+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Early 2.2 Opinions

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    iPhone? More like MyPhone AppleChic's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Early 2.2 Opinions

Editors at MacWorld have begun to review the iPhone OS 2.2 update and are somewhat disappointed to see that certain desired improvements for business functionality have not been made. However, the order in which iPhone owners can now view podcasts is said to be an improvement.

As far as the business features go (and certainly some in this list would be very handy for personal use too), just some of the desired ones not part of the update that MacWorld notes include no on-device data encryption, passwords are limited to four-digit numeric PINs, no ability to synchronize notes or set up calendar items with the same scheduling controls as in Exchange and cut and paste. MacWorld even goes as far to say that since the 2.2 update does not accommodate more of the needs of the business community that the BlackBerry Storm has “a real chance to push the iPhone out of the enterprise, at least as a standard sanctioned device.”

Although the 2.2 update does not change much as far as business needs go, there are two main User Interface changes that MacWorld pinpoints. One is on the Safari browser - it now has a small search box on the same row as its URL box. MacWorld calls this design change “inelegant.” However, a welcome UI change according to MacWorld is that there is now a preference setting to turn off or on the iPhone's autocorrect feature when a user types. In addition to several minimal application changes the other big functional change is the new ability to download podcasts from Apple's iTunes Store while not having to sync via iTunes on the desktop.

Also as far as podcasts go, the older OS used to list podcasts with the newest at the top. Now the podcasts are listed in chronological order, as MacWorld describes, with the “oldest at the top. Which means you can start playback at any episode, and after that episode is finished, the next-most-recent one plays automatically.” This is also a welcome change.

MacWorld says it’s still too early to tell if the update will fix bugs in e-mail and browser operations.

Source: iPhone finally gets its podcasts in order | iPhone Central | Macworld
    iPhone 2.2 update doesn't fix key business flaws | iPhone Central | Macworld
    AppleChic

Thanks

From what i hear 2.2 is pretty impressive as far as fixes on older bugs is concerned but i also hear and have read here that people are discovering NEW bugs. ill update when my new iphone gets here to give my personal opinion
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Green Apple
    Thanks

what about the "emoticons for the Japanese version" thingy?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AppleChic View Post
    MacWorld even goes as far to say that since the 2.2 update does not accommodate more of the needs of the business community that the BlackBerry Storm has “a real chance to push the iPhone out of the enterprise, at least as a standard sanctioned device.”
    This is where Apple better step up & let loose of the "our way only". They may be ahead, but they won't be for long, if other manufactures give the consumer what they want.
    If I can't mod it...I don't want it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cokeman View Post
    This is where Apple better step up & let loose of the "our way only". They may be ahead, but they won't be for long, if other manufactures give the consumer what they want.
    i cannot agree more. i will admit i love the iphone and will be getting mine soon but i have seen MANY friends move over to the storm because of lack of meeting basic customer needs on the iphone side.
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by albior View Post
    what about the "emoticons for the Japanese version" thingy?
    Well you can download unlock from cydia and use them, but in USA (I'm not sure about anyother place) its usless,any other non iphone user gets some strange words lolz

Thanks

Ugh, unless it's just me, I'm not liking 2.2 at all. My phone sometimes won't lock after pushing the power button, and I have to push it a couple of times. Typing has also been kind of slow in some apps, and intelliscreen isn't really working.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Just upgraded today, find everything to be fast and smooth. However, there is one glitch that is annoying me:

Every time I try to delete a webclip off my springboard, I get sent into mobile substrate "Safe Mode." What's the deal with that? I know safe mode is technically a good thing, but I really want to get this webclip off my SB and I can't, no matter how many times I try. I get sent to "Safe Mode" every time.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm not sure but I think my battery lasted longer on 2.1 today did about 20-30 sms, played around on face book, and played some games for about 30 minutes. Battery was down to 60%. Anyone else notice this?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by willryan42 View Post
    Ugh, unless it's just me, I'm not liking 2.2 at all. My phone sometimes won't lock after pushing the power button, and I have to push it a couple of times. Typing has also been kind of slow in some apps, and intelliscreen isn't really working.
    2.2 isn't the problem. Intelliscreen is the source of your issues. I like IS but it's as buggy as an Amazon swamp. I haven't seen safe mode since I decided not to install IS in 2.2.

iPhone? More like MyPhone bubonicbryan's Avatar
    Thanks

After I updated I was unable to download appstore apps. I dowloaded a mobileinstaller for 2.2 off cydia and it works good now.
    iPhizzle

Je5
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cricketlang View Post
    i cannot agree more. i will admit i love the iphone and will be getting mine soon but i have seen MANY friends move over to the storm because of lack of meeting basic customer needs on the iphone side.
    Thats funny because I went with my friend to Verizon on launch date of the Storm and I am going to say I am not impressed the texting is so not user friendly and most of the people I know are disappointed in it and do not like and have already sold it on craigslist..hahah sorry Verizon better think of something else to take us down..!!
    Dont be that guy..!!!

Thanks

Default Two words
    MAIL SEARCH!

WTF apple? I'm mean come on!!

Thanks

I have had my iPhone lock up completely, TWICE, so far after the upgrade to 2.2...once this morning when my alarm was going off...it wouldn't do anything...i have to force it to power off...second time i recieved an txt msg and it just locked up...again, had to force it to power off...ALSO it went into "SAFE MODE", TWICE, which i have NEVER SEEN on any prior firmware versions...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Treeml View Post
    MAIL SEARCH!

WTF apple? I'm mean come on!!
    SERIOUSLY! I don't want to look back a few years for an email loading 50 messages at a time!!

The blackberry storm is REALLY nice.
    I just heard its laggy and is annoying because of all the different menus.

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Je5 View Post
    Thats funny because I went with my friend to Verizon on launch date of the Storm and I am going to say I am not impressed the texting is so not user friendly and most of the people I know are disappointed in it and do not like and have already sold it on craigslist..hahah sorry Verizon better think of something else to take us down..!!
    I wish the iphone was on Verizon...... oh well maybe someday....

Thanks

apple is stuck with that "We Run it" mentality, which will probably equal being screwed on our side, as personal consumers. Apple came out strong with a product that the market really wasnt ready for, and the hardware is AMAZING. I mean, name one other phone that is as clean and smooth as the iphone in terms of menu, navigation, and the general operation of the touch screen.

But it just amazes me by if you are snart enough to create this killer piece of hardware, why are some of the most basic functions of an internet device, mp3/mp4 player, and cellphone missing?

I agree 150% of about a mail search! Thank god i use GMail, but i understand the headache of logging in through safari to find one message.

How abotu SMS forwarding? Deleting individual messages? A better way to select multiple recipients? I use bulk SMS to keep in touch with my team for work

And MMS is a dead issue, ill pass that

Can we get those bluetooth profiles? I mean, I cant recall ever seeing a phone that cost more than $50 that can use a bluetooth headset, but I can't send you a picture through bluetooth. LOL, AND THAT SAME PHONE DOESNT SUPPORT MMS!!! Even basic MP3 phones let you at least use bluetooth for BT Headphones or stereos in cars!

What about a Wireless Sync?

Or sending contacts as an SMS? Why do i have to go back and forth remembering a phone number and putting it into a text instead of being able to just send the contact as an SMS?

The iphone has this Taboo name in the biz world because most people see it and they say "Wow, how did that guy expense that when everyone else has blackberry" and its true. iPhone sucks for business apps, and apple is just playing catch up. Look at it like this. How many firmware updates did it take to look at office documents?

Check craigslist and look at the flood of people who are ditching iphones for the storm. Blackberry knows how to build a phone for business, apple is playing catch up

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

im not sure why the buzz for the blackberry, it doesnt even have wifi.

Thanks

yup

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

blackberry + no wifi = LOSE

+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast