Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone Dev Team boots Linux on iPhone!

Default iPhone Dev Team boots Linux on iPhone!

from
    planetbeing on Vimeo.

The Dev Team has reached a new milestone today, as the first alternative operating system for the hardware, Linux, is now successfully running on the iPhone.

The first build is considered a draft version and is working on the iPhone, iPhone 3G, and the original iPod touch. The software mostly includes the Linux 2.6 kernel and some basic graphics, serial and functional drivers that are just enough to get a command line running when input is sent over the USB interface. However, the accelerometer, audio, networking and not even the touchscreen have received any software support as of yet.

The Dev Team has also created OpeniBoot , a basic multi-boot front end, that lets users toggle between an alternative platform and Apple's own OS.

Although the project is still limited it is nonetheless the first known instance of a non-OS X operating system working on Apple's touchscreen devices. Jailbreaking and unlocking handsets were the only previous modifications that have been successful.

Furthermore, the Dev team has outlined its new goals and is searching for programmers to help with the project; the next step they say is to hopefully run Google's equally Linux-based but more elaborate Android mobile operating system on the iPhone.

Source: AppleInsider | iPhone Dev Team successfully boots Linux on iPhone
    AppleChic

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AppleChic For This Useful Post:

Dizz (11-29-2008), elr0y7 (11-29-2008), retro13 (11-29-2008)

It's a start for everyone who's been waiting forever.

so what does this mean for all of us?

Quote Originally Posted by jmano0o View Post
    so what does this mean for all of us?
    It means we are closer to be able to support multiple os's on our Apple Devices, with a more open ability to do more with the device itself

it means another OS running on the iphone and once it gets fine tuned, expect options, also android shouldn't be far from
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

when they said linux i thought they meant a linux distro like slax able to work on the iphone

Sweet, taking my linux class next semester so maybe I can utilize this.
    "Spaceships don't come equipped with rear view mirrors..." -Andre Benjamin the 3000th

Quote Originally Posted by ihawk0789 View Post
    when they said linux i thought they meant a linux distro like slax able to work on the iphone
    Linux is a kernel.

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Really hope Android works on the iPhone!!! If it does I'll never go back to Apple's firmwares.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

bad ***!! this is the kind of stuff worth donating for!!

bleh. why would anyone care? lol. it will never be as refined and polished as apple's existing OS on the interface.. don't get me wrong, i like linux, run ubuntu, but there isn't any practical value to this..
    Last edited by scottjl; 11-29-2008 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
    bleh. why would anyone care? lol. it will never be as refined and polished as apple's existing OS on the interface.. don't get me wrong, i like linux, run ubuntu, but there isn't any practical value to this..
    There's plenty of practical value. Bye bye apple restrictions. This will open doors to more modding capability. The list of possibilities is so long I have no idea where to begin listing all the benefits we we see from this. Finally, we will be able to use the iPhone to it's fullest capability!!

Thanks

dual booting between android and mobile os x, can you imagine that?!

question: with the new bootloader, would it be possible to partition the iphones hard drive and multi boot possibly 2 versions of mobile os x? i.e. 1 for business with exchange on, 1 for personal. this would be very handy if it would be possible?

i hate getting my work email at 9pm when im chillaxin at home
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

This is very cool. I used to run linux on my ipod photo before the screen died on me and loved it. I can't wait to see it in action on my phone.

Uhhm, this has been posted under user posted News section a day or two ago. Let's not take credit for someone else's findings please, AppleChick.

As far as Linux kernel on iPhone, this is great as it puts us quite a few steps closer to UME or android dualboot as well as custom made light Linux distros. This also can lead to WinMo on the iPhone as well.
    To me, the iPhone was always more about the hardware then software as iPhone OS is seriously lacking in terms or productivity.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Emir S. For This Useful Post:

Bernie-Mac (11-29-2008)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

how would android on the iphone even work, they use a actual keyboard, we use touchscreen. even if we got it to load, it would have to be fully redone. and all software that gets released regularly for android G1 wouldn't even work for us because of hardware issues unless some how they can set a program to redirect specific software requests for like keyboard to digital keyboard touch screen. i see so many things wrong with that
    1.1.1>1.1.2>1.1.4>2.0>2.1>2.2>3.1>3.1.2 blackra1n'd

waitin on my white iphone 4

Default Nice
    That is seriously out of control. Leave it to the Dev Team to blow my mind once again.
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.

stupid.... its like putting a custom engine into a ferrari. granted apple is being a ***** holding out on us with stuff like MMS, copy/paste, and so on, but all these things can be done with jailbreaking.

im sure all that time put into getting Linux on the iphone couldve been put to setting up an integrated copy paste functionality....

23. The Following User Says Thank You to iPh0wned For This Useful Post:

keatonec (11-29-2008)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast