Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Save your custom ringtones with iTunes 7.4

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,276 Times in 652 Posts

Default Save your custom ringtones with iTunes 7.4
    from wally_wall

--------------------------------------

Hello everyone,

With the new release of iRingtoner and iToner, these programs allow you to add ringtones to your iPhone without any hacking (jailbreaking). However, you will notice once you install iTunes 7.4 that your ringtones are gone now.

Well, with iRingtoner (and possibly iToner, but I do not know how their program works internally), it basically does the same thing iTunes 7.4 does to put ringtones on the iPhone, therefore iTunes 7.4 overwrites the configuration files that iRingtoner (and possibly iToner) create.

Well, thankfully if you want to stick with your own ringtones and not pay for them, you can just run iRingtoner every time after you sync and it will restore your ringtones without having to re-upload them. Just open up the program and close it. That's it.

Of course when you go to sync again, your ringtones will be lost once again.

To fix this, follow these instructions:

1. Open up iTunes 7.4
    2. Click Ringtones Tab under your iPhone.
    3. Uncheck the 'Sync Ringtones' box.
    4. Exit iTunes
    5. Run iRingtoner.
    6. Close iRingtoner.
    7. Restart your phone.

Now all your ringtones should be back.

Now everytime you open iTunes, it won't sync your "iTunes Ringtones" and it will keep your custom free ringtones.

Now, just to let you know, you should only have to do this once as long as you don't sync Ringtones using iTunes, and also, you can't have the best of both worlds, so it seems your either stuck using your custom ringtones using iRingtoner or iToner, OR you can go the iTunes Ringtones route.

Now this won't effect people who have hacked their phone copying the ringtones to the /var/root/Library/Ringtones directory. (I haven't tested it, but it's been reported to work by other modmyi users.)

Hopefully these instructions are easy to understand and will help everyone out!

Of course there are some users that say this doesn't work and others that say it does work (including myself.) I guess that's just the nature of the beast. Weird.

Well, that /var/root/Library/Ringtones does work for me. Both Ringtones (mac) and iToner (mac) did not work after an iTunes Sync (with the Ringtones tab unchecked) the songs would be gone.

Use CyberDuck

Quote Originally Posted by PraetorianXI View Post
    Well, that /var/root/Library/Ringtones does work for me. Both Ringtones (mac) and iToner (mac) did not work after an iTunes Sync (with the Ringtones tab unchecked) the songs would be gone.

Use CyberDuck
    what's cyberduck? Will it fix all these stupid ringtone problems?

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,808 Times in 1,228 Posts

CyberDuck is a free OS X FTP program.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

An advance mac ftp client app.

I Used it to install ROMs in the iPhone and now Ringtones.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/so-nice/h...one-292655.php

Same procedure, just go to: /var/root/Library/

Make a Ringtones folder and drag your ringtone files to it. It is iTunes Proof, and they show in your iPhone
    Last edited by PraetorianXI; 09-06-2007 at 06:06 PM.

it says:
    Preparation
    • Go to the Installer in your iPhone and install these packages in this order: BSD Subsystem and OpenSSH.
    • Leave the installer by clicking on the home button.

How do you do that?

uhhh... have you used the Installer.app?

no, I never used the installer app

all you have to do is just uncheck the "Sync ringtones" box and it'll let you keep all your ringtones.

easy as that.

ok, I have installer app installed. But I don't see SSH as a package in it. How can I install now SSH?

Just shitz'n'giggles, I purchased a green day song in the iTunes Store, "boulevard of broken dreams" - and they also show it with a bell logo next to it showing that the song is able to be ringtone converted - in Steve's Keynote- anyway- I don't see that bell logo anywhere. What a waste! Any clues? What's going on?

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,808 Times in 1,228 Posts

As has been answered many times, he said it would be available later this month.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Quote Originally Posted by iphoneroeth View Post
    ok, I have installer app installed. But I don't see SSH as a package in it. How can I install now SSH?
    Install the Community Sources 2.3 first.

Hey, here's a way to add ringtones to iTunes yourself. Anyone try it yet? I wonder if you can just rename a mp3 file? I mean, does any software actually rely on the extention to be correct now-a-days? Anyways, here's the link I found.

http://www.tuaw.com/2007/09/07/creat...ble-ringtones/

16. The Following User Says Thank You to wally_wall For This Useful Post:

iphoneroeth (09-07-2007)

So what you guys are saying is that, after you upgrade your iTunes to new version, every time you Sync it erases all your mods?
    Well i just read what other people did and i think i will be fine. Just by not checking the ring tone thing.
    Last edited by xplod4202; 09-07-2007 at 12:58 PM.

Sweet!!! This worked great for me. I didn't try any purchased songs yet though. Just follow the directions and it's that simple. Mac users keep in mind, you can't just change the file extension in the finder. You've got to select the file and then go into Get Info and change it there.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wally_wall View Post
    Hey, here's a way to add ringtones to iTunes yourself. Anyone try it yet? I wonder if you can just rename a mp3 file? I mean, does any software actually rely on the extention to be correct now-a-days? Anyways, here's the link I found.

http://www.tuaw.com/2007/09/07/creat...ble-ringtones/
    i've been trying this method it doesn't seam to be working for me

thanks, got SSH installed.
    now I could change my SMS ringtone with cyberduck. Works great.

here is another free app that can put ringtones into the iPhone, works great and compatible with iTunes 7.4. Enjoy.http://www.cocoadex.com/Ringtones_1.1.dmg

The process I had to use on the Mac was ctrl-click the song right in iTunes, 'reveal in finder' and then change the filename extension there. The part of the instructions that say to just double-click the renamed file didn't work for me. The ringtone would not add to the iTunes library.

The file I used was a track that I first edited in Soundtrack Pro and then converted back to AAC via iTunes. That resulting file was the one that I just changed the extension for - and it worked! Also worthy of note, my iPhone is completely stock - I've done no modding at this point and have not tried to add my own ringtones yet in any other way.

Once I'd gotten the file ext changed I switched over to iTunes and the song just appeared in the list under the ringtones tab.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast