+ Reply
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Firmware 2.2 Released

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
my phone isnt jailbroken as of right now. Ive been waiting for this firmware to do it. Can i upgrade the firmware and when PwnageTool come out for 2.2 I
    Green Apple
    Thanks
    my phone isnt jailbroken as of right now. Ive been waiting for this firmware to do it. Can i upgrade the firmware and when PwnageTool come out for 2.2 I still jailbreak it. I think I can. I read somewhere u wont be able to soft unlock. they talking about for another carrier? Are they saying tis becase of the update to the baseband?
    Bought the Iphone 3g on Friday jailbroke it on Monday!!!

Black IPhone 3g Jailbroken.

My iPhone is a Part of Me kadinh's Avatar
    Thanks

one thing that I noticed about the 2.2 fw is now the update all function is back in the app store. I for one missed this and like that it is back. My phone is still on 2.1 and JB but I upgraded my wife's phone to 2.2 last night and I must admit it feels more respnsive and quicker. I might have to upgrade once the jailbreak comes out for it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone andygev35's Avatar
    Thanks

I've been around since 1.0.1, I don't post often, but this WAS a painful read... My comment is this: Having been through ALL of the previous FW's, 2.2 is by FAR the smoothest, most responsive, least laggy FW to date, and is worthy of the upgrade for that reason alone.

Yes, even better than the beloved 1.1.4...
    Last edited by andygev35; 11-22-2008 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

you know after a time of playing with computer you get to the point of asking yourself "why update"?

I'm happy the way it works, what's the point?

"Oh Security issues", and "these great NEW features", and "We removed some things..."

Not saying that they removed anything, but sometime features that we know and love are no longer there.

Kinda like certain XP features that were great that didn't exist in the first incarnation of Vista.

The boy at the ATT store made this big deal about updating. Like it was some glorious function that was absolutely integral to selling me this phone.

"You have automatic updates!". Well that's just ducky, i've been using cell phones since 1997 that have been running on the most basic of technology without updating ever...

(unless you count my Moto where technically I suppose you could count that as a custom update.)

The point is, is that updating anything has become nothing more then a sales technique making the consumer think that you are getting something for nothing.

The benevolent Apple is updating you for FREE! And looky here: A NEW feature!

Honestly I've turned off all of my updates for just about everything, and can't see myself going to all the trouble to backup all my apps, backup all my settings, reflashing everything, restoring, yadda yadda yadda, just so I can have the luxury of "Street Views".

@aonavy:

who knows but the wonderous Dev Team! Err on the side of caution. Let the experts figure it out first before you do ANYTHING!

Don't update, and just wait.

If what they say about the baseband is true, then what might be the case is that in case you do upgrade, and jailbreaking 2.2 proves to be more of a task, you might not be able to downgrade back anytime soon or at all.

So just wait.

OR don't upgrade at all until 2.3! That's probably what I will do. Make it worth my while.
    Herp a derp a derp a doooo!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Farrizx's Avatar
    Thanks

So i just want to make sure, I have a first gen iPhone, so if i just use the update thing, the unlock and activation will stay, and the epc.tmobile.com will still work right? I dont mind not have a jailbreak cause i dont really use jailbreak anyways. So anyone do this already and everything works?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

2.2 is super smooth for me compared to all 3g firmwares so far

iPhone? More like MyPhone wgm214's Avatar
    Thanks

Alright I have a few questions b4 updating..(btw im legit at&t user, jailbroken on 2.1)
    1.is quickgold dead? any word from the developer on what hes gonna do
    2.Whos numeric batteries have stayed? I currently have that set via sbsettings
    3.Did mobileinstallation break when u guys updated, b4 all of u tell me off, i dont use cracked apps, i actually have some of my cydia apps synced to itunes...see the screenshot..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Firmware 2.2 Released-picture-2.png  
    Wanna-be coder/iphone user since '08

Thanks

Question:

Once 2.2 is officially cracked and so on, how will that affect the people who choose not to upgrade?

