Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 47

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Cheap Apps Stifling Innovation?

  1. #21
    Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Iowa (ISU for Vet School!)
    Posts
    3,920
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked 310 Times in 264 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by 461am View Post
    ^but beejive is an established brand. people already knew to expect excellence. Would you be willing to bust out 16 bucks on an untested product?
    I am betting many people never heard of beejive before it came to the appstore, I know I didn't. Even so, do what they did. They got "established" somehow
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

    A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

  2. #22
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The Internet
    Posts
    617
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked 55 Times in 51 Posts

    LOLOLOLOL

    This guys logic is not concurrent with reality. Lets analyze shall we:

    The reason products and technology get better is because of competition (i.e. sega genesis vs. super nintendo, microsoft vs. apple, etc.). Without competition, there is no reason for a product to get better because it can and would maintain a stagnant status quo (i.e. East German cars before the Berlin Wall fell). This is also one of the reason why monopolies are illegal, because they hinder the natural series of progression that competition offers.

    Now, this guy is saying that the reason why he isnt able to develop better apps is because his competition sells apps for cheaper, thus he isnt making money...That makes no sense in terms of progression towards better applications. If he made more money, sure he could spend more time developing a stable app, but it wouldnt increase the quailty of his ideas.

    Also, selling things for cheaper than the competition is just how business works (When I was a kid, I used to go around and ask my neighbors how much their lawn was getting mowed for. If it was 20 bucks, then I'd do it for 15).

    Rant Over
    Viruses
    Intruders
    Spyware
    Trojans and
    Adware

    Windows Vista

  3. #23
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    right in the middle of the US
    Posts
    140
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts

    the lite versions of apps are the way to go in my opinion. limited features for free. full functionality with a fee. i also think this person is missing the idea of upgrades. not updates to fix bugs, but upgrades to new feature sets. the gaming industry is a prime example. how many people bought halo3? there are a hundred first person shooter style games but halo created a following with a quality product (a lot of hype) and subsequent worth while sequels.

    start cheap, build a client base...

  4. #24
    i think that if the app that will change the iphone forever is developed then people will buy it
    but on the other hand you should use marketing stratagies including:

    -start at a low price until you get noticed and gradually raise the price

    -create a lite version so people can get a little taste but not have to pay

    -make video demo on youtube and put a link in the description

    -include many screenshots

    depending on the app some of these might not be good ideas but use your imagination lol

  5. #25
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    right in the middle of the US
    Posts
    140
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts

    this same person probably wants cheap mp3s. oh the irony.

  6. #26
    Default I'm not buying ****
    I'm not buying **** till they come up with a copy/paste and MMS platform. Screw Apple I love the phone I've got two hell I've got three mac books including the new macbook. But im not buying anything else till they start taking care of their current customers and stop putting all their eggs into getting new customers.
    Trust me if people stopped buying their **** for a while they would start getting the phone up to date. So the next time you think about spending .99 a few hounded times think how nice it would be to send a damn picture

  7. #27
    Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Iowa (ISU for Vet School!)
    Posts
    3,920
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked 310 Times in 264 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Rota View Post
    Beejive is very well established in making instant messaging apps for phones. The most popular one before the iPhone version came out was the one they make for Blackberries.
    I don't doubt that... I was simply saying that I doubt most of their customers picked up the app simply BECAUSE it was beejive (but rather because a handful tested it out and gave it wonderful ratings)... all you did here was repeat what someone else said!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

    A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by soulthoughts View Post
    I'm all for trial apps. I think it would go a long way in helping people decide if they want to pay for a full version. I think it would also help get someone's brand out too. If someone gives an app a trial run and decides it's not the right app for them, they may decide that the app is well written and there's a chance they would look at other apps from the same developer.

    Cracking apps is always going to be around, trial or not. I think the cracking community is relatively small compared to the average end user community so it's a known evil.
    this is a main reason why people crack apps. my *friend* downloads a lot of cracked apps, and eventually deletes 99% of them within 10 min. alot of apps just plain suck and my friend isnt willing to pay the money to try it out. the only apps my friend uses daily are the dictionary apps and beejive (which he eventually payed for). everything else is pretty much junk.

    then you got these devs putting 'lite' version on the apps store. such a joke. thanks for letting me try out half of your app. that half of the app i tried isnt worth the price. try again please
    Last edited by dualcorex; 12-11-2008 at 12:27 AM.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by AppleChic View Post


    Although Apple has seen 10,000 applications and 300 million downloads in less than four months in its App Store, some are complaining that the lower priced apps are stifling innovation and inhibiting developers.

    Craig Hockenberry, a seasoned developer who created the Frenzic and Twitterrific apps describes this problem well in his open letter to Steve Jobs.

    The main problem is the enormous amount of 99-cent apps or less (see graph), what Hockenberry calls “ringtone apps,” where developers reduce their prices as low as possible so they’ll get favorable placement in iTunes. Hockenberry describes this, “We have a lot of great ideas for iPhone applications. Unfortunately, we’re not working on the cooler (and more complex) ideas. Instead, we’re working on 99 titles that have a limited lifespan and broad appeal. Market conditions make ringtone apps most appealing.”

    Hockenberry explains that iPhone users complain about the cost of some apps without understanding what that app is really worth and that they should be willing to pay more for higher quality apps. Furthermore, Hockeberry says that Apple’s policies facilitate this.

    Hockenberry says;

    “Our products are a joy to use: as you well know, customers are willing to pay a premium for a quality products. This quality comes at a cost—which we’re willing to incur. The issue is then getting people to see that our $2.99 product really is worth three times the price of a 99 piece of crapware.”

    Hockenberry does not propose a solution to this problem but rather just writes to Jobs, ”You and your team are perfectly capable of dealing with it on your own terms.” However, he further warns that this price point problem could prevent development of an app that could do for the iPhone what the spreadsheet did for the Apple II or similarly what desktop publishing did for the Mac.

    What do you all think? Are you willing to pay more for better apps? Or are the 99-cent apps worth their price?

    Source: Trouble in the (99-cent) App Store - Apple 2.0

    A big thanks to “boe_dye” for letting me know about this story!

    Sounds like someone is just being greedy.

    Quote Originally Posted by dualcorex View Post
    this is a main reason why people crack apps. my *friend* downloads a lot of cracked apps, and eventually deletes 99% of them within 10 min. alot of apps just plain suck and my friend isnt willing to pay the money to try it out. the only apps my friend uses daily are the dictionary apps and beejive (which he eventually payed for). everything else is pretty much junk.

    then you got these devs putting 'lite' version on the apps store. such a joke. thanks for letting me try out half of your app. that half of the app i tried isnt worth the price. try again please
    I agree with this 100%, are you sure I'm not your friend? LOL
    Last edited by DSMKilla; 12-11-2008 at 12:43 AM.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by DSMKilla View Post
    Sounds like someone is just being greedy.
    or reasonable? considering the fact that almost everything else in this world has a trial period of some sort.

  11. #31
    do like swirly did and make something revolutionary. they brought mms to the iphone. stop complaining and bring copy and paste to the iphone and you could charge any price and people would pay...good developer or bad. make what the people want and they will buy
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.

  12. #32
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In the clouds.
    Posts
    131
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 16 Times in 11 Posts

    Default Stability
    I think one of the main problems also, here, is the poor stability of the iPhone itself when it comes to running applications. I mean, for well written programs using the official SDK running on an official, closed operating system with the constraints incurred, there is absolutely no reason that applications should be made so unstable as to work one moment and suddenly just not work the next. 99% of the time, from what I have seen the problems seem to be permissions related, but if by this time apple can't sort out one simple little operating system to at least keep itself in check and give something beyond alpha level of stability, why on earth would i want to waste any more of my money on this thing?

    I think in my case the facts speak for themselves. My iPhone is currently carried around in my bag in airplane mode being used for nothing more than checking my emails, because everything else i need to do I can do a lot simpler and easier with my Nokia N95 that keeps on going and going and going. The regular updates are driving me mad hoping for stability improvements, then i have to resync all my music, videos and apps only to find out that something didn't quite work right so I do a restore and start installing fresh copies of everything.

    There are only so many times i can keep doing this, I am a busy man, I need a phone that will do what i need it to when i need it to and keep on doing it without question, quickly, efficiently and reliably for as long as i need it to.


    Now if i had that stability from my iPhone I would be more than willing to pay decent money for apps that do the things i need done. As one would imagine, with increased cost comes increased complexity, and so better apps are going to take longer to load. Already i have to wait silly times for loading just to input a persons phone number, wen i can have it done as fast as the person can read it out to me on my Nokia. And these kind of people can't afford the extra 10 seconds waiting around for my iPhone to load the phone app.

    As far as I see it now, it's a hopeless race for this generation of iPhones. When they come out with something that can match the stability of their other systems, the functionality and the speed and reliability, then, and only then do i think people will be willing to take the iPhone seriously enough to sell out good money for well developed applications.
    Last edited by alias_neo; 12-11-2008 at 05:02 AM. Reason: Typos - drunk - sorry
    NeO
    iPhone 2G 2.2 8GB - VodaUK
    |OSX86 10.5.6|Win 7|Win XP|Win Vista Ult|

  13. #33
    ^^^^i think 2.2 did a very good job at addressing the issue of stability. not as much as needed but there has definately been some major improvements.i belive this is also a reason that apple is forcing people into 2.2 by not letting them download certain apps unless they are running the 2.2 firmware. good summary though.
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.

  14. #34
    I think its simlpe - Decent apps will sell if they are worth it. If they are good apps and perform accordingly then charge more

    BUT - the key to it all is FULL feature trials - 24h/48h is the key. I am not spending $10 on an app that 'might' do what i want. Until there are trials I will never spend more $1/2 on an app unless I have seen it myself on a friends phone etc so i can try it out.

  15. #35
    Default excel app
    Make a decent app that lets me edit native excel files and I will pay a decent chunk of money. The number of crappy try hard programs that imitate excel are frustratingly plentiful. I'm just thankful there were lite versions of those crappy programs for me to try.

  16. #36
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    121
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by cricketlang View Post
    uhhh get over it dude. make a better app. that beejive messenger is 15.99 and i paid for that. it holds one of the top positions in the social networking category because its exactly what people wanted. Make an app that people want and they will buy it. simple as that.
    I agree with you 100%

    Make a polished application that people will want and they should have no problems making their money back (and for the love of god, stop with all the app clones people keep making). Maybe use their 'codes' to give review sites a free copy, in exchange for a review, to help get the word out.... hell, maybe even a little advertising or at least try to hype it up a little before it's released.

    If apps aren't selling, it's their own fault.... bring something better to the table or help sell the product by going above and beyond your competition

  17. #37
    I have enjoyed reading this post and the replies. I have a bit of experience in the area in which the developer speaks of having founded one of the first downloadable software portals years ago; PalmGear.com

    A few points which seem to have been missed or glossed over in replies here:
    1. The developer is commenting on how $0.99 apps get more prominent placement at the app store, to this I agree and it does promote developers to put out cheaper products.

    2. There are not enough trial versions of apps; possible solution is to have a trial and then if they buy instead of providing a key they download the full version via the app store and/or have the key tied directly to the iphone serial number.

    3. on deck stores (that is really what the AppStore is) are so limited in their presentation due to screen size that is not an issue on the desktop. Sadly, at PalmGear we noticed it was not necessarily the best apps that sold in high numbers as much as it was the ones that either were good quality with a polished look AND MORE IMPORTANTLY the presentation layer (i.e. what a prospective customer saw on first view of the app, whether on desktop catalog/web or on device (deck)). IOW... MARKETING. It was very common for extremely good products to get trumped in the marketplace by others who simply had excellent marketing and presentation.

    I could add more but then this post would end up being an article in and of itself...

    I will close with this, I think some here missed the developers point (placement of apps on the appstore is given more prominence based on low cost). The thing is, put it on the main page of the app store and it will sell, regardless of the level of quality. Sad but true.
    Last edited by helitx; 12-11-2008 at 08:06 AM.

  18. #38
    paying over $5 for iphone software is rediculous to me.

  19. #39
    My iPhone is a Part of Me JAG2621's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    510
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 58 Times in 45 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by helitx View Post
    I will close with this, I think some here missed the developers point (placement of apps on the appstore is given more prominence based on low cost). The thing is, put it on the main page of the app store and it will sell, regardless of the level of quality. Sad but true.
    I do not agree with that all the way. Lets put an app called my toilet on the main page (looks like crap,plays like crap,must be crap) and you say it will sell better than most because it is on the main page and they are not. Thats crap. If the app is a good one it will sell. If it sucks it will not. Price makes is a small part of it but you are saying put crap in front of everyones face and they will buy it anyway. Would you price it at 2.99 and sell 300 of the apps or price at .99 and sell 1500 because more people could afford it or would be willing to take a chance at .99 hoping it to be a good app.
    Last edited by JAG2621; 12-11-2008 at 02:41 PM.
    If anything was usefull a thanks would be great!

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by dualcorex View Post
    or reasonable? considering the fact that almost everything else in this world has a trial period of some sort.
    Hmmm obviously you didn't read my post otherwise you would have noticed that the being greedy comment was directed toward someone elses comment

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •