+ Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone Dev Team boots Linux on iPhone!

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by smirkis how would android on the iphone even work, they use a actual keyboard, we use touchscreen. even if we got it to load, it would have
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smirkis View Post
    how would android on the iphone even work, they use a actual keyboard, we use touchscreen. even if we got it to load, it would have to be fully redone. and all software that gets released regularly for android G1 wouldn't even work for us because of hardware issues unless some how they can set a program to redirect specific software requests for like keyboard to digital keyboard touch screen. i see so many things wrong with that
    Im pretty sure that by the time we reach that road, the google android OS will be available and distributed in more handsets, and Im sure one will have a touchscreen keyboard. The G1 is just the first android phone.. and being made by HTC, its pretty much a more advanced tmobile wing. Hopefully other manufactures like LG and Nokia will jump on this and create an actual phone more deserving and desirable than the bulky G1.

Thanks

This is on my iphone, its not what you expect, its not as good as the ipod video version.

Its beta so yeah, keep upaded on here: blog.iphone-dev.org

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I would load *ANY* other OS on my iphone, just so I could get turn-by-turn navigation!!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

this will mean far more options for the jailbrake community. The devteam has no power over Apple's timelines to do things like copy paste.

What the devteam does is create ways for our hand held personal computer to be far more advanced than apple will allow us to be.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    This is great news.... it means that we may (like people have said) have an alternative to iphoneOS.

God Devteam.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I can't wait to put Windows Mobile on my iPhone!

J/k.

Thanks

This is awesome.
    http://modmyi.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=303541&dateline=12514  03473

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ihawk0789 View Post
    when they said linux i thought they meant a linux distro like slax able to work on the iphone
    They are running a BusyBox implementation, and almost all of the popular linux distros around are using one of 3 GUIs - KDE, Gnome, or Xfce. None of these would work on the iPhone at this point, not to mention this is very early and they haven't yet reverse-engineered the touchscreen control. The point is that the linux kernel is running successfully on its own on the iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by smirkis View Post
    how would android on the iphone even work, they use a actual keyboard, we use touchscreen. even if we got it to load, it would have to be fully redone. and all software that gets released regularly for android G1 wouldn't even work for us because of hardware issues unless some how they can set a program to redirect specific software requests for like keyboard to digital keyboard touch screen. i see so many things wrong with that
    For one, the android os is in no way dependent on the HTC phones currently officially supported, and it has been run on lots of other hardware before, some using touchscreen. Also, since android is open source, it would not be difficult to implement a soft-keyboard client that would simply send identical commands that a hardware keyboard would send. It's really not an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by RicardoFelix View Post
    Its beta so yeah, keep upaded on here: blog.iphone-dev.org
    That's not the right blog, are posted here: Linux on the iPhone

Anyways, as much as I love my iPhone I am super happy to see this development. Android is likely no more than a few months away, and I'm excited to see how this all plays out. Can't wait to play HL1 on my iPhone!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I guess its cool for the nerds but there is no point in replacing the iPhone's already incredibly good OS.

Thanks

^no point in jailbreaking at all then, eh? And yet we're still all here.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Congrats to the developers! Looking forward to whats to come....

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Woooo Hooooo!!!!!!!!!!
    WOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
    You folks rock!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Emir S.'s Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by M4tt Dam0n View Post
    I guess its cool for the nerds but there is no point in replacing the iPhone's already incredibly good OS.
    Just out of curiosity, what part of the stock iPhone OS do you find incredible? Stock meaning not jailbroken and enhanced.
    I'm not looking to flame, I'm just wondering want people are actually impressed with.
    I for one find it not only lacking but quite mediocre in terms of functionality. Hence why many of us Jailbreak.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Emir S. View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what part of the stock iPhone OS do you find incredible? Stock meaning not jailbroken and enhanced.
    I'm not looking to flame, I'm just wondering want people are actually impressed with.
    I for one find it not only lacking but quite mediocre in terms of functionality. Hence why many of us Jailbreak.
    Ever used a RAZR?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Once this is developed a bit more we could start to see custom ROMs for the iPhone, including, but not limited to, Windows Mobile 6, which isn't for everyone but the "Touchflo" software would make it exponentially more practical to use on the iphone. Not to mention Windows Mobile inclusions such as MMS, video, cut, cop, paste, excel, word, phone as modem and a plethora of 3rd party softwares that has been developed for years. This could be incredible with the port of apple's keyboard, because the WiMo touch screen keyboard is 98% unusable, and a browser as good as safari (maybe deepfish). I haven't heard anything on that since I switched to the iPhone, but it was supposed to be pretty good.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Emir S.'s Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WillyDavidK View Post
    Ever used a RAZR?
    What does a RAZR have to do with any smart phone?
    You are comparing a bicycle with an SUV.
    Have you ever used a Palm device or WinMo?
    Have you ever used UME?
    That's what the iPhone OS needs to be compared to. Not a RAZR.
    No wonder people are happy with it.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    this is awesome!!! i got an G1 not long ago and i love it~~i still have a itouch 2gen, hopefully they will able to port android or others linux OS to iphone or itouch~~great work DEV team

Livin the iPhone Life Bernie-Mac's Avatar
    Thanks

Jailbreaking the OS on the iPhone and giving the iPhone a completely new OS are two completely different things. The iPhone's OS is way better than any Windows device i have ever used. It is lacking in some aspects but thats what jailbreaking is for. We jailbreak to enhance the already stellar OS, not to replace it. Even if this becomes so easy to use and so widespread that its as simple as jailbreaking i am still going to stick with Apple's OS, it is way better than any other OS i have ever used
    iLive an iLife

Thanks

holy crap

i just read the instructions on how to do it and it said that it could messup your phone to the point where it will never boot up properly and your computer will never recognize it. Thats way to risky

Jailbreakin since 1.1.1
    man i wish we could just download the jailbreak from safari just like back in the day.

update: comex has answered my wish.

custom setup:
    Asus m3n78 PRO
    AMD Phenom Quad-core 3.2GHz
    EVGA GTX 260 core 216 processors
    4GB G.Skill RAM
    HDDVD BLU-Ray DVD drive
    150GB Raptor X(has window to see disc)
    500GB WD HD

Banned
    Thanks

u guys are so bent on android... YUCK-

How about loading Palm OS.

There is more software for Palm then probably any other mobile platform.