Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3G unlock - New years eve!

Quote Originally Posted by ksiphone View Post
    i'm with t-mobile. are there any advantages to having a 3g? i thought the radio frequencies the two companies use are different. If this is the case, one would only be able to get edge download speeds, right?

Are there any other advantages to having a 3g model? Better, faster hardware like processor?
    The differences between the 2G and 3G: GPS, louder speaker, flush headphone slot, and of course 3G speeds.

You can't use T-Mobile's 3G so if you want one make sure its for the other stuff since you'll be stuck in Edge.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

Quote Originally Posted by empurium View Post
    Is firmware 2.2 directly related to baseband '2.11.07'? In other words, when looking to buy an iPhone 3G, can I simply make sure they never upgraded to firmware 2.2?
    Anybody have any info on this? Judging by an article I saw on TUAW it seems that the major baseband upgrade did come along with firmware 2.2, but I'm curious and there are probably a lot of other potential 3G iPhone buyers wondering this as well so they can buy safely.

In short: As long as the iPhone 3G is firmware is 2.1 or less it will be unlockable? Thanks in advance for any info!

if you are on 2.1 right now you are safe. if you are on the normal (non modified) 2.2 you have the updated baseband which is NOT currently reported to be supported with this new unlock release. i have heard some stories of people using ziphone to reflash the baseband back down again then being able to install a CUSTOM 2.2 firmware WITHOUT the baseband update. if anyone with a 3g can confirm this it will be much appreciated
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Thanks

wait... so what other network can you use the iphone with that has 3g in the US? Am i missing something?
    Go Ahead. Hit the Thank button... it wont bite.

Tap Tap Revenge is Gay... That is fact.

Giggidy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by empurium View Post
    Anybody have any info on this? Judging by an article I saw on TUAW it seems that the major baseband upgrade did come along with firmware 2.2, but I'm curious and there are probably a lot of other potential 3G iPhone buyers wondering this as well so they can buy safely.

In short: As long as the iPhone 3G is firmware is 2.1 or less it will be unlockable? Thanks in advance for any info!
    or has been pwned at 2.2 using the dev teams pwnage tool, this stops the baseband from being updated also.

at the moment ive got all the goodness of 2.2 with a 2.0 baseband

just to let you guys know, i bought an iphone on payg from the apple store the other day and it came with 2.1 firmware, but, it is only a matter of time before every brand new iphone is 2.2 otb.

im gonna hold onto mine and sell it when people are looking for unlocked ones on ebay and they are a bit rarer, then use the money to buy a 32gb one after xmas

Quote Originally Posted by cricketlang View Post
    if you are on 2.1 right now you are safe. if you are on the normal (non modified) 2.2 you have the updated baseband which is NOT currently reported to be supported with this new unlock release. i have heard some stories of people using ziphone to reflash the baseband back down again then being able to install a CUSTOM 2.2 firmware WITHOUT the baseband update. if anyone with a 3g can confirm this it will be much appreciated
    whoah whoah whoah, hold up. ziphone works with 2.x firmware now? since when? have i missed a massive piece of iphone news here?

SORRY to triplepost but ziphone worked upto 1.1.4, then zibri went on a rampage and eventually did not come through with anything for 2.x, therefore, there is no way for a 3g iphone to have its baseband flashed back to a 1.1.4 2g baseband, as 3g is 2.x only for now.

i think youve got confused somewhere here?

ziphone also enables imei changing i believe (although ive never used the programme) so this would be massive for me....
    Last edited by reeko; 12-16-2008 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

Thanks

*cries in happiness*

Is there any way i can walk into a Apple store in CA and purchase a Iphone 3G without a ATT contract?
    Iphone Love... I dreamed of a iphone before it was out..

yahooooooooooooooooooo
    great news

Thanks god.

^^^^^but you traded yours!!!
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.

OMG Finally, i cant wait for the unlock to come out. its going to be my new years resolution, to finally unlock my 3g without a turbosim.

I have a question
    when its finally software unlock can i sync it with itunes and put music onto my iphone 3g without having it lock
    -------------------
    3.1.2 iPhone 3G Unlocked + Jailbroken

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

woooooooooooooooooooooooooooot!

This is great, but work on the 2G iPod jailbreak! Knowing the things you do it shouldn't be hard lol
    iPod Touch 2G jailbroken (untethered)
    Macbook Pro 3GB ram 2.5 GHz Colorwared Black with Red Apple Logo
    iMac 2GB ram 2.6 GHz
    HP Touch Smart 2GB ram

Default Thats Right Is Coming Out Finaly
    Now that you guys have got used to the sunburn and blindness caused by the glare of our new blog template, we can get back to normal business. We’ll give you some updates and also tell you our schedule for the festive season.

Over the Christmas break some of our members will be talking at the Chaos Computer Club’s 25C3 Congress. This talk will be a juicy technical talk relating to iPhone platform and our previous exploits. You can see more information about the talk “Hacking the iPhone”. There is even a super-cool TeamPwnapple T-Shirt ;-)

3G Unlock

We have been working hard on a few other things. The main one being the 3G unlock codenamed “yellowsn0w”. This is now completed and is currently being packaged into a user-friendly application with the simplicity that you see in QuickPwn or BootNeuter.

The target release date for the unlock is New Year’s Eve 2008.
    This unlock method is available to iPhone 3Gs that have 2.11.07 baseband or earlier, we did warn you.
    You can tell what version baseband you have by going to Settings->General->About->Modem Firmware
    The unlock requires a jailbroken 3G iPhone. It’ll be installable via Cydia and so it doesn’t matter if you have a Mac or PC.
    Please refrain from updating your baseband, regardless of what version you’re at. We’ll have complete directions on New Year’s Eve.
    We’ll stream a live demo of the unlock before Christmas (see the update at the end of this post)
    DFU Issues in OS X 10.5.6

Lots of users have been experiencing problems with the use of DFU mode after applying yesterday’s 10.5.6 system update.

We believe this behavior is due to a kernel bug not a specific countermeasure by Apple. Possible fixes are (try at your own risk!) -

1. Replace the following plugin kexts from within IOUSBFamily.kext with the ones from 10.5.5 and then rebuild kextcache (if you don’t understand this, then you shouldn’t attempt it!)

/System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBHub.kext

/System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOUSBCompositeDriver.kext

2. Use a USB hub in-between the DFU device and the Mac and insert/reinsert the iPhone’s USB cable.

3. Use a PwnageTool created .ipsw on Windows! Oh the irony!

iPod touch 2G

Currently we are not investigating the iPod touch 2G. Other people outside the Dev-Team are looking into this, but we are not at the moment. Please don’t hassle us with comments and requests about this, they’ll just be deleted and ignored. If we do look at this device it will be sometime in the New Year and we’ll inform you guys if and when we commence this work.

We would like to reiterate that this is not because -

We are mean
    We are turning our back on the iPod touch community
    We have been paid off by JFK, Princess Diana or Elvis
    This is because -

It’s not an iPhone
    We have been busy with the 3G unlock.
    We have been busy with the CCC talk.
    Only one of us has a iPod touch 2G (but we’ll see what Santa brings)
    Our employers don’t get as excited as us about hacking expensive pretty devices
    Unfortunately our partners, parents and pets need occasional attention too.
    Update: Live Demo

Sometime before Christmas, MuscleNerd will show a live demo of the unlock (and some other random nucleus and pwnage stuff). It’ll be streamed live via the awesome Qik application, and announced via his Twitter account just as the broadcast begins.

Im shipping out to Air Force Basic Training on New Years Eve.... I HATE YOU DEV TEAM!!! COULDN'T RELEASE IT ONE DAY EARLIER!!!!!

it’ll be installable via cydia and so it doesn’t matter if you have a mac or pc
    totally awesome
    -------------------
    3.1.2 iPhone 3G Unlocked + Jailbroken

Quote Originally Posted by RonnyT24 View Post
    wait... so what other network can you use the iphone with that has 3g in the US? Am i missing something?
    No other. T-Mobile and AT&T are the only GSM Network providers (sprint and the rest run on CDMA or whatever it's called). And out of the two that do GSM (what the iPhone is) only AT&T uses the range that the iPhone 3G modem picks up. T-Mobile uses a different one making it impossible for the phone to use it even when unlocked.

So if you want 3G speeds on your iPhone in the US, you have just one option.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

Thanks

I don't need this, but I'm really happy for all the people who have been waiting all this time and will now get it! Psyched about 2009!
    http://modmyi.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=303541&dateline=12514  03473

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cricketlang View Post
    I can haz free munny?
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    No other. T-Mobile and AT&T are the only GSM Network providers (sprint and the rest run on CDMA or whatever it's called). And out of the two that do GSM (what the iPhone is) only AT&T uses the range that the iPhone 3G modem picks up. T-Mobile uses a different one making it impossible for the phone to use it even when unlocked.

So if you want 3G speeds on your iPhone in the US, you have just one option.
    ALrighty well thanks for clearin that up. I thought mabe i had booked myself a ticket on the failboat by buying 2gs lol. But yeah congrats euros. One more thing you bastards get... I hate you. Hah nah congrats.
    Go Ahead. Hit the Thank button... it wont bite.

Tap Tap Revenge is Gay... That is fact.

Giggidy.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast