Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: You MAY NOT Sync Without iTunes

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

figures... Apple restricting thier customers? no way

This isn't a very big surprise. While I like apples products, I would LOVE to see them loose a large legal battle over something like this.

It's this business model that's restricting them too. Imagine the market share they'd gain over night if they released OS for any PC?

Quote Originally Posted by Nefarious View Post
    Syncing via exchange for calendar, contacts, and mail. App store or ********** for application installs. Pwnplayer for music and uploading via diskaid or SSH. Who needs itunes except for firmware changes?
    x2 same here. I ONLY use itunes to backup/restore/upgrade firmware
    Last edited by dr.stevil; 11-26-2008 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

isnt this infringment on there right to free speech? i would think so.
    16gb iPhone4 black

If I helped you in anyway please hit thank you.

apple likes to control everything

lol

this is awful, i personally can't stand itunes. it does so many trivial things so *** backwards. like when i drag and drop an album dir to the library to import it it will add duplicates if the directory has a playlist file in it. that is just the very tip of the iceberg with itunes though. the whole replace when syncing thing is just beyond me, you'd think it would be easier and more logical to add. hitting the sync button scares me as i'm never sure what it's actually doing.

i paid for the damn phone let me use it how i god damn want.

Quote Originally Posted by f_itunes View Post
    amen to that!

But Apple's position (that the aim of the discussion is about circumventing DRM) is frivolous. It's patently untrue. I can circumvent DRM and still use iTunes. They are completely unrelated. This argument is not only frivolous, it is also logically fallacious. Hopefully the Electronic Frontier Foundation will let Bluwiki know this and encourage them to put the discussion back up.

And yes, this is an infringement on our rights of free speech. And to you scoffers that say our right to free speech is a protection to keep the government from infringing on our rights, who would Apple use if this website ignored their demand? The courts. That's the government. So this most certainly infringes on our rights. I would counter-sue Apple if they tried to make good on their threat. As an American Citizen, I can talk about anything on the internet, even overthrowing the government.

Check out gtkPod for Ubuntu-- does everything iTunes does.

Quote Originally Posted by cricketlang View Post
    whatever. apple just keeps getting worse and worse with thier crap.They just refuse to accept that people may want something different. could you immagine buying a car and having the manufacturer tell you that you cant to anything to the car or take it anywhere else for repairs....even though you bought the car. Apple needs to get over this crap. not likely gonnna happen but these are the things i use in defense when people tell me macs are better than pc's. take your macs and your apple products....and love them...and bow down to what apple tells you. you see mac users arent becoming less and less unique with no chance for diversity (other than the fact they use a mac) everything is so locked down. Apple is literally trying to OWN its customers. I cant really express my real feelings about this whole thing because that would not be appropriate here but just know that apple gets a giant thumbs down and frown from me.

"It just works".......because they are the only ones allowed to make it work THIER way
    In a way, cars used to be the same way. Manufacturers -can- void your warranty if you take your car elsewhere for repairs (especially the expensive fancy racing types, such as my personal favorite, the Viper. ) In fact, it was difficult to do anything to your car until a bill was passed to allow aftermarket upgrades, such as in-dash peripherals for cd-players and mp3-players and the like.

Now the real question is this: If someone was able to get a bill passed for a car, could the same be done for a digital device such as an mp3 player? I am heavy on Xbox-modding, and M$ just laid down another ban-hammer on a lot of people. Unfortunately, not all modding is a bad thing. Some people actually do like playing BACKUP copies of their games, to avoid ruining the actual product. I think that could pose a liable argument that may hold up in courts. Guess we just need to give this time, and wait for someone to step in who is willing to fight hard. Then, we might see companies like Apple and M$ needing to back down.

With that said, I'm glad to hear about Apple at least making an effort to get DRM-Free. But will this mean that you can at least sync your iPod/iPhone with other computers as a "guest"? That's the HUGE advantage I have with my Zune over my iPhone. I can take my Zune and wirelessly sync it with my library, and then go to my friends house, and get music off his computer as a "guest". Re-sync with my library, and not lose any of his stuff. I think if it wasn't for the iPhone at all, I would ditch Apple and stick with the Microsoft Zune. Everything about it, IMO, surpasses the other iPod models (except MAYBE the Touch, which is lacking hard drive space).

Actually you're paying to use the phone. You don't really own it.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

actually there is a free, alternative to iTunes, and it is called sharepod. I talked about it in another post some time ago.

So far the developer has been able to remove media from the ipod touch and iphone, but not been able to upload.

He has been quite succesful on all the other ipods, except for the nano i think it is (the one without the screen).

Check him out: SharePod

Apple can want all they want, but that doesn't mean they are going to get.

There are more of you, then there are more of them.

Oh, and I think there is an iTunes equivalent on Ubuntu... I remember seeing somewhere in the repos.
    Herp a derp a derp a doooo!

Thanks

Default 2G ftw
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    Actually you're paying to use the phone. You don't really own it.
    For the 3G, yes. For those of us who stuck with the 1st gen iPhone? Not so much.

I literally "paid for the damn phone" and own it outright, no subsidy here.
    Itís sad that a family can be torn apart by something as simple as a pack of wild dogs.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Other than the fact that iTunes is slow as hell and ugly as all get out...it works for what I need it for. Restoring.

Hopefully Apple didn't skin all of their apps with the same GUI as iTunes.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by groundedsst View Post
    Looks like they may need to contact these people

they can use the DaVinci virus to take down the system.
    Wheres Angelina "Acid Burn" Jolie in that pic? or was this before she "busted" them on her ibm/mac laptop?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12