+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: In Home Activation Returns

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
I would guess this has something to do with the fact they don"t want Wal-Mart employees trying to activate your phone..
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I would guess this has something to do with the fact they don"t want Wal-Mart employees trying to activate your phone..

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

whats the reason you guys want to activate it at home instead of in the store ? Besides letting people now buy them jailbreak them and sell them on ebay, whats the big reason i dont see? Tmobile using ?

Green Apple
    Thanks

oh man... I just bought the 3G 16GB white for 380$

you mean I could've bought one fore $299? lol
    -iP3G RebelSIM -Tmo
    -iFone 2nd Gen - 2.0 - Tmo
    -iMac 24" running WinXP Pro
    -Black Berry Pearl
    -HTC Tilt unlocked WM6.1

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

It still sounds like Apple is screwing everyone over...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Lol why would you not want to activate it with ATT? Even if the unlock comes out through the dev-team, you cant' even use the 3G net work on T-mobile. Unless you really wanted a 3G IPhone to use on EDGE. BLeh

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jackNjill View Post
    OK, $400 total. I can handle that. I could even get ATT service, just not the iPhone plan.
    Except for when they see you are using an iPhone (and they WILL see) they will tell you to transfer to an iPhone contract or they will do it for you. If you are on pay as you go they have every right to ban your IMEI.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i wonder if you have to give your social security number? if not, it won't affect your credit.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by D to the M View Post
    I am sure that the ATT rep meant to say SIM card and not battery. But then again .... maybe not.
    Or they were reading crap off a computer screen like most workers do over the phone and that was just the "generic insert battery" statement that comes with most phones and ATT didn;t edit it out yet.

Quote Originally Posted by stewart12 View Post
    i wonder if you have to give your social security number? if not, it won't affect your credit.
    If they run a credit card, yes it will...
    Last edited by sziklassy; 12-12-2008 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks

I think they will run a credit card..... just wish they would make up their mind.... first they want control... then they see the times are tough.. so then they change their minds to let people activate again in their homes to keep up there in the competition... they are doing everything they can think of to stay in this phone game....

I bought the first gen and the 3G and both ways were a piece of cake for me.... the in store was a fun experience with the bunch of guys that were working that day... I had a blast with them!

"Always remember your special and unique!"

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cash7c3 View Post
    then you would have a locked to att iphone i'd guess and you would have to pay att $200 for canceling your contract which you signed so they would ship you the phone
    You'd still be paying the monthly phone charge whether you activate or not. They'd still have your credit card, remember.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thetoothfairy View Post
    I think they will run a credit card..... just wish they would make up their mind.... first they want control... then they see the times are tough.. so then they change their minds to let people activate again in their homes to keep up there in the competition... they are doing everything they can think of to stay in this phone game....

I bought the first gen and the 3G and both ways were a piece of cake for me.... the in store was a fun experience with the bunch of guys that were working that day... I had a blast with them!
    I am fairly sure you are still signing a contract at the store... the only thing this gets around is actually OPENING the phone... the SIM data and such are all on the back of the box on the bar code which is what activates the ATT account... all you have to do is plug into iTunes and it will activate the phone for you. In other words, this does NOTHING for the average consumer. The only person this is good for is the guy that is anal retentive about their phone being touched by someone else's hands...

Thanks

i think they are doing this now that xmass is around the corner
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

Thanks

In other words, this is not news. They made the illusion that it is news, when it actually, is not. The only difference is that the few idiots that don't care about their credit can get one without seeing a face; no guilt.
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream! Springboard screwy after reboot? Here is the fix

Thanks
    i jus called a ATT store n they said that it has to be activated in the store. i have a family plan with my girlfriend n the account is in her name, she still has the first iphone n i wanted to surprise with the new one. so should i be able to walk in a store too n buy the phone r can i only order it online???
    Hello

iPhone? More like MyPhone mastuul's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dLeFTW View Post
    Lol why would you not want to activate it with ATT? Even if the unlock comes out through the dev-team, you cant' even use the 3G net work on T-mobile. Unless you really wanted a 3G IPhone to use on EDGE. BLeh
    You can use T-Mobile's 3G network with the iPhone 3G by changing your proxy settings. Without the software unlock, you do need to use a turbosim or other sim adapter though.

iPhone? More like MyPhone hoits2000's Avatar
    Thanks

I bought mine on the saturday after release and I got a sealed iphone from the att store, and just activated it at home, so how is this news?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Just bought mine online. 16gb for $299, free next day delivery. It does ask you for your ss# and dob, but I just entered random numbers and it let me through. I'll cancel my cc after my iPhone arrived and hopefully that will be the end of that. What do you guys think?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyhuynh View Post
    Just bought mine online. 16gb for $299, free next day delivery. It does ask you for your ss# and dob, but I just entered random numbers and it let me through. I'll cancel my cc after my iPhone arrived and hopefully that will be the end of that. What do you guys think?

Let me know if it works out... you may be on to something.lol Track the package and see if its enroute.

Livin the iPhone Life aziatiklover's Avatar
    Thanks

Chat InformationThank you for your patience! An AT&T sales representative will be with you shortly.

Chat InformationYou are now chatting with Frank, an AT&T sales representative.

Frank: Welcome to AT&T online Sales support. How may I assist you with placing your order today?

hoang: hi

hoang: i have a quick question

Frank: Hello.

Frank: I'd be happy to assist you with this.

hoang: i was just wondering if i can buy the 3g iphone on your wbesite and get it ship to my friend's house?

hoang: its a xmas gift for her

Frank: Unfortunately, the shipping address will need to be the same as the billing.

Frank: I apologize for the inconvenience.

hoang: I see

hoang: but i can still give it to her and she will activated at her house right?

Frank: Yes. You may give it to her and she can activate it.

hoang: So it's like the old way of the 2g iphone am I right?

hoang: Because I don't want to sign up for a 2 years contract unde rmy name it's just a give for her so she will be he ATT customer

hoang: *gift

Frank: No. When you purchase the 3G iPhone you must also pick a rate plan and agree to a 2-year agreement. We are offering the new iPhone for a reduced rate. To purchase at the retail price you will need to visit your local store.

hoang: What about the online purchasing 3g then?

Frank: You must choose a plan and agree to the 2-year agreement.

hoang: Ok

hoang: So if I do it i still have to go to the store and sign the contract?

hoang: how does that work?

Frank: If you go into the store you should be able to purchase the phone at retail price which is $399 for 8GB (black) or $499 for 16GB (black or white).

hoang: Yea I know what about the ordering the phone online which is advertising on your wbesite?

hoang: How does that work? How do I sign the contract and get it activate for her

Frank: When purchasing the phone and completing the checkout you are agreeing to the 2-year agreement. Once you receive it you can give it to her and allow her to activate it or you can activate it when you receive it.

hoang: what if she doesn't activate it?

hoang: do I still have to pay the monthly bill?

Frank: The phone will be unable to be used.

Frank: If it is never activated there will be no service to be billed.

hoang: so i wont get any bills?

hoang: what about the 2 years agreement that I made online then?

Frank: Let me double check. Just one moment.

hoang: ok

Frank: You will still be billed the monthly fee as you did agree to a 2-year agreement.

hoang: thanx for your help
     Think Different

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Since the cc I used to order the iPhone was cancelled and the ss# is fake, can they still report me to the credit bureau if I don't activate my phone and not pay their monthly bill?