View Poll Results: Do you think the iPhone/iPod Touch compare to the Nintendo DS or the PSP for gaming?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

39 37.86%
  • No

64 62.14%
+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone and iPod Touch Revolutionary Gaming Devices?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
A few days ago the folks at Advertising Age noticed a new iPhone add on yahoo (the video above or you can see it in person here if it is
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,269 Times in 652 Posts

Default iPhone and iPod Touch Revolutionary Gaming Devices?

A few days ago the folks at Advertising Age noticed a new iPhone add on yahoo (the video above or you can see it in person here if it is still up) that showcases the iPod Touch as a gaming device. While the ad is interesting in itself as it takes the top half of Yahoo's page and makes it dance around with the advertisement a more interesting question can be brought up. Are the iPhone and iPod Touch really revolutionary gaming devices?

If you are Apple the answer is a definitive yes. In addition to the expensive gaming advertising mentioned above Engadget reported today some quotes made by Director of Technology Evangelism at Apple John Geleynse during an Apple event held earlier today in San Jose. On the topic of the iPhone and iPod touch as possible competition to the Nintendo DS Geleynse called the iPhone a "gaming console" and went further saying "it's not a phone, it's a console experience."

Sure you can play games on the iPhone and some of them are fairly neat but is the iPhone really a gaming console experience? I think not. I get it you move the iPhone around and the accelerometer allows you to control functions in a game. Its pretty neat for a bit but when it comes to more complicated games some real buttons would be nice. Like the Wii. Accelerometer with buttons makes sense. When controls in games require buttons the Iphone and iPod Touch rely on the touch sensitive screen which provides no tactile feedback to confirm that you hit the button which isn't very pleasing.

Are the iPhone and iPod touch revolutionary gaming devices? I say no not really. What do you think? Take our poll and/or post below.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cody Overcash For This Useful Post:

LEVMAN (12-13-2008)

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I am gonna give this a flat out no... Some games are fun... revolutionary? Not at all....
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Especially when the icontrolpad add-on to the iphone comes out, the iphone is in a sense a revolutionary gaming device not only because of its cool native games. I mean, where can you ever find a phone that is also a handheld playstation, GBA, gameboy, NES, SNES, and sega genesis system?!?!

It's still difficult to fathom how far we've gotten technological with this phone when just a few years ago, it was a big deal to have a color-screen cell phone with bejeweled or something.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JacquesChirac View Post
    Especially when the icontrolpad add-on to the iphone comes out, the iphone is in a sense a revolutionary gaming device not only because of its cool native games. I mean, where can you ever find a phone that is also a handheld playstation, GBA, gameboy, NES, SNES, and sega genesis system?!?!

It's still difficult to fathom how far we've gotten technological with this phone when just a few years ago, it was a big deal to have a color-screen cell phone with bejeweled or something.
    Those games are not what's being advertised much like a PC playing a bunch of roms wouldn't be a very good advertisement :P
    And there was the nGage, the problem with it was, well, it was an nGage
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

ngage. lol. I had that.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,269 Times in 652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JacquesChirac View Post

well yeah icontrolpad could turn the iphone into a pretty sweet little gaming platform

BUT

Apple is not endorsing and probably doesn't like iControlpad so when Apple compares the iPhone to the DS etc they are refering to the basic iPhone with nothing attached

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

No buttons = no game device. people like to beat their buttons when gaming.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

Thanks

The music in the advertisment is:

'Around the Bend' - The Asteroid Galaxy Tour.

If anyone was interested :b

Thanks

If the iPhone had tactile feedback (which why it doesn't is a mystery, and why nobody really complains about it also baffles me) then I'd give it a yes. But as for right now, the way it is...No

Thanks

sorry.. hardly a revolution. some games are fun and easy to control yes. but way too many suck..

Thanks

I had a good laugh at Apple when they made this claim, and I'll have a good laugh at any fool who agrees with them...People didn't buy it for the games; it's a phone that happens to have the ability to play games.
    Damn, and they added the word revolutionary on the front.....sorry but if you self-proclaim that your mobile phone is a revolutionary gaming device, that competes with... actual gaming devices, you're either stupid, cocky or both.
    [sarcasm]Oh, Apple, What a wonderful gaming experience you have bestowed upon me, you've really blown me away. [/sarcasm]

If the iPhone was a gaming device, it would be an outdated, unreliable one. Hardly revolutionary. end of.
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

LOL, I too had an N-Gage. The N-Gage was actually capable of producing similar if not better games (Tony Hawks Pro Skater got me through highschool)...and guess what, it had a nice control scheme, but also had many functions that the iPhone has (mod-ability, music player, blue tooth, etc.). Dont get me wrong, the iphone is way better and you dont look like a fool talking on an iPhone. But in terms of a gaming device, the N-Gage was much better suited and maintained a decent processing power (5 years ago). LOL, the iPhone a revolutionary gaming device? I think no. Give me a portable xbox 360 that makes calls while giving me BJ's and pudding and we'll talk about revolutionary.
    Viruses
    Intruders
    Spyware
    Trojans and
    Adware

Windows Vista

My iPhone is a Part of Me E-Dragon's Avatar
    Thanks

It's good at what it's good for.... Playing a quick game while waiting for something or someone. Not an all out gaming platform ...

Thanks

A "revolutionary gaming device"? No. More like a revolutionary device that supports some form of gaming.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I agree with the fact the we need feedback to know that we have pushed a button. the ipod touch might be revolutonary because of the graphics conversion it is capable of and because it would serve as a model in the future for other mobile consoles..However, the accelerometer or touchscreen, being the only way to move around, I dont find it convenient to make a mobile device to be called a Gaming device, at least not for adults. To play kids games like tetris, Critter Crunch and those sort of games, then for that it could be called a gaming device

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    Those games are not what's being advertised much like a PC playing a bunch of roms wouldn't be a very good advertisement :P
    And there was the nGage, the problem with it was, well, it was an nGage

truuu

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

No buttons= Not much fun!

You need buttons for to play a game. Like people have said the iPhone is a phone that just happens to have really good graphics on it, it should be compared to other mobiles and not handheld consoles.

I had Ngage aswell! I had a DS but sold it to get a PSP.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dale1v View Post
    I had a good laugh at Apple when they made this claim, and I'll have a good laugh at any fool who agrees with them...People didn't buy it for the games; it's a phone that happens to have the ability to play games.
    Damn, and they added the word revolutionary on the front.....sorry but if you self-proclaim that your mobile phone is a revolutionary gaming device, that competes with... actual gaming devices, you're either stupid, cocky or both.
    [sarcasm]Oh, Apple, What a wonderful gaming experience you have bestowed upon me, you've really blown me away. [/sarcasm]

If the iPhone was a gaming device, it would be an outdated, unreliable one. Hardly revolutionary. end of.
    it's not a phone with gaming capabilities. its a computer with a phone and gaming capabilities. Also i think the iphone is = with the ds but way worse then the psp. they revolutionary thing only applies if you look at it as a phone (which it is not) because i have never seen a phone with true 3d or such great (relatively for a phone) graphics

-alek

Green Apple
    Thanks

Ok, so you say that you shouldn't compare the iPhone to a phone, and yet in the same sentence you do that exact same thing??? You also say the "revolutionary thing only applies if you look at it as a phone (which it is not)". So is it revolutionary or not???

The iPhone is a smartphone with gaming capabilities. The games that can be considered "revolutionary" are racing games and games that use the accelerometer. All other games need buttons, and therefore are definetely not revolutionary.
    Last edited by noggin123450; 12-13-2008 at 05:36 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone b3nny's Avatar
    Thanks

we love katamari ftw

finally a direct port of a hit ps2/psp title. and its not perfect. but it is pretty amazing.