+ Reply
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone MMS Apple Allowed. Could it be True?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Uh well um. Better extremely late than never? The lack off MMS has been one of the biggest complaints about the iPhone since day one way back in 2007. Who
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,273 Times in 652 Posts

Default iPhone MMS Apple Allowed. Could it be True?

Uh well um. Better extremely late than never? The lack off MMS has been one of the biggest complaints about the iPhone since day one way back in 2007. Who is going to bring MMS to the masses? Swirly MMS 1.2 already has via Cydia but what about all those poor fools that haven't jailbroken yet? While Apple is leaving its users hanging in the wind Mobispine is working hard to create a MMS app that Apple will allow out the door.

The other day the rumor initially broke on MacWorld that Swedish-Finnish carrier Telia is on the verge (read with in the next two months) of pushing their MMS app out the door and into the eager hands of people subscribed to their cellular network. That's all well and good that someone is getting MMS without jailbreaking but leaves most the world with out.

An update hit Engadget today that gives those not on Telia some hope! It turns out the MMS app that was originally reported to be developed by Telia is actually being developed by a third party developer called Mobispine. Mobispine has plans for MMS on a much broader scope. According to their press release Mobispine CEO Dusyant Patel says that “Mobispine continues its strong track record of innovation and is proud to unveil the first true MMS service for iPhones. We are confident that global operators will find Mobispine’s MMS service for iPhone easy-to-use and profitable.”

MMS users can only hope that Mobispine's dream of carrier backed MMS on iPhone's everywhere will come true and make it through Apple's approval process - it's pretty evident that Apple isn't going to create MMS on the iPhone themselves.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cody Overcash For This Useful Post:

apoc (11-20-2008), terranova88 (11-20-2008)

Thanks

OMG!! Can it be TRUE??!!

LOL, cant wait for this app, FINALLY MMS!!!
    Last edited by xGoOcHx; 11-20-2008 at 02:38 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

apple wont approve..

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bscott05 For This Useful Post:

creolesoul (11-24-2008)

Thanks

Well, the only reason Apple would approve this is because this is not really MMS per say. Mobispine is running their own 'MMS' server. So you basically get an app on your iPhone that looks like MMS, but the 'MMS' that you send goes to the Mobispine servers, and from there on to a participating carrier, and then only on to the receiver. What if your carrier CAN do MMS, but does not want to participate in the Mobispine venture. Not true MMS.

SwirlyMMS is still the only *REAL* native MMS app, albeit only for jailbroken phones, but hey, get with it & jailbreak!
    Last edited by jrentzke; 11-20-2008 at 03:43 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone matt.superman's Avatar
    Thanks

Well I am VERY Excited about this. Finally people on AT&T can(hopefully) have MMS without losing any other features(Visual Voicemail) I cant wait. YAY. Hopefully its real mms not some flutter bull$h!t.
    You must submit to testing before I can assist you.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Still baffles me why MMS is not part of the package. Maybe Steve Jobs has a lacky that does his texting for him so he doesn't understand the need for it. then again maybe he is using a bb.

Thanks

Not sure if it's the "app" mentioned in the article but I am using my iPhone 3G on Telia Sweden's service and received a MMS two days ago. What happened was that Telia sent me an SMS with a password as well as a link to where I could retrieve the MMS. Type in the password and your MMS shows up. In my case, it was a photo of a couple of cats I am getting from a friend which I was then able to save in my iPhone's Photo library. So it really isn't an app that you install on your phone, just a link to a server (Mobispines?) where you can get the MMS. Still, better than nothing.

Also, when you get the SMS telling you that you have an MMS, the message states: "You have received an MMS from (phone #). Go to Telia Visa MMS Mobilt Tjänster - Telia.se in order to play it (show it). Your code is ______. Your MMS will be saved for 10 days.

So it looks like it is not using Mobispine's servers but Telia's instead.

Retired Moderator A Retired Mod's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bruinsrme View Post
    Still baffles me why MMS is not part of the package. Maybe Steve Jobs has a lacky that does his texting for him so he doesn't understand the need for it. then again maybe he is using a bb.
    LMFAO.....

It sure would be nice to have MMS.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Will it run in the background?
    If i'm not mistaken. Apple won't allow official apps to run as a service so how could this be useful unless Apple makes an exception for this application. Would we have to check to see if we received an MMS manually? We'll have to wait and see. Still wish AT&T would just stop blocking MMS for us!

iPhone? More like MyPhone iphoneroeth's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CD65 View Post
    Not sure if it's the "app" mentioned in the article but I am using my iPhone 3G on Telia Sweden's service and received a MMS two days ago. What happened was that Telia sent me an SMS with a password as well as a link to where I could retrieve the MMS. Type in the password and your MMS shows up. In my case, it was a photo of a couple of cats I am getting from a friend which I was then able to save in my iPhone's Photo library. So it really isn't an app that you install on your phone, just a link to a server (Mobispines?) where you can get the MMS. Still, better than nothing.

Also, when you get the SMS telling you that you have an MMS, the message states: "You have received an MMS from (phone #). Go to Telia Visa MMS Mobilt Tjänster - Telia.se in order to play it (show it). Your code is ______. Your MMS will be saved for 10 days.

So it looks like it is not using Mobispine's servers but Telia's instead.
    well, that SMS to pick up MMS has worked since day one in the USA! However, that is not MMS!

Livin the iPhone Life billchase2's Avatar
    Thanks

it'd be nice... but i'll believe it when i see it.
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

Thanks

if this is true; we must drink as it is a great day for mms

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bruinsrme View Post
    Apple can't bulls**t anyone into believing they invented it, so they simply pretend it doesn't actually exist.

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks

Anything is better than nothing......... but used other programs that kinda do the same thing as this one does or will do and half of the time other cell phones don't get your text messages....

So I am sure if they come out with this most won't be happy with it 100%

iPhone? More like MyPhone knowtheobscure's Avatar
    Thanks

Bleh....Apple is not going to approve any kind of MMS app for the U.S. UNLESS they or AT&T create it, PERIOD.
    All is... so Accept and Just Be

Green Apple
    Thanks

App could be in the making. However, AT&T has to support it. Right now, all iPhone registered on AT&T has MMS feature physically blocked/removed. As a result, even with the app, MMS might not work due to network restrictions.

Perhaps AT&T would lift the block once the app is released? Here's to wishful thinking

Thanks

Unfortunately, I'll believe it when I see it.

Reako

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Yeah, I'm not holding my breath. If MMS is released for the iPhone, they'd have to update everyone's contracts and add the features in to the billing website. It's just not going to happen without ATT cooperation.

Not to mention, it won't make it past the appstore approval process in the USA.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iphoneroeth View Post
    well, that SMS to pick up MMS has worked since day one in the USA! However, that is not MMS!
    No argument here. I guess I just don't get enough MMS messages to notice that the service was there from the beginning in Sweden as well.

Thanks

There's a story on AppleInsider that states that Apple has approved this MMS app for what looks like the Swedish provider Telia and possibly a few other regional providers, but NOT in the US. So, don't hold your breath.

+ Reply
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast