View Poll Results: Do you think an iPhone Nano is coming to Macworld?

Voters
248. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

82 33.06%
  • no

166 66.94%
+ Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone Nano for Macworld?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
I definatly think the iPhone Nano is around the corner and at a tempting price-point like $99 Apple would be sucking up a HUGE portion of the dumbphone market. That
    iPhone? More like MyPhone AKA_Ben's Avatar
    Thanks

I definatly think the iPhone Nano is around the corner and at a tempting price-point like $99 Apple would be sucking up a HUGE portion of the dumbphone market.

That being said, iPhone Nano will probably be a limited experience with a proprietary, tweaked version of the 3G's firmware. Also, I'd expect a SureType-esque keyboard for portrait imput.

Thanks

sigh...

and then...

and finally...

My final thought: Sure maybe there could be a nano, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I mean you could consider that people watch video on their iPod Videos and the screen is considerably smaller then an iPhone/Touch. And yes you could make phone calls on, and we've already seen that it can be done as far as size goes...

But...

In my experience with smart phones (namely the HTC Wizard) with roughly the same screen size, sure the resolution is there, but it sucks having to look at it for any length of time gets very tiring and hard on the eyes after a while. Plus people have been complaining that the screen is too hard to type on already. Granted it takes some getting used to at first, but could you honestly see people trying to type on a screen that is even smaller?

As much as I hate to use this term, but a smaller iPhone would damage the iPhone "Experience".
    Last edited by boe_dye; 12-25-2008 at 02:55 PM.
    Herp a derp a derp a doooo!

Livin the iPhone Life heath_rox's Avatar
    Thanks

when it comes out all you guys are gonna want one
    "Its better to be a pirate than join the navy"Steve Jobs

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Original iphone launch date was June 29th, 2007. 3G launch date was June 9th, 2008.

January 2009 is a GREAT time to introduce a new iPhone model and bring it to market. And I'm sure 6 months down the road another new iPhone model will be introduced that will replace the current 3G model.

Just like ipods, which they update every year almost, I'm sure the same will hold true for the iPhone. It has so far....

And a "nano" iPhone screen is plenty big to use in a pinch to watch a movie or whatever. People already do it on the ipod Nano and that screen is TINY!!!

I just bought my wife a Nokia E71 and the screen is smaller than my iphone(s) but still works great.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boe_dye View Post
    sigh...

and then...

and finally...

My final thought: Sure maybe there could be a nano, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I mean you could consider that people watch video on their iPod Videos and the screen is considerably smaller then an iPhone/Touch. And yes you could make phone calls on, and we've already seen that it can be done as far as size goes...

But...

In my experience with smart phones (namely the HTC Wizard) with roughly the same screen size, sure the resolution is there, but it sucks having to look at it for any length of time gets very tiring and hard on the eyes after a while. Plus people have been complaining that the screen is too hard to type on already. Granted it takes some getting used to at first, but could you honestly see people trying to type on a screen that is even smaller?

As much as I hate to use this term, but a smaller iPhone would damage the iPhone "Experience".
    I JUST GOT RICKROLLED haha didn't see it comin there might be a iphone nano but i just went to the ESKN site and i think the skin is for the 3g
    Last edited by ihawk0789; 12-25-2008 at 08:37 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life yowiphone's Avatar
    Thanks

IT better have a multitouch screen and wifi.. Do you think they are gonna introduce it at at Mac-world?
    Iphone Love... I dreamed of a iphone before it was out..

Thanks

yeah, that last one was a bit of a smart @$$ quip there...

http://www.gadgettastic.com/wp-conte...8/iphone_2.png

according to this leaked picture from Adobe, makers of Photoshop, there is also going to be an iPhone Shuffle!

Steve Jobs has no comment, but there have been whispers at the Cupertino HQ of Apple that the new shuffle will support MMS, Landscape typing for both email and text, as well as the ever elusive copy pasta feature.

In other news, 3D Realms announced that they are going to announce an important update status regarding the ever over developed, Duke Nukem Forever.

A date has not yet been set...
    Last edited by boe_dye; 12-26-2008 at 12:08 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Banned
    Thanks

i dont beleive it..
    but i'd buy it.
    Last edited by huntor; 12-26-2008 at 12:34 AM. Reason: t button's havin troubles

Green Apple
    Thanks

I believe it now

Livin the iPhone Life yowiphone's Avatar
    Thanks

It better have all the feautres of the 3g iphone.
    Iphone Love... I dreamed of a iphone before it was out..

Banned
    Thanks

why are people complaining about another version of the iphone? especially if it's going to be cheaper and affordable to others who can't afford it? you're all just elitists who want the iphone to your greedy selves...

if you don't like it or want it, then don't buy it! duh!

go buy an 3g and stop with the useless complaints!
    Last edited by aekhamsouk; 12-26-2008 at 04:23 PM.

Thanks

i don't think its so much that people are complaining of a new iphone as much as they are complaining about the ongoing rumor that their might be...

There has been nothing concrete about it, and it's only been rumors from third party sources.

However, if we are going based upon rumors then according to what I have read that if there were to be a "iPhone Nano", then it would be without internet and more like a standard phone.

It would still have the iPod feature, and while you might be able to load apps from iTunes, you would probably be limited to what you were able to install due to the screen size, and of course functionality.

Not being a developer, i am only guessing, but are the apps that exist out there predetermined to fit on the iPhone screen? Or can you run them in any size and shape as determined by the hardware?

If they are determined by the hardware and can go from screen to screen then cool, no problem. But it they are not, and are predetermined to be optimized on an iPhone screen, then there is a problem for just about all of the apps to be written to include nano sized apps.

So that in my mind at least, would either mean that if there were in fact to be a nano either a) there would be special apps for the nano, b) all the other apps would work already c) all the other apps would have to be re-written d) there would be no apps at all.

However, "d" defeats the purpose of why so many people bought the phone in the first place. There are just so many cool things that you can do with it. And Apple is always trying to sell on flashy glitz as opposed to practicality, which is why their key selling point on f/w 2.2 was Google Street View.

So based upon that assumption, then chances are a nano phone would just be a phone, with no internet or apps.

Now that might be fine and dandy if all you wanted was a button less phone that you could get for dirt cheap, in fact there are alot of people out in the world who just want "a plain simple phone that makes phone calls".

I pissed off some older fella at the AT&T store when I jokingly said that such a phone no longer exists in the 21st century...

The point is, that there would be a market for a plain simple, no frills iPhone.

NOW, it is interesting to note that if in fact the rumors of an iPhone Nano are true, and if in fact the rumors are true that it would be without Internet or Apps, then this picture

http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/9459/photois6.jpg

Is a fake because it has google maps as well as the appstore icons, email and safari, programs that can only really exist with the internet, and I can't think of a person in their right mind who would want to pay the cost of using internet on a mobile without a data plan.

Lastly do you honestly think that using a screen that small would allow you to use the same size icons? If you were to use the same size icons, then you would have to have less on each page because they wouldn't fit. And if you had smaller icons, then they would be much more difficult to press which goes back to the cumbersome PPC style that phones have thankfully evolved from.

If they make one, cool and fine, and if not cool and fine. However, there has been no real concrete evidence either way.

I however am leaning towards the nay: Unless Jobs makes a surprise appearance at Macworld, then I seriously doubt that he is going to allow someone else to carry his baby into the spotlight.

Unless of course he asked Noah Wiley...:-)

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by heath_rox View Post
    when it comes out all you guys are gonna want one
    I can honestly say that NO, I will not...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Haha, yeah im pretty sure there will be no temptation there.

iPhone? More like MyPhone kjack05's Avatar
    Thanks

I prefer the larger screen size, but the concept is cool
    If I helped you dont be afraid to click thanks

Thanks

Isn't it amaising how you can start a rumour and a 4 page thread by a simple typo.
    The original post had a pic from http://xskn.com/default.aspx?m=Produ...d=294&cid=3681
    Which is titled 'Exo mask iPhone Nano' but is actually cases for the iPod Nano 4th Gen.

Isn't the internet wonderful?

I still like the idea of the iPhone shuffle tho....
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I would love to instantly an iPhone nano in addition to my iPhone 3G. The nano seems to be the perfect solution to put in my pocket when going out. The 3G some in occasions seems to be too big. And, additionally I believe the iPhone nano might convince those people who think the iPhone is a music playing gaming console with telephone function. I would expect the iPhone nano to be more a phone plus some more functions, than the other way around.

I would instantly buy an iPhone nano in addition to my iPhone 3G. The nano seems to be the perfect solution to put in my pocket when going out. The 3G some in occasions seems to be too big. And, additionally I believe the iPhone nano might convince those people who think the iPhone is a music playing gaming console with telephone function. I would expect the iPhone nano to be more a phone plus some more functions, than the other way around.
    Last edited by iphonestef; 12-29-2008 at 03:28 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cash7c3 View Post

Do you think there is an iPhone Nano on its way? At least one company does. After last week's "leak" of supposed cases for the iPhone Nano the case maker XSKN has taken everything even further putting up an entire section on their site devoted to case options for your iPhone Nano.

With the timing of this page going up it's only natural to speculate that there could be an iPhone Nano being announced at Macwold coming up in only two weeks. While XSKN has a history of having some solid insider info in the past with the iPhone 3g as Gizmodo points out, one has to question if there is really going to be an iPhone Nano announced at Macworld.

The iPhone Nano rumor seems to pop up about every sixth months with the most recent significant one being convincing pictures of the Nano's screen back in June. Steve Jobs isn't speaking during the Keynote at Macworld this year. Would the Jobs really allow someone else announce a new line of his beloved iPhone? The AppStore already has thousands of apps. These apps wouldn't work on an iPhone Nano unless it had the exact same resolution which is unlikely with a smaller screen. Could a iPhone Nano be a viable product without the AppStore? On the other hand it will reportedly be the last Macworld Apple attends. Maybe they want to go out with a bang.

iPhone Nano? I like polls take ours above
    ya i think it would be preety cool but not many people would buy it because less battery and everything else.

Thanks

Def not. i can see alternate colors though!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I say if they cut the price make it a little less wide and make it come in no less than 8 gb that it would be ok. I would get that I think. Sell it for 129 and double the storage on the 3g and up the camera to at least 3.2 mega pixals. That would be a all around good deal. And add the click through technology on the iphone and iPods ( like the black berry storm)
    -m
    Written on my iPod touch