+ Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone Dev Team boots Linux on iPhone!

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
^ You apparently never used android. Android have unlimited functionality.
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

^ You apparently never used android. Android have unlimited functionality.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by safinator View Post
    holy crap

i just read the instructions on how to do it and it said that it could messup your phone to the point where it will never boot up properly and your computer will never recognize it. Thats way to risky
    big deal, it's just a $45 MOBO. I can lock them up and swap them in 5 minutes.

........I've seen me do it.

FREEDOM is what this is about.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

Green Apple
    Thanks

So, how close are we to getting a GUI linux on the iPhone? Weeks, Months, or a Year? Is Ubuntu going to be a possibility?
    "Carpe iPhone"-"Seize the iPhone"-Steve's Roman Ancestors

Thanks

ok. how many of you out there even use linux, on a daily basis, on your desktop? i'm guessing, maybe, maybe a dozen of you, if that.

linux running on the iphone is something you go "that's neat" at.. but i seriously doubt it will ever reach the maturity and functionality of apple's native os on the iphone. just look at the state of linux desktops (ubuntu and fedora) today compared to the mac and vista. application integration is NOT there in linux compared to the macos, windows, or the iphone native os. i've been using unix since the late 70's (a good chance longer than most of you have been alive) and i'm a huge fan of linux (both personally and professionally). but i seriously doubt anything would make me switch from the native os on my iphone over to linux. it will take them at least a year or two to even reach basic functionality and integration comparable to what is there now (if ever) and by then apple will have moved on even further.

if you want an android phone, why not just go buy an andriod that was designed that way from the ground up? same goes for the windows smartphones. why would you care about multi-booting a phone while you're out and about? isn't your phone for communication???

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Emir S. View Post
    What does a RAZR have to do with any smart phone?
    You are comparing a bicycle with an SUV.
    Have you ever used a Palm device or WinMo?
    Have you ever used UME?
    That's what the iPhone OS needs to be compared to. Not a RAZR.
    No wonder people are happy with it.
    Actually I had a WinMo phone BEFORE my RAZR, and I stilled considered the RAZR an upgrade. WinMo was nothing but headaches 100% of the time, I hated it. I've also used Palm devices several times in the past, but was never very impressed, and was never compelled to get one for myself either. But the main difference between Android and WinMo/Palm is that android is totally open. A lot of people want to install a different OS because they are sick of proprietary this and that. Installing another proprietary system would be pointless in that case (I'm sure someone will still do it tho)

The iPhone will be compared to RAZR and similar phones a lot though, because, for a LOT of people, the iPhone is their first smartphone. For the most part, before the iPhone, PDAs and smart phones were mostly for nerds and business people, but weren't as commonly used as an everyday device by your typical average joe (who isn't particularly technically-inclined or working in a large corporate environment). iPhones (no doubt in part due to Apple's monstrous advertising campaigns) have really widened the smartphone frontier and a lot of people have upgraded to them, who were never interested in smart phones before.

Oh, and scottj: No android phone was designed that way from the 'ground up'. When android was being developed, there was no specific hardware in mind, it is a completely open operating system, and was designed to run on many different types of hardware. Just because HTC got the first couple of gPhones doesn't mean there won't be a lot more diversity in the future. Android is designed to be adapted to whatever hardware you need to run it on.

As for ubuntu and other common desktop linux distros, I seriously doubt you'll ever see them ported to the iPhone. The entire user environment would have to be rewritten, and the entire suite of program packages would have to be redesigned to include strictly mobile applications. Once you've replaced the GUI and the entire set of program packages, it's essentially an entirely different distro. The reason you hear so much about android is because it's a linux distro designed for mobile phones, which is what is needed here.

Thanks

^the iPhone is not, and should not be compared to the razr. Is it just me or are you completely missing out on a whole host of nokia smart phones (comparably priced ones w/o contracts) that were out before it? Granted this wasn't so much of a thing in the US, but still, the iPhone is global, and as such you shouldn't be associating it with something that ONLY happened in the US.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

*jaw drops* amazing! =0...

Thanks

Awesome! Can't wait to replace iPhone stupid restricted/locked OS.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
    ok. how many of you out there even use linux, on a daily basis, on your desktop? i'm guessing, maybe, maybe a dozen of you, if that.

linux running on the iphone is something you go "that's neat" at.. but i seriously doubt it will ever reach the maturity and functionality of apple's native os on the iphone. just look at the state of linux desktops (ubuntu and fedora) today compared to the mac and vista. application integration is NOT there in linux compared to the macos, windows, or the iphone native os. i've been using unix since the late 70's (a good chance longer than most of you have been alive) and i'm a huge fan of linux (both personally and professionally). but i seriously doubt anything would make me switch from the native os on my iphone over to linux. it will take them at least a year or two to even reach basic functionality and integration comparable to what is there now (if ever) and by then apple will have moved on even further.

if you want an android phone, why not just go buy an andriod that was designed that way from the ground up? same goes for the windows smartphones. why would you care about multi-booting a phone while you're out and about? isn't your phone for communication???
    personally im interested in multi booting android and mobile os x.

my exchange email and calendar goes through my my iphone at the minute, and getting work emails at like 9pm sucks. i could turn the account off, but then i dont get push gmail which is my personal email pushed through my exchange server.

my personal life is all hooked into gmail+gcal, all around google, so if i could boot to android when i get home every night that would be amazing.

but, that aside, would it be possible to install 2 partitions of mobile os x on the iphone and then use the bootloader to boot between them?
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

Green Apple
    Thanks

That is nice.
    Thanks for the info.

Thanks

i have no idea what you just said?

Jailbreakin since 1.1.1
    man i wish we could just download the jailbreak from safari just like back in the day.

update: comex has answered my wish.

custom setup:
    Asus m3n78 PRO
    AMD Phenom Quad-core 3.2GHz
    EVGA GTX 260 core 216 processors
    4GB G.Skill RAM
    HDDVD BLU-Ray DVD drive
    150GB Raptor X(has window to see disc)
    500GB WD HD

Thanks

ok. android was designed to run on different hardware, but right now the only hardware it supports has physical keyboards. how long do you think it will take to get decent iphone support for touch-screen only, without apple's help/blessing? and i never asked for ubuntu to be ported to the iphone, please re-read my message. i'm asking how long does anyone think it would take to get a decent UI on the iphone in linux? years at best i'm guesing. it's taken years for ubuntu (and fedora) to get refined to the point they are at and the osx and windows still are a level above them as far as overall UI experience and general integration (drag and drop of various data types between applications).

Thanks

ok. android was designed to run on different hardware, but right now the only hardware it supports has physical keyboards. how long do you think it will take to get decent iphone support for touch-screen only, without apple's help/blessing? and i never asked for ubuntu to be ported to the iphone, please re-read my message. i'm asking how long does anyone think it would take to get a decent UI on the iphone in linux? years at best i'm guesing. it's taken years for ubuntu (and fedora) to get refined to the point they are at and the osx and windows still are a level above them as far as overall UI experience and general integration (drag and drop of various data types between applications).
    from what ive been reading, months for android to be ported. and android has a touchscreen keyboard app already, although i dont think its great

Suck it up, Sucker

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

This is kinda realy pointless for us non hackertype. They only have a kernal which is like a basis for a dos like command prompt (i think) people dont think ur gona like load android on the iphone tomorrow and itll load. This will take months even years, will not be polished and will be under made (for gods sake it wont be good, its a pet project). They cant even get winpwn out so how do u think thyll get a whole new OS on the iphone? (thats more then a command prompt accesible through a computer, probably only mac)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alek View Post
    This is kinda realy pointless for us non hackertype. They only have a kernal which is like a basis for a dos like command prompt (i think) people dont think ur gona like load android on the iphone tomorrow and itll load. This will take months even years, will not be polished and will be under made (for gods sake it wont be good, its a pet project). They cant even get winpwn out so how do u think thyll get a whole new OS on the iphone? (thats more then a command prompt accesible through a computer, probably only mac)
    they havent dissapointed to date, so my hopes are high for a fully fuctional android option on the iphone.

