Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Rumors of a 32GB iPhone

Default Rumors of a 32GB iPhone

The Macworld Expo is scheduled to take place in San Francisco from January 5th to 9th, 2009 and is the most likely venue for Apple's next product announcements. While there are several rumors circulating about what new products will be announced and which existing products will be updated, one rumor indicates that Apple may unveil a 32GB iPhone at the MacWorld Expo.

Although this rumor is largely unsubstantiated, certain events coupled with the right timing have caused some to think this rumor could be true. The largest iPhone (16GB) currently only has half the memory of the largest iPod Touch (32GB) because the iPhone can only contain a single NAND Flash chip while the iPod Touch can house two. The extra space in the iPhone is consumed by necessary communications hardware. However, back in August Toshiba announced that they would mass produce the 32GB chips in the 4th quarter of 2008. These 32GB chips could possibly be used in a future iPhone model. Also, Intel interestingly announced that the Flash chips they developed could increase the maximum to 64GB by early 2009.

Further long-standing rumors adamantly say that Apple's iMac and Mac mini are due for needed updates at the MacWorld Expo. Also Mac Pro suitable Nehalem processors are due to be released in the first quarter of 2009 and many expect that the remainder of the Cinema Displays will be updated at the Expo.

Source: Macworld San Francisco 2009 Registration, New Macs, 32GB iPhones? - Mac Rumors
    AppleChic

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AppleChic For This Useful Post:

LEVMAN (12-02-2008)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Be better If they just went to a SSD wif ExtremeFFS...
    But I'll take a 32GB any day
    Last edited by a325pro2; 12-02-2008 at 09:16 AM.

i could see a the 32 gig coming out, thought it would be right after the christmas holidays. Maybe that'll produce a price drop on the retail value of the 8g 3G iPhones. I'm sure we could all appreciate that. :-)

ill have to pass on that. 8gb is plenty for me. any more than that and ill just grab a flash drive for 100 bucks, not some over priced phone with the flash drive inside. in any case, i like seeing ssd becoming mainstream. i was getting tired of fixing iPod harddisks.
    T-mobile has stolen my wallet's heart

Quote Originally Posted by a325pro2 View Post
    Be better If they just went to a SSD wif ExtremeFFS...
    But I'll take a 32GB any day
    a solid state drive is just a big amount of flash in a small package which is wht THE IPHONE HAS NOW

I already have an 80GB video iPod so I don't really need all that space on my phone. If it was cheap I would definitely be inviting but apps are somewhat small and I don't need to fill my phone with tons of songs or videos.

freaking awesome....thanks for the heads up~!

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by prodigy View Post
    I already have an 80GB video iPod so I don't really need all that space on my phone. If it was cheap I would definitely be inviting but apps are somewhat small and I don't need to fill my phone with tons of songs or videos.
    The entire point of the iPhone is to combine an iPod and a mobile phone, ... I don't know about you but I don't want to carry around an iPod classic and an iphone so the more internal memory my iPhone has the less useful the iPod video will be with it's tiny little screen.

Lightbulb Hey!!!
    Now as for the 32gb iphone, its an obvious step. My disappointment comes with the fact it will be a 3g and no 1st generation 32gb will be available. For all the hard-core fans of the iphone/mmi you will remember the article thats somewhere on this site that shows what shoddy craftmanship the 3g is compared to the regualar iphone and how many corners where cut at the sacrifice for $. Hopefully by then the 3g will be unlocked and accepted as the standard. But damn it if there was a 32gb first generation......

Edit Poseidon: Stay on topic... if you want to discuss the Nokia phone start a thread in Chit Chat.
    Last edited by Poseidon79; 12-02-2008 at 11:52 AM.
    None So Blind As Those Who Will Not See

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Munster of Apple said recently: "Apple could lower the price by removing features like 3G and GPS; alternatively, Apple could make a premium SKU with a sleeker design using higher-end materials, more processing power, better graphics and more storage."

This is definitely a viable direction for Apple to go. The iPhone is barred from China due to the built in Wifi chip. They plan to remove the functionality to market it there. So why not drop in a better NAND?
    Last edited by CaptainChaos; 12-02-2008 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Cool cool but I still enjoy my 2G iPhone 16GB and would not want to give it up! lol Im on no contracts and can be unlocked. Yes 32GB would be nice! Hmmm....

my iphone screen is cracked and i have 200mb left(16gb) so if a 32gb came out it would be perfect. =]

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    waiting....................

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Why hasn't Apple released a new iPhone yet??? All other mobile companies have released quite a few.
    I've been waiting for a 32gb for ages but if the design is anything like the 3G, I'll just stick with my 1st gen 8gb. I still use my iPod video 30gb and have only filled about 5gb yet in two years.
    iPod video doesn't have a tiny screen!!!!!

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

32GB is pointless to get unless they add an IR port so I can use my iPhone as a remote for the stuff in my house.

Think about it, you have Simplify to stream your iTunes library to your phone and up to 30 of your firends.

You have Joost and other programs to stream movies and videos over wifi.

You have alot of app that don't require you to store stuff on the iPhone.

I think i'll stay with my 16GB until they wow me with some hardware features.
    Android user suffering from iPhone withdraw.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to gQstatus05 For This Useful Post:

crashnburn_in (01-05-2009)

Looks like I'm going to wait on upgrading to a 3G iPhone.

Nice timing on this thread, I was going to buy a 3G to replace my 1st Gen after work, which is 20 minutes away.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sgt sm00th View Post
    Looks like I'm going to wait on upgrading to a 3G iPhone.

Nice timing on this thread, I was going to buy a 3G to replace my 1st Gen after work, which is 20 minutes away.
    This is all speculation. Why wait? You figure it will be at least 6 months before a new one comes out.

Man, I need to upgrade my 4gig, it's so weak now...
    "Spaceships don't come equipped with rear view mirrors..." -Andre Benjamin the 3000th

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

i want a whole new iphone!!!!!!!! and no watered down crap like the 3g.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

i hate how ill buy a computer and next week my computer is out dated. damm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast