+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Walmart & iPhone Date Set for the 28th

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Alright well this nice picture shown above that Engadget managed to snag should clear up any remaining rumors about a $99 iPhone . It also shows a nice date of
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,273 Times in 652 Posts

Default Walmart & iPhone Date Set for the 28th

Alright well this nice picture shown above that Engadget managed to snag should clear up any remaining rumors about a $99 iPhone. It also shows a nice date of launch -- the 28th of December just 10 days away.

If you have been thinking about picking up an iPhone 3g and locking yourself into a two year commitment with AT&T you'd be best of running by a Walmart on the 28th to save $2! Yes two dollars! The 16 gb version will be going for $297 and the 8 gb version will be going for $197 just like we already expected.

While the sweet $2 discount isn't all that great if you are a Walmart employee this is your chance for some iPhone savings. 488 Walmart stores are participating in a "pilot" exercise to test iPhones out on employees. Five lucky employees at each store will have the privilege of being able to buy the iPhone at the normal Walmart price along with the two year agreement but get a little lucky with their 15% Walmart employee discount.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cody Overcash For This Useful Post:

tattoojack (01-03-2009)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Yea ok I see no point in going to Walmart to purchase a phone for the same price it would be at the ATT store.

I can see how it helps Apple/ATT; it markets to a whole new market, but bleh.
    "Thanks" button. Learn it. Use it. Love it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Not to sound mean or anything but what walmart employee can afford to purchase an iphone along with the plan and 2 year commitment?

Thanks

i work at taco bell and ive been wit att/cingular for 5 years...
    and ive had the iphone since its first day launch...
    so im sure wal-mart can afford it...its really not all that expensive if you know how to use your money...

Thanks

It is my understanding that it will be available for purchase outright - with no contract from Wal-Mart

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

By paying $70+taxes/fees per a month is not knowing how to use your money...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneMadness View Post
    Yea ok I see no point in going to Walmart to purchase a phone for the same price it would be at the ATT store.

I can see how it helps Apple/ATT; it markets to a whole new market, but bleh.
    The APPLE store would be the absolute best option wouldn't it.

Do you get the Apple Care Warranty from buying it at Wal-Mart or ATT?

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

So they MUST sell all 5 phones in the pilot... what if there aren't 5 emplyess that want to buy them? If they want to do a raffle why not give the phones to the employees for free? Testing the system on the workers AND making them pay for it is BS. They can still apply their monthly discount even if they bought the phone from an Apple store or ATT so they have no real incentive to buy from Wal-Mart...

Quote Originally Posted by BenzoHartt View Post
    The APPLE store would be the absolute best option wouldn't it.

Do you get the Apple Care Warranty from buying it at Wal-Mart or ATT?
    ATT and Best Buy offer the Applecare, threfore it is safe to assume Wal-Mart will too...
    Last edited by sziklassy; 12-18-2008 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks
    Thanked 1,086 Times in 224 Posts

if you're driving all the way to wal-mart for a 2 dollar iPhone deal then maybe you should be getting a iPhone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

So is Walmart employees doing the credit checks for the new service or do you purchase it with a credit card and activate when you get home?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bluprint's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hotshot21354 View Post
    So is Walmart employees doing the credit checks for the new service or do you purchase it with a credit card and activate when you get home?
    The process will always stay the same. Like any retail store your going to sign a two year contract regardless of your eligibility for the discounted prices furthermore in order to receive a $200 discount, it WILL be based on credit approval and for existing customers this also means that your current contract has to be maintained for the 1st 18 months in order to upgrade from one phone to another unless your paying full the prices for the iphone 3g upgrade. Lastly, credit cards is only required for new customers that need to pay a deposit (per phone) before buying with ATT.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky2324 View Post
    Not to sound mean or anything but what walmart employee can afford to purchase an iphone along with the plan and 2 year commitment?
    some of these executives, whom implimented this deal, probably dont even step into these walmart stores ever in their life time and are unaware that the gap is widen each day

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky2324 View Post
    I know several managers that could EASILY afford this.

Thanks

Ok, i'm from England and we have a store called ASDA/WAL-MART, will it be in store in England or not? If anyboby knows it would be a great help. Thanks

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

disgusting...apple selling out to wal-mart. it's about selling the most iphones now, not about the cool factor. almost makes me want to sell my iphone and switch to a bb.

Green Apple
    Thanks

if you are selling your iphone because they are sold in walmart then you are lame.

grow up.

noone thinks you are elite.

stop acting like it.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stewart12 View Post
    disgusting...apple selling out to wal-mart. it's about selling the most iphones now, not about the cool factor. almost makes me want to sell my iphone and switch to a bb.
    If you have an iPhone for the "cool factor" then please sell it. This is one of the dumbest statements I've seen on this forum.

Of course it's about selling iPhones. Apple is a publicly held company that has to show profits and make shareholders happy. Apple could care less if you're cool or not.

Which, just in case you didn't know, you're not.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mumra06 View Post
    It is my understanding that it will be available for purchase outright - with no contract from Wal-Mart
    Read the paper in the photo. It clearly says they will have to sign a 2-year contract. I guarantee ATT would not sell an iphone for two or three hundred dollars without a contract since they are subsidizing the cost.
    Last edited by MrNoSox; 12-18-2008 at 12:10 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrNoSox View Post
    Read the paper in the photo. It clearly says they will have to sign a 2-year contract. I guarantee ATT would not sell an iphone for two or three hundred dollars without a contract since they are subsidizing the cost.
    To add to this, if the phone is ever sold without contract, they will sell for $599 (8GB) and $699 (16GB). It was mentioned in AT&T's press release of the 3G which you can read here

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

Thanks

O.K. so the 488 pilot stores sell 5 a piece to employees. That is 2,440 more customers on at&t with a 15% discount so take out the 15% and you basically got the equivalent of 2,074 people paying full price on 2yr contracts. You also have 2,440 people paying a minimum of $197 for the iPhone and for those that are ready that number is........$480,680!!!! The half a million dollar deal Wal-Mart made as part of their contract??? Hmmmmm.....Let's make the employees pay, you know the pilots will sell. Apple, Wal-Mart and at&t all win and all you saved was a lousy $2.

At least I know where to apply for a job when the burdens of my at&t bill are getting to me.
    I would have my URL here so you could hear our music but apparently that's sig spam. WTF?