+ Reply
Page 14 of 67 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 24 64 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [ RELEASE ] 3G iPhone Unlocked - Eat the yellowsn0w

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by thabrews1986 again can someone please help me what am I doing wrong. I have all the correct firmware and 3g is off I installed yellowsn0w and rebooted
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thabrews1986 View Post
    again can someone please help me what am I doing wrong. I have all the correct firmware and 3g is off I installed yellowsn0w and rebooted and took my sim in and out a bunch of times and I got nothing not even for a second. Please help
    after putting the SIM back in, did you go into settings and switch Airplane Mode on....leave it on for 10 seconds and switch it off?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb_Soccer_Star View Post
    I tried it i have at&t and i lose signal after i have it for 2 seconds, and just keep losing it.
    Please Help.
    Howd you do it?
    you are a helmet wearer arent u?

THIS IS FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE "NOT" ON AT$T

are you guys really that dense?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tattoojack For This Useful Post:

DSMKilla (01-01-2009)

Green Apple
    Thanks

well i thought my apps were working...i was able to install them but none of the apps will open....it just says "The application _____ cannnot be opened"

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tattoojack View Post
    you are a helmet wearer arent u?

THIS IS FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE "NOT" ON AT

are you guys really that dense?
    Hahaha. This has already been covered. True Blue AT&T customers can benefit when they travel overseas and use a local (different) carriers sim. It also breaks the AT&T stranglehold here in the US. (For me, that's the best reason)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mes For This Useful Post:

Caleb_Soccer_Star (01-01-2009)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by poetic_folly View Post

You've waited. You've watched. You've waited more. Now... its here!

The Dev Team has released yellowsn0w, the 3G iPhone unlock. Its available NOW via Cydia, you'll need to add their source (check the release post for the URL - they'd prefer sites didn't link the repo url) then check your Changes tab - yellowsn0w should be right on top. If you don't know how, here's how to add a source in Cydia. Refresh if you don't see it. If you're reading this later, just search for yellowsn0w in Cydia (making sure of course you've added their source). As guessed (and confirmed a bit later) from their post earlier today, IT WORKS WITH THE 02.28.00 BASEBAND version - in fact, ONLY for that baseband version. Meaning yes, you will need to update in iTunes and then use PwnageTool on a freshly updated 2.2 iPhone if you DON'T have 02.28.00 right now. Running the unlock on older basebands will simply cause it to exit, and do nothing. "No harm, no foul."

All you do is go to the package in Cydia and install just like you'd install any other package. Boom - restart the iPhone, and...

Then you're unlocked. A quick note for users whose SIM cards come preinstalled with menus or apps on them, you'll

Answers to some potential questions:

My modem software says I have {less than 02.28.00} - can I still unlock?
    Yes, but you have to upgrade your baseband to 02.28.00 before you do anything. First restore completely to 2.2 in iTunes (just connect the iPhone to the computer, go to the iPhone tab in iTunes, and press Restore in the version area).You can follow this guide to jailbreak after, then install the unlock from Cydia.

Is this permanent? In other words, will I be able to upgrade my firmware when the next one comes out and keep my unlock?
    No. This is a soft[ware] unlock, not a hardware unlock, so you'll need to do as we've mostly been doing - wait to upgrade on new firmwares (all current firmwares are unlockable as of now) until the Dev Team releases a patch. Of course we'll have details for you every time Apple comes out with a firmware update.

What if I WANT to remove the unlock?
    yellowsn0w is completely removable through Cydia, the command line, and iTunes.

I'm still on [2.1 / 2.0.2 / 2.0.1 / 2.0] firmware on my iPhone 3G, but would like to upgrade... what should I do?
    Back up your iPhone. Restore in iTunes. Follow this guide to upgrade to 2.2 jailbroken, then simply install yellowsn0w from Cydia when you're finished - unlocked, jailbroken, enjoy.

I have T-Mobile, and they've recently upgraded their network to include 3G. Can I use the T-Mobile 3G data network with my unlocked iPhone 3G?
    No - T-Mobile and AT&T use different 3G frequencies, so your iPhone 3G won't pick up T-Mobiles 3G network. You CAN however still use T-Mobile EDGE and GPRS just fine with the iPhone 3G - as well as all T-Mobile's voice features, and WiFi of course.

I have AT&T. I don't plan on selling my iPhone anytime soon, and I'm staying with AT&T. Is there any benefit for me to unlock my iPhone?
    Nope. Aside from the ability to use the iPhone 3G on other networks than it comes locked to (T-mobile in the States, various carriers elsewhere), and the higher potential asking price if you sell your iPhone unlocked, there are no benefits to unlocking your iPhone.

OMG WTF BBQ!!!! This is awesome and I want to donate. Who do I send money to?
    Don't. They like uh... post cards. Scanned. And emailed.

I think you're wrong about the basebands it will work with. I have an older baseband, and I'm going to run the unlock anyway. I think it will magically work in my case.
    I'm going to have a sandwich. After we each do these things, lets reconvene and see who's happier.

Edit: T-Mobile USA Users must turn off the 3G toggle in settings.

Everyone: You MUST have your SIM card in (without the proxy chip) throughout the entire process. With your SIM card installed... Install yellowsn0w 0.9, then reboot and wait up to 2 minutes for the phone to get service. If it doesn't work then uninstall 0.9 and try version 0.91. Keep reporting

If you have a SIM PIN you will need to REMOVE this first before running yellowsn0w... it is not compatible (yet).
    Will my iPhone (2.2) works for Rogers or Fido in Canada?

iPhone? More like MyPhone imagineThiss's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eddydy View Post
    briefly

I'm with T-Mobile US.

I've tried all methods, I do see the T-Mobile bars but it disappears as soon as I try making a call.

I personally think that this Beta version is not ready yet, furthermore I think those who succeeded will most likely have connection problems, I hope not thought, I will patiently wait for the final release.

That said, I'd like to thank the Dev-Team for their generosity, no matter how much I say I appreciate their hard work, it will never do them justice.

Happy and peaceful new year to all.

Eddy

said like tru champ... i second this!!!! the second part about the dev team.. i haven't had the time to try my iphone 3g unlock ...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    Hahaha. This has already been covered. True Blue AT&T customers can benefit when they travel overseas and use a local (different) carriers sim. It also breaks the AT&T stranglehold here in the US. (For me, that's the best reason)
    i agree,
    however, if he is only gonna be here in the US on at$t,
    what is really the point????

and as a tmobile user with a useless 3G ipod,
    i could give two sh!ts less if any at$t customers are working or not.
    uninstall yellowsn0w and enjoy your jailbroken at$t iphone with no signal probs

quit muckin up the thread with complaints about it. who cares??

WE NEED TMOBILE USA AND OTHER COUNTRY RESULTS

this is the whole point of the unlock, so WE can USE our phone like for calls and such, you know, what it was meant to do.

at$t has service, we dont.

think about it instead of just repeating some tired crap about "oh u can use it overseas!"

its been said
    i read it
    i read every post in this thread
    and like most people will be until my phone is working again!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

If I use a turbo sim and I am 100% not bothered by it, what other benefit will a software unlock help me with?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

My outgoing calls Dont work either i lose all service t-mobile usa California

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I am using this iphone for t-mobile use, that still means I should restore via itunes then use qwckpwn? I just thought restoring in itunes would brick the phone since I am not a legit customer, am I being paranoid?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default SMART sim card still doesn't work
    After the upgrade to 2.2 with the right baseband and download of yell0wsnow, My SMART sim card (one of Philippines telecom) still doesn't work

I'm getting "No Service" message.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Hmm.. While trying to run Yellowsn0w from the Terminal. I keep getting the error "open: Resource busy"

AdiPhone:/usr/bin root# ./yellowsn0w
    open: Resource busy
    AdiPhone:/usr/bin root# ./yellowsn0w -r
    AdiPhone:/usr/bin root# ./yellowsn0w -s
    Only the Reset option works for me.

I cant even run the -c

Usage: yellowsn0w [options]

Options:
    -s Single-shot mode
    -c Just check for compatibility
    -r Just reset the baseband
    -q Use quicker method (only for some SIM cards)
    -a Use alternate method (only for some SIM cards)

AdiPhone:/usr/bin root# ./yellowsn0w -c
    Any idea why?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    Thank you lol, you were thanked.
    Did you unlock yours?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    yeah i noticed too that I can sync with my t mobile SIm inserted, I no longer get that SIM error when i try it...but other than that the unlock was unsuccessful. ..hopefully a fix will come soon... : )

thanks dev team for the hard work

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stevedawg85 View Post
    If I use a turbo sim and I am 100% not bothered by it, what other benefit will a software unlock help me with?
    STAY WITH THE TURBOSIM UNTIL YOU READ THIS SITE AND IT SAYS,
    "3G UNLOCK IS OFFICIALLY BUG FREE"

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Chableezee View Post
    I am using this iphone for t-mobile use, that still means I should restore via itunes then use qwckpwn? I just thought restoring in itunes would brick the phone since I am not a legit customer, am I being paranoid?
    if your phone works now,
    KEEP IT THAT WAY
    THIS IS BETA
    MEANING IT NO WORKY YET!

please
    mods i beg of you

PUT A NOTICE AT THE TOP OF THIS THREAD
    "3G UNLOCK IS BUGGY AND NOT YET WORKING, PLEASE READ ALL POSTS BEFORE DECIDING FOR URSELF"

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tattoojack View Post
    i agree,
    however, if he is only gonna be here in the US on at,
    what is really the point????

and as a tmobile user with a useless 3G ipod,
    i could give two sh!ts less if any at customers are working or not.
    uninstall yellowsn0w and enjoy your jailbroken at iphone with no signal probs

quit muckin up the thread with complaints about it. who cares??

WE NEED TMOBILE USA AND OTHER COUNTRY RESULTS

this is the whole point of the unlock, so WE can USE our phone like for calls and such, you know, what it was meant to do.

at has service, we dont.

think about it instead of just repeating some tired crap about "oh u can use it overseas!"

its been said
    i read it
    i read every post in this thread
    and like most people will be until my phone is working again!
    you need to calm down yourself....if you dont have service then join ATT...cause ours works perfect :-) ALso, I unlocked mine just becuase i could...works perfrect :-) I tried my gf tmobile sim card...lol
    Last edited by romeoz; 01-01-2009 at 02:41 PM.

Thanks

Well I just updated, let's see how well this works. I wasn't planning on buying a third TurboSIM, so hopefully this will work for the meantime better than those TurboSIM's did. But so far, seems many people are having problems.. But hey, better than nothing! I'm sure it'll improve later on, Dev-Team did mention how it still has several bugs after all.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Zehlek's Avatar
    Thanks

Everything was successful for my g/f Rogers sim now works in my Fido iPhone. The only thing is, the signal drops every 10-20 seconds which I don't mind except for the dropped calls. I tried taking out simfor 2 min and Airplane mode off 3 mn and on and still does the signal flux

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default different sim detected
    i install yellowsn0w and i used quickpwn and after i used the steps i got my t-mobile carrrier pop pops but i still can't go inside and its says differetn sim detected and connect to itunes

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DTRocker View Post
    does the unlock work for verizon and/or sprint, and there 3G r is both at different frequencies?
    WTF! The mods must be near suicide when these guys show up.

I'm on Cell One, had been using a Gevey with perfect service until this "unlock" came about. Now nothing works, even my Gevey. I now have a nice ipod with a camera and an expensive service contract attached to it.