they dont make winpwn either, they make the pwnage tool and quickpwn

Suck it up, Sucker

Thanks

For Mac owners who don't want to build it themselves, I managed to compile the tools for Leopard.
    (Put everything inside the bb folder in /usr/local/lib)

Other than the libusb stuff (included) I think the rest of the dependencies (readline, ncurses) are already installed on most Macs.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Anshu Chimala
    Follow @anshuchimala on Twitter
    Visit http://www.airpoke.com, my latest project for iPhone/iPod touch.

Thanks

Ubuntu doesn't even develop their UI, they use Gnome, and you can also use Xfce or KDE (Kubuntu) These are the 3 major Linux GUIs and they have been in development for a long time. These are also desktop GUIs. There are some other versions of linux such as the distro that runs on the Nokia n800/n810 that have a GUI designed for a mobile device. Also Android does support a soft keyboard, but this just hasn't been implemented yet.

Quote Originally Posted by alek View Post
    Okay, first of all the dev team doesn't even develop winpwn, and it was abandoned by its independent developer a couple months ago. And yes this is not very important for people who aren't the 'hacker type'. Have you noticed what website you are on? Android is already very developed and is an open operating system, therefore it only needs the specific hardware drivers to be integrated in order for it to run. This is a long way off from developing a 'whole new OS'.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smirkis View Post
    how would android on the iphone even work, they use a actual keyboard, we use touchscreen. even if we got it to load, it would have to be fully redone. and all software that gets released regularly for android G1 wouldn't even work for us because of hardware issues unless some how they can set a program to redirect specific software requests for like keyboard to digital keyboard touch screen. i see so many things wrong with that

i have a g1 as well as an iphone...andriod = open source anything possbile on that thing...but the iphones hardware is ten time more powerfull..so andriod on an iphone is gonna be oooooooddddddddd...also...theres onscreen keyboard in the works for the g1 already...its almost out actually...

Quote Originally Posted by reznor9 View Post
    Im pretty sure that by the time we reach that road, the google android OS will be available and distributed in more handsets, and Im sure one will have a touchscreen keyboard. The G1 is just the first android phone.. and being made by HTC, its pretty much a more advanced tmobile wing. Hopefully other manufactures like LG and Nokia will jump on this and create an actual phone more deserving and desirable than the bulky G1.
    motoroal and dopod are hopin on the android bandwagon...
    Last edited by young harlem; 12-01-2008 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    PROUD
    8g iphone anySIM Unlocked
    Custom Kanye West Graduation Theme
    Using on Both At&t and T-mobile

All done By Me!!!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I read through all of these posts, there have been some intelligent and well thought out posts as well as some very narrow-minded useless posts. What I dont understand are the people who put this down in some lame attempt at making themselves feel smarter by packing in all the thin-based knowledge they have gained over the years (months rather in some cases)and try to in some way bully others for thinking ahead and beyond. The purpose of this community/website is to expand and hobby a simple idea that Apple put together in combining what you like in a mobile laptop, what you'd love in cell phone, and expand what you loved about an MP3 player. It was designed to push the envelope of what the public majority believed was the limits of mobile communication and entertainment. With the exception of the new 3G iPhone, which I believe was out of control of Apple and in the hands of the couple captive carriers, Apple left the imagination to us and the developers to use it as we want to. I for one have no need to use Linux on the iPhone, but I surely wouldnt shame you for wanting to. This is why you bought it, why you keep the phone, and why most of us enjoy when nifty tricks, mods and apps come along. Its not the practicality of it, its the possibility of it. Who knows what doors will open from it, sit back and enjoy the ride. Or just go buy the latest & greatest and infinitely complain about it like you do now.

Sorry that was building up for a while, this sent it over the edge.
    Great work guys love the imagination.

Banned
    Thanks

Great job.

I have seen thats windows mobile too