If i remember correctly there was something that made mention that 2.1 apps wont work with 1.x apps, or vice versa.

Will that mean that the new apps coming out might not be compatible with the old f/w of 2.2?
    Herp a derp a derp a doooo!

Thanks

My numeric battery indicator stayed in the StatusBar after updating from 2.1 to 2.2 (3G)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to andygev35 For This Useful Post:

wgm214 (11-22-2008)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boe_dye View Post
    Question:

Once 2.2 is officially cracked and so on, how will that affect the people who choose not to upgrade?

If i remember correctly there was something that made mention that 2.1 apps wont work with 1.x apps, or vice versa.

Will that mean that the new apps coming out might not be compatible with the old f/w of 2.2?

Lemme see if I can explain this properly. The big difference between the 1.x firmwares and the 2.x firmwares is where all of the files are located. The entire file system was moved around. This meant that all of the previous 1.x firmware programs were unable to work until they optimized for the change. It was a lot of work for some, and in some cases, not worth the time. Apple made this change for the AppStore. I don't believe we will see a big change like that again on the iPhone, and if we do, it won't be for a long while. So right now, I can't imagine any updates would completely render your 3rd party apps useless. And if some don't work here and there, I don't think it would be difficult for the developers to fix them.

Edit: Re-read your post, not sure if you meant they worked on 2.0 but not 2.1, or what. I just woke up, and I think i'm confusing myself in a heated debate (with myself) to decide how you meant your question. :P
    Last edited by LeeDude; 11-22-2008 at 09:49 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeDude For This Useful Post:

boe_dye (11-22-2008)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    i remember there was a "program" that could be installed to open a new window when in safari... does 2.2 incorporate any of this or know where to get that program from?

Thanks

if i purchase my iphone 3g today or tomorrow will it have me update it automatically?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ItsCyrious View Post
    if i purchase my iphone 3g today or tomorrow will it have me update it automatically?
    Probably not. I can't see someone sitting around at the Apple store or AT&T opening every single sealed iPhone that is running 2.1 and update each one of them to 2.2 then sealing them back up to sell. So odds are there's still a bunch of 2.1 software iPhones that need to be sold off before they get and start selling 2.2's.

Thanks

^Ok, thanks for letting me know....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeeDude View Post
    Lemme see if I can explain this properly. The big difference between the 1.x firmwares and the 2.x firmwares is where all of the files are located. The entire file system was moved around. This meant that all of the previous 1.x firmware programs were unable to work until they optimized for the change.
    That is not correct.

With minor exceptions, from 1.x to 2.x files remained in the same place.
    There are always a few changes in every new firmware but that usually don't break regular apps.

What caused apps written for 1.x not to work on 2.x were changes to some APIs, a new linkage and signature (not required on 1.x)

In the 2.x series of firmware, apps written for fw 2.0 using the "official" API should continue to work.
    Apple can not change the existing public API.
    Apple can extend the API but can not change what was released in 2.0.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to buzios For This Useful Post:

boe_dye (11-22-2008)

Thanks

Painful, simply painful.

And Apple can do whatever they want, they've proven that already.
    Last edited by Slimz; 11-22-2008 at 10:48 AM.

Thanks

PUSHER "Light Jailbreak" 2.2 - Pusher: Your 2.2 jailbreak - RiP Dev

Pusher is a tool that installs world-famous Installer.app that gives access to numerous award-winning tools for the iPhone and allows you to use best of both App Store and Installer without voiding your phone's guarantee.

Thanks

Have I just gotten used to it, or has anyone else noticed the absence of the abominal yellowish tinge?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Just checking...
    Just to make sure, I am using a 3G that's jail broken and also on USA T-Mobile with a turbo sim. I know that if I upgrade to 2.2 I wont be able to jail brake it yet but does anyone know for sure if my Phone will still work on T-Mobile with the turbo sim? I'm pretty sure it will but I'd like to make sure before I do it.

Thanks

On FW 2.2 that is...