+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Hidden Code Turns iPhone into TV Gaming Machine

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    iPhone? More like MyPhone AppleChic's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Hidden Code Turns iPhone into TV Gaming Machine

An iPhone developer was able to find hidden code in the SDK that allows iPhone games to be played on a wide screen TV. ArsTechnica's Erica Sadun collaborated with Freeverse, makers of Moto Chaser, and experimented with the APIs. Just a few hours later, the TV version of the iPhone game was made.

They used the iPhone's accelerometer for input and steering and routed the game's video through a video-out cable to the TV. Freeverse says that the game ran best on the second-generation iPod touch, because of its 532MHz processor.

Freeverse says that Moto Chaser is “nearly playable” because it maxed out at around 20 frames per second. Bruce Morrison, of Freeverse , says the "norm for commercial games is 30fps, a point at which motion becomes as smooth and watchable as normal TV video." The game’s sound quality was initially lacking, but it greatly improved when pumped through some decent speakers.

All in all the dev effort took under 3 hours!...iPhone/TV gaming on its way!

Source: AppleInsider | Hidden feature turns iPhone into TV gaming device
    AppleChic

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AppleChic For This Useful Post:

apoc (12-07-2008), ipirate (12-08-2008), jatatla (12-07-2008), louort3 (12-08-2008), NakedFaerie (12-07-2008), ultimatexpka (12-06-2008)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

First
    Thaats tight! when and Where do i get it?
    Last edited by stalli_ker; 12-06-2008 at 05:08 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

shweet!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Pretty cool
    That is pretty cool. Cannot wait to try it out myself

Banned
    Thanks

This Looks Fake-

1. Why is he pushing the gas opposite side?
    2. the gas pedal also Lights up with ur fingerprint when PUSHED. wheres that? Since its just a video out it should show everything, no?
    and most importantly...
    3. The game doesnt even start on a ROLL.. its starts at a dead stop.

In fact theres no loading of anything related to the game,no menu, level\bike selections-

looks like he's watching a video not actually playing.
    Last edited by Carrbone; 12-06-2008 at 05:36 PM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

sweet im glad i just got a 40 inch lcd 1080p on black firday recently

iPhone? More like MyPhone JackSchitt's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ultimatexpka View Post
    sweet im glad i just got a 40 inch lcd 1080p on black firday recently

this wont do you any good, it wont broadcast in hidef. it will probably look like poo on that tv.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrbone View Post
    This Looks Fake-

2. the gas pedal also Lights up with ur fingerprint when PUSHED. wheres that? Since its just a video out it should show everything, no?
    and most importantly...

In fact theres no loading of anything related to the game,no menu, levelbike selections-

I'm not saying that you're wrong - that'd be way too arrogant. But did you ever stop to consider a few things?

1) This is a demo/experiment by the people that made the working iPhone game.

2) When people are testing out snippets of code for games they don't want or need all the preamble of loading and intro screens.

3) As it's an experiment which was apparently done in three hours I would think it was pretty quick and dirty - which would mean using the whole screen as the gas key and not bothering to put in any state/colour changes on press for the key.... What would be the point in spending extra time making it all pretty if the TV out doesn't work in the first place?

Maybe none of the above is correct and it is all a hoax. But I for one would like to think that it's for real.
    Last edited by catlas; 12-06-2008 at 06:09 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to catlas For This Useful Post:

reanimationxp (12-08-2008)

Thanks

Thats Awesome
    Last edited by Broomhead; 12-06-2008 at 06:25 PM.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Livin the iPhone Life billchase2's Avatar
    Thanks

that would be amazing!! especially if 3rd party cables were supported...
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default awsome
    but.... i have no use for it.

Thanks

two things I noticed
    1. on the screen the Gas button is on the lower left but his thumb is hitting the lower right....

2. his steering was not synced with the bike...he turned left and it didn't do anything...a couple of time actually he tilts to the left and it just went straight....

in my conclusion, this looks like a fake...notice I said "LOOKS" like a fake, not saying it is... but that video is convincing me other wise.....
    Last edited by z3r01; 12-06-2008 at 06:53 PM.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by z3r01 View Post
    two things I noticed
    1. on the screen the Tass button is on the lower left but his thumb is hitting the lower right....

2. his steering was not synced with the bike...he turned left and it didn't do anything...a couple of time actually he tilts to the left and it just went straight....

in my conclusion, this looks like a fake...notice I said "LOOKS" like a fake, not saying it is... but that video is convincing me other wise.....
    Thank you.
    Exaclty my thoughts... based on the video, it quote 'Looks' fake.

maybe its a Nyer thing or maybe we think before we just believe.

Quote Originally Posted by catlas View Post
    want or need all the preamble of loading and intro screens.

3) As it's an experiment which was apparently done in three hours I would think it was pretty quick and dirty - which would mean using the whole screen as the gas key and not bothering to put in any state/colour changes on press for the key.... What would be the point in spending extra time making it all pretty if the TV out doesn't work in the first place?

Maybe none of the above is correct and it is all a hoax. But I for one would like to think that it's for real.

I have no intentions of thinking thats true in any way.... Its A VIDEO OUT...correct?.... theres no reason the Gas key shouldnt be there and the color change from the finger showing up.
    If the developer had enought time to make the whole screen the gas button then that already confirms that this is BS... if he had enought time to 'change' the buttons and input on the game then wtf-
    Last edited by Carrbone; 12-06-2008 at 06:57 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AppleChic View Post

An iPhone developer was able to find hidden code in the SDK that allows iPhone games to be played on a wide screen TV. ArsTechnica's Erica Sadun collaborated with Freeverse, makers of Moto Chaser, and experimented with the APIs. Just a few hours later, the TV version of the iPhone game was made.

They used the iPhone's accelerometer for input and steering and routed the game's video through a video-out cable to the TV. Freeverse says that the game ran best on the second-generation iPod touch, because of its 532MHz processor.

Freeverse says that Moto Chaser is “nearly playable” because it maxed out at around 20 frames per second. Bruce Morrison, of Freeverse , says the "norm for commercial games is 30fps, a point at which motion becomes as smooth and watchable as normal TV video." The game’s sound quality was initially lacking, but it greatly improved when pumped through some decent speakers.

All in all the dev effort took under 3 hours!...iPhone/TV gaming on its way!

Source: AppleInsider | Hidden feature turns iPhone into TV gaming device

So where do i sign up!!!

Banned
    Thanks

Thanks

I would love for nothing more than the iPhone to be the controller and be able to play NES on the TV. That would be amazing!
    Respect your elders.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

as the awesomeness continues

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Meh, seems kinda pointless to me...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Banned
    Thanks

This is a great find.

What I'm after is the full iPhone output through a video cable so I can see what I'm listening to in the car on the in-dash screen. ATM it only plays videos so its really lame.

I would like the video out to be more like the PSP and output everything not just videos.

Is there is an plugin or whatever to do this? If so, where is it?, or do I have to wait for these devs to make it?
    Last edited by NakedFaerie; 12-07-2008 at 01:42 AM.

Thanks

This Looks Fake-

and most importantly...

In fact theres no loading of anything related to the game,no menu, levelbike selections-

Actually, here ya go.

Quote Originally Posted by Article mentioned below
    Then, Freeverse took a few shortcuts. In the demo video above, you'll notice that the program skips the main menu and goes directly into racing mode. In the normal game, the gas button is touch controlled to allow you to accelerate. In this demo, the same button is hardwired down so all you need to control is driving.
    http://arstechnica.com/articles/paed...ing-device.ars
    Last edited by 461am; 12-07-2008 at 02:08 AM.