+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Review] Joost for iPhone Rocks - edit - nevermind

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Just a few days ago Joost released their FREE iPhone app . For those of you that are not familiar with Joost they have a website that allows you to
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,269 Times in 652 Posts

Default [Review] Joost for iPhone Rocks - edit - nevermind

Just a few days ago Joost released their FREE iPhone app. For those of you that are not familiar with Joost they have a website that allows you to watch streaming high quality movies, shows, and music videos which I personally have been using for ages (back before they streamed to a website and could only be access via a desktop client). The Joost website has a very solid selection of different things to watch and is very pleasent to use. Will their entry into the world of iPhone hold up to my expectations?

The answer: a resounding yes. The iPhone client available free via the AppStore has to be one of the best ways to watch good quality streaming media on the iPhone. The selection is large, the app is easy to use, and the stream works quickly without lag if you are on a solid wifi network. I recommend Joost to anyone that is looking for a great iPhone app for watching popular video. One of my favorite features of the app is the built in video player interface which allows you to start watching a video and then exit right back into the app -- other comparable solutions that I have used on the iPhone use the standard stock iPhone video player which works okay but it's a lot cooler that Joost took the time to make the video player match their app.

The Pros
    • Great selection of movies, shows, and music videos.
    • The app looks nice.
    • Side swipe navigation is cool.
    • A search that really works.
    • High quality vids.
    • Built in video player.
    • Can anyone say the magic word? Free.
    • I am a long-time fan of Joost.

The Cons
    • Sporadic reports of data loss time out which would normally just kill the app for me. In this case I personally haven't had a problem and I believe the issue will be completely be sorted in an update coming soon.
    • You have to be on wifi. Why oh why can't I use it on 3G . (of course us jailbreakers know about Voipover3g -- problem is there have been some issues with Joost).
    • edit: No seriously. The odds of it working are spotty at best. When it works it works great. The next day it does not work. Someone tag a "fix me" sticker on it.

To sum it up Grab Joost. Trust me. It's free, solid (or soon to be), and awesome.

edit:
    sigh. It was working really well for me last night. Today it doesn't work at all.

Wait for Joost to update whatever they are having issues with then grab it

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cody Overcash For This Useful Post:

ASar08 (12-04-2008), BenzoHartt (12-04-2008), NakedFaerie (12-05-2008), playful_cyanide (12-05-2008)

iPhone? More like MyPhone riku98523's Avatar
    Thanks

I am about to grab this right now

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have been trying to get joost to work on my iPhone 3G since the day it became available on App Store, but, haven't had any success.
    It give me a "Playback Error" every time I try to play any video, saying "The connection to the server was lost. This may be because of poor network quality. Please try again later."
    I would accept that my connection is slow if it didn't work on my macbook with the same wi-fi connection, but, I does....perfectly.

iPhone? More like MyPhone iphoneroeth's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joeyjoe View Post
    I have been trying to get joost to work on my iPhone 3G since the day it became available on App Store, but, haven't had any success.
    It give me a "Playback Error" every time I try to play any video, saying "The connection to the server was lost. This may be because of poor network quality. Please try again later."
    I would accept that my connection is slow if it didn't work on my macbook with the same wi-fi connection, but, I does....perfectly.
    used it since day 1 without any glitch!

Thanks

I'm gonna give it a shot, should be interesting to have more of a video selection.

Livin the iPhone Life billchase2's Avatar
    Thanks

had it... deleted it. i wasn't that impressed. it crashed on me a couple of times and kept having to buffer. i also found it kind of difficult to find full episodes of shows. most were just snippits...
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

iPhone? More like MyPhone jaredb03's Avatar
    Thanks

It has terrible reviews on itunes. still going to try it out for myself though.

Thanks

I too installed and then uninstalled Joost. Simply put, it does NOT rock. I have been testing out Joost since its early beta days on my laptop, and as ever, the iPhone app shows that they have not yet dealt with buffer underrun issues. (I have a good, fast, stable connection.) The two stars out of five in the AppStore say it all. A far better video streaming (AND downloading) app is MxTube, which I believe uses YouTube's servers. I think Joost's servers just don't have the horsepower to deal with the load.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Amadomon View Post
    I too installed and then uninstalled Joost. Simply put, it does NOT rock. I have been testing out Joost since its early beta days on my laptop, and as ever, the iPhone app shows that they have not yet dealt with buffer underrun issues. (I have a good, fast, stable connection.) The two stars out of five in the AppStore say it all. A far better video streaming (AND downloading) app is MxTube, which I believe uses YouTube's servers. I think Joost's servers just don't have the horsepower to deal with the load.

FYI: BenzoHartt is now jumping on the band wagon!!!...

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,269 Times in 652 Posts

sigh. It was working really well for me last night. Today it doesn't work at all.

Wait for Joost to update whatever they are having issues with then grab it

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Bleh...
    That's funny that this article talks about Joost being great, but when you look it up in the AppStore, it has only 2 stars and a crap load of different complaints by users. I'm going to avoid this for now.

If you really want something cool, get "Orb" live. If you run the software on your media PC at home, you can access all your media from anywhere! Even streaming Live TV if you have a TV card. I watch other football games while I'm at my local game. It's freakin' awesome!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Rocks? Joost sucks a fat one

The service is un-reliable (even over a fast wifi connection), it doesn't work over 3G and the selection is terrible.

Here's to hoping that Hulu creates an iphone app

Thanks
    Default Joooooost?
    No thank you, buffering is crappy and GUI...quite frankly...looks like it was designed by my neighbor's grandma, AFTER she lost her reading glasses.

Thanks

Very sucky...BIG TIME...it is so slow, even on my extremely fast wifi connection. This either needs a complete redo, or removed from the app store, cause right now it doesnt even deserve a spot in there!
    Have to agree Orb is much better...and i dont even really like that.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Seems a hit or miss.

Will try it anyway.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

W.R.T. the app working (or not):
    It seems to me how stable/fast the internet connection is partly why it's succeeding/failing (I could get it to work well on my work's T3-backboned wifi but not consistently on my home DSL-backed wifi or a few hotspots I visit). Also, it won't be likely 3G could even stream this, since it uses good-quality h.264 streaming (like Joost's original app on the PC which consumed 100MB/hour).
    Last edited by GenesisDH; 12-05-2008 at 10:49 AM.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

Green Apple
    Thanks

I think their server are just getting slammed. Oh well, maybe in a few months they'll be up to speed, so to speak.

Thanks

Its a great app and works fine for me, video qualiry is great and there is loads of content, so far the problems mentioned have not affected me at anytime
    Eric's iPhone 4 4.01 offically unlocked

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BigBadBruno View Post
    That's funny that this article talks about Joost being great, but when you look it up in the AppStore, it has only 2 stars and a crap load of different complaints by users. I'm going to avoid this for now.

If you really want something cool, get "Orb" live. If you run the software on your media PC at home, you can access all your media from anywhere! Even streaming Live TV if you have a TV card. I watch other football games while I'm at my local game. It's freakin' awesome!
    If Orb's software didn't suck giant @ss, I'd agree. I can't even get the thing to run, and I assure you, I know what I'm doing.