+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Voice Dialing, Search, and More with Vlingo

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Alright alright Joost failed . Here's a little app that certainly does not fail -- in fact it really is good. I have used it for a few days now
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,273 Times in 652 Posts

Default Voice Dialing, Search, and More with Vlingo

Alright alright Joost failed. Here's a little app that certainly does not fail -- in fact it really is good. I have used it for a few days now and it hasn't had any changes in how well it works. Remember back a monthish ago when Google came out with their voice searching app that was all the rage? Now add in some voice dialing, voice map search, and voice social networking updates all in one. Yup that's vlingo.

Voice Dial

Come on Apple why isn't voice dial enabled by default? It needs to be. Oh well at least the AppStore opens up the possibility to take up the slack where Apple fails. Vlingo does some voice dialing and it does it well. Just a couple short minutes of setup and you'll be ready to dial your contacts by voice instead of getting bogged down scrolling through the iPhone's default contact book. BE WARNED though. Vlingo copies your contacts to their servers to make their voice dailing solution work. It doesn't warn you that that's what it is doing. If you are paranoid about them having your contacts list the don't use it. It only copies names not numbers -- that isn't so bad.

Voice Search

You can't have a voice app without a voice search as far as I'm concerned and of course vlingo handles voice search without a problem. Just hit the button on the main screen and say something like "web search awesome iphone modding" and up your search results will pop. Another nice feature is you can use vlingo to do either a Yahoo or Google search. I don't know why you would want to use Yahoo instead of Google but you can.

Voice Maps

The default map.app is pretty awesome for looking up what you're looking for. But what if you don't want to type? Vlingo has you covered. Say "find sushi" and up pops the map search results for sushi. Voice > typing every day of the week.

Voice Facebook / Twitter

These days updating your status on social networking sites is all the rage (practically an addiction. Yeah there are plenty of apps out there on the AppStore than handle Facebook and Twitter that give you a lot more options than just shooting out status updates to your friends/followers/stalkers but for status updates voice is the way to go. After a simple setup (entering in your login details) press talk and you've updated your stats -- can't be simpler.

All in all

Vlingo is one of if not the best voice app on the AppStore at the moment. It understands my good ol' boy drawl without much issue. It does web searches map searches and voice dialing efficiently which are the things I care about. It has made it to the front page of my homescreen. It works quickly and tends to be more accurate than the other options like Say Who, Say What, and Google so just drop them and get this one instead if you can get over the bit of shadyness where vlingo copies your contact list without notification. Further more word on the interwebs says that vlingo will be providing updates in the coming months that will add even more voice functionality to the iPhone.

To download here is the the link -- oh did I mention it is free?

Thanks

Should be fun...lol

The voice apps never understand me.

Me = "web search ModMyI" Google Voice = "wet dirt mud in your eye"

I can't win.lol

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Now how 'bout some support for the iPoT? We've got to jump through hoops to get voice search!

But really...Vlingo is top of the list for now.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

testing it right now

i'll let you know how it works

iPhone? More like MyPhone Dust Busta's Avatar
    Thanks

Works good but I don't know if I'll use it much. It's faster just to type in the info

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yeah it looks tempting.

I wonder if they are using the undocumented apis that google used for their app.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i have vlingo on my blackberry and love it.. wish it did speech to text on the iphone like it does on blackberry..

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Is it just me or does this completely replace the Google Mobile Application?

Thanks

i will be checking this one out as soon as i get home.
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,273 Times in 652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brian.Bustos View Post
    Is it just me or does this completely replace the Google Mobile Application?
    hands down

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cody Overcash For This Useful Post:

tattoojack (12-05-2008)

Thanks

I cann't get Facebook to work, "cannot decode raw data" Anyone else getting the same message?
    iPhone 4 | iMac 24" | MacBook Pro 15" | ATV | iPod Classic | Time Capsule | iPad 16 Gb |

Green Apple
    Thanks

"Vlingo copies your contacts to their servers to make their voice dailing solution work. It doesn't warn you that that's what it is doing. If you are paranoid about them having your contacts list the don't use it".

Reading the disclosure only the company name or contact name is sent, not the actual numbers, or address's

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

lolol..im not useing it.....have to many important numbers the public cant see..lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cash7c3 View Post
    Come on Apple why isn't voice dial enabled by default?
    Because apple is depending on us developers to make their phone have everything it needs.

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by coachballfirm View Post
    lolol..im not useing it.....have to many important numbers the public cant see..lol
    They only send the names, no actual numbers are actually sent.

That said, this app rocks! I leave it open all the time now before closing the phone so whenever I'm asked something or need to call someone I can just unlock and give the command.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

Thanks

This is the best voice app yet...
    IT WOULD BE AWESOME IF THEY ADDED VOICE TO TEXT!!!
    After using this it replaced:
    Say Who
    Say Where
    Google Mobile
    Its like 3 apps in one. I Love IT !

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

On the Facebook update part it accepts my voice and then brings me to a page where i still have to press a button to update the status. Is this normal or should it just auto update the said status?

Green Apple
    Thanks

anyone having issues setting up the voice dial? It trys to upload my contact list and fails everytime with an error stating there is no internet connection. This is the case on wifi and 3g.

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bschucher View Post
    On the Facebook update part it accepts my voice and then brings me to a page where i still have to press a button to update the status. Is this normal or should it just auto update the said status?
    I don't think it has auto-update, you need to confirm. I guess for fear of not getting it right the first time.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dpulley8 View Post
    This is the best voice app yet...
    IT WOULD BE AWESOME IF THEY ADDED VOICE TO TEXT!!!
    After using this it replaced:
    Say Who
    Say Where
    Google Mobile
    Its like 3 apps in one. I Love IT !
    Same here replaced the same apps with this one. It just gets it right about 99% of the time. Love it.