Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jailbroken? DON'T upgrade to 2.2 when it hits.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,807 Times in 1,226 Posts

Default Jailbroken? DON'T upgrade to 2.2 when it hits.

The iPhone Dev Team (yup, they're still around) has been a bit quiet of late, noses to the grind stone and fingers typing speedily into their respective Terminals... seeking a 3G iPhone software unlock. While they have made progress (running unsigned code on the 3G baseband, among others), a software unlock for the 3G has yet remained elusive.

With the 2.2 firmware being released soon, Apple again has set things in the update to nix the jailbreak-ability of it. The best thing, as always, for jailbreakers is to WAIT UNTIL ITS SAFE TO UPGRADE, then use the guide which we'll pop out to do so. This has typically been within days, sometimes hours, of the new firmware