....

There's more but I'll stop there.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to prgeno For This Useful Post:

alien mars18 (01-09-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

l0l...
    not even close to comparing next to an iphone
    they got pretty close in achieving the iphones look
    but i really have yet to be impressed by any phone other then the iphone and the iphones capabilities

Keep On Mac'in

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

For ur information yes you can run application on apple's iphone in the background if ur phone is jailbroken and if u install a tweak called "backgrounder" available via cydia. Copy and paste can be solved through an iphone update if wished by apple or a third party developer. That having said naviagation trackball isnt needed on an iphone. there is no point in using trackball at all on the iphone once u have a multitouch screen as good and responsive on the iphone. flash is a downside however, I will give u that. the iphone has a gerogeous high resolution camera.

Quote Originally Posted by prgeno View Post
    That's exactly my point. I think you should wait....wait and see, before making such ***inine proclamations.

I've seen more than that one video. The device certainly has promise. Are you looking for features in general, or features that specifically beat the iPhone?

Multitasking, real keyboard, higher resolution camera - with flash, navigation trackball, cut and paste, no artificial limits on developers.....

There's more but I'll stop there.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

You guys are all hilarious! WTF kind of response do you expect from an iPhone/Mac enthusiast website?! There are over 350,000 members and countless other guest that have dropped hundreds on their iPhone and probably THOUSANDS of dollars in cumulative iPod purchases. To expect anything other than non-iphone bashing would just be foolish. And then to get MAD at people for it on an APPLE themed website is just plain ludicrous.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

SeaPea (01-10-2009)

Thanks

Wow, I've never seen such a blatant rip-off of Apple UI design. And just like Microsoft, they gleefully blaze through the demo as if every idea was their own.

Apple: Think Original
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Personally, I'm not looking for a device or OS that's better than the iPhone. What I think apple needs is a push to be better, maybe then we'll get the applications we want no matter what platform you're on because they'll all be competing to provide them. Apple was king of the hill for too long and needs to be shown that it can't remain complacent anymore. It's time for something new and as good as 3G was, it's not enough.

I bought two iPhones, the original and the 3G. As good as they were, I'm not convinced I'd buy a third. It's time for somebody to dazzle me. Show me something I can't live without; something I won't want to stop using, something indispensable. The iPhone made entertainment and work easier but only after its exchange support but it's amazing that it could be missing the basic features my LG VX9800 had like MMS and voice dialing. Let's see what happens.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Wish they would've shown some web browsing. To be honest that's my favorite aspect of my iPhone I don't think any of these new phones can match the web browsing ability of the iphone.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Virushan View Post
    For ur information yes you can run application on apple's iphone in the background if ur phone is jailbroken and if u install a tweak called "backgrounder" available via cydia. Copy and paste can be solved through an iphone update if wished by apple or a third party developer. That having said naviagation trackball isnt needed on an iphone. there is no point in using trackball at all on the iphone once u have a multitouch screen as good and responsive on the iphone. flash is a downside however, I will give u that. the iphone has a gerogeous high resolution camera.

I use backgrounder, but I don't consider it OS managed multitasking with intertask data sharing and updating.

We can all believe copy and paste can be easily solved, but it isn't, and won't, until Steve says so. Steve has decided we don't need it, regardless of what we think. And no third party developer can fix this, due to the last point I brought up before. Apple's artificial restrictions and limitations placed upon developers in the SDK and their control over all app distribution (Cydia notwithstanding).

The navigation ball will be great for text cursor navigation. I miss not having precise text cursor navigation on the iPhone. I find the little iPhone magnifying glass pop up, to assist placing the ursor while editing text, a pain the ***.

The Pre camera is a higher resolution than the iPhones, and has an LED flash. That is a big improvement.

I'll add a few more:

USB mass storage support.

Real GPS app with turn by turn directions.

More complete Bluetooth implementation.

Removable battery.

There's still more, but I'll stop there.

I like my jailbroken iPhone, but I'm not a fanboy of any piece of technology or company. I think there are obvious improvments that even the almighty Apple can make. What I don't like is the artificial constraints Apple places on it's development and use. It has the most restrictive 3rd party development program of any major platform.

Finally, and the only reason I first responded, there is no way a statement can be made here, that the Pre has failed, before it has even hit the market. It might fail, you might not like it and hope it fails, but it hasn't failed yet. Wait and see when it gets out there.

But think about it this way, if it does succeed, that means good things for us iPhone users, because Apple will then need to respond to the new competition.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Amen prgeno

Je5
    Thanks

This garbage will never compete with an iPhone Palm will never learn from their mistakes, their batteries suck the keyboard sucks unless you are like 7 with little hands... come on...
    Dont be that guy..!!!

Thanks

That looks nice 'n all, but I like iPhone better when its Jailbroken.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

might have been something but with a slide-out keyboard and plastic cover I don't think it's going to be very durable.. plus it looks just awful..

Green Apple
    Thanks

OMG I LOVE IT!
    the OS!
    the quick launch gesture!
    the "deck of cards"
    i love it all!
    i WANT.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mallenass's Avatar
    Thanks

Puhhhhh-lease....that thing is a SLIDER with KEYS...c'mon man! why on earth would you use tiny scrunched together plastic keys when you can put it all on a shiny neat screen???

AND will it be as "modding-friendly" as the iphone????.......dont think so.

ill stick with my iphone for now

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

C'mon man.. this phone looks like a chubby iPhone for god sakes... 4 icon dock at the bottom,

PALM PRE (FAILS)
    ebl4287, 4 icons in a dock is NOT an Apple invention. When I remember well was ZLauncher (Palm launcher replacement) the first to implement icons in a dock. Psion was the first to have hardware icons in a (kind of) dock. The iPhone dock\launcher is blatant rip-off of several Palm replacement launchers!!!!! Google for Zlauncher, X-launcher and SilverScreen...all programs that were launched years and years before the iphone....but for many iPhone owners it's hard to believe that Apple also had a close look at the competition and copied stuff they could use. There's nothing wrong with this....copy from the competition and make it better, that's what Apple did (and many other companies do)

But now Palm uses the same trick....and look at all the posts...unbelievable!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Je5 View Post
    their batteries suck
    you're right, the iPhone had a superb batterylife from day one
    Last edited by Celf; 01-10-2009 at 03:15 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost