Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Sling Coming to iPhone

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,809 Times in 1,229 Posts

Default Sling Coming to iPhone

We chatted with the guys at Sling Media today, and are super excited that they're submitting their iPhone client to the AppStore by March for release. I (and many others) have been waiting for this patiently for a good while. Pricing is not yet available - but can you put a price on Sling on your iPhone?

The app is actually very responsive over wifi - streaming video looked awesome, and favorite channels were easy to set up (but require you to do them from a browser - NOT on the iPhone, a little bummer) and browse on the iPhone. We've got a video, but need to get it transferred over to YouTube. Give it til tonight, we're missing our USB cable. edit: video up

[ame]http://www.vimeo.com/2752258[/ame]

San Francisco Macworld January 6, 2009 Sling Media, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of EchoStar Corporation (NASDAQ: SATS), is demonstrating a version of SlingPlayer Mobile for iPhone being developed for the iTunes store at this year's Macworld. Sling Media will deliver a version of SlingPlayer Mobile for iPhone to Apple for certification in Q1.

Sling Media is also unveiling a prototype of the new SlingPlayer for Mac HD which allows Slingbox PRO-HD users to stream HD content to their Mac desktop or laptop computer. The new SlingPlayer for Mac HD is a web-based version of the SlingPlayer software that will be accessible from Sling.com, Sling Media's recently launched video entertainment web site. Sling Media can be found in two locations at this year's Macworld: The Mac Developer Pavilion- South Hall, #1438 (next to Apple) and the Digital Media and Multimedia Pavilion: North Hall #3526-Q.

"SlingPlayer Mobile is ideally suited for the iPhone's large touch screen display and I know iPhone users are eagerly anticipating the application's availability," said Blake Krikorian, co-founder and CEO of Sling Media. "Add to that HD streaming support for Slingbox PRO-HD customers and live TV support on our video entertainment site, Sling.com, and you can see Sling Media is committed to delivering great solutions for Mac users."

SlingPlayer Mobile gives consumers their entire home TV experience, including local channels, local sports teams, video on demand, pay per view, etc. Any program that you can watch on your sofa back home, you can now watch via your iPhone using a standard broadband network connection. In addition, SlingPlayer Mobile for iPhone users can also control their home digital video recorder (DVR) to watch recorded shows, pause, rewind, and fast forward live TV, or even queue new recordings while away from home.

Pricing and Availability
    SlingPlayer Mobile for iPhone will be submitted to Apple for testing and approval in Q1. It will be compatible with the iPhone and iPod Touch. The price has not been determined at this time. SlingPlayer for Mac HD will be available for free via the web-based SlingPlayer within Sling.com later in Q1. Mac customers will be able to use either Safari or Firefox web browsers to get both HD streaming and Live TV within Sling.com.
    slingmedia.com

edit: Some more images we grabbed yesterday

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks
    FINALLY! People have been begging for this app from Sling Media since BEFORE the iPhone even came out.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by poetic_folly View Post
    but can you put a price on Sling on your iPhone?
    No, no you can not

iPhone? More like MyPhone keda51's Avatar
    Thanks

Thumbs up Wow!
    Drool! to be able to watch my DVR'ed shows on my iPhone...Priceless!!!

Default Yeahhhhhhhh Boy
    I cant wait this is gonna be awesome!

hmmm

wonder if and how well it will work on 3g

Quote Originally Posted by RonMexico View Post
    hmmm

wonder if and how well it will work on 3g
    SlingPlayer Mobile for iPhone announced | Macworld 2009 - CNET Blogs

well it does work over 3g
    Last edited by RonMexico; 01-07-2009 at 02:44 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Sorry to sound like a noob

but can anyone put the features of Sling into easier concepts..

so far what im understanding is Streaming High Quality Video ??

Thanks for the help and Support

---Marz---

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I can put a price on it... 20 bucks tops or they don;t get my money! And if it doesn;t work over 3G, I pass...

Quote Originally Posted by Marz View Post
    Sorry to sound like a noob

but can anyone put the features of Sling into easier concepts..

so far what im understanding is Streaming High Quality Video ??

Thanks for the help and Support

---Marz---
    Did you do a search or anything on Google? It is essentially a DVR meant to be viewed from anywhere via internet connection...
    Last edited by sziklassy; 01-07-2009 at 05:09 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

Will I need any hardware other than the App from the Store that will be coming?
    You don't have to lie to kick it.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RelleR View Post
    Will I need any hardware other than the App from the Store that will be coming?
    Yes, you will need the actual slingbox. The appstore app is essentially a slingbox controller/viewer for your iphone.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    this is amazing news! watching my cable box in ny while in class in poland! I hope the new slingbox software for the mac is up to par with the windows version with channel guide viewer etc.

This doesn't work well in Canada since our bandwidth is limited and our 3G plan is expensive and restricted

i'm excited already, i can't wait for this new addition to the iphone family.

Default Resize. Photo.
    Internet connection. Screaming. In. Agony...

That will be really nice since I got a SlingBox in the past month. I hope it's free as the PC/Mac client is free. Can't wait until it's released!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeckel View Post
    That will be really nice since I got a SlingBox in the past month. I hope it's free as the PC/Mac client is free. Can't wait until it's released!
    I doubt it will be free. But hopefully they don't go overboard and charge 30 bucks for it.

Green Apple
    Thanks

*yawn*...about $30, assuming I still care by then. If Sling actually submits anything in March and Apple jerks them around as long as they jerked around Orb, there might be something in the store in June. Almost a year...sounds about right for Sling.

Thanks

yeah with all other mobile devices sling seems to charge about 30.00... Small one time price to pay for TV anytime anywhere though...Can't wait for this release.. Save me the time of tethering up my phone to my mac to watch sling in random spots...
    17" MacBook Pro
    G5
    iPhone 3GS 16G 3.1 Jailbroken//AT&T
    follow me on twitter-@danvicente

Orb Live has been available in the AppStore for a while now. Doesn't it pretty much duplicate the function of the Slingbox app?

Orb on the iPhone has been out for months and all you need is a TV tuner... Sling is just another solution and will be more expensive. But IF it's faster and more stable Ill get it.

As for the 3G plans, 6Gb/$30 is way more than enough to me and I live in Canada, thank god I bought it at launch.
    Last edited by M4tt Dam0n; 01-07-2009 at 12:22 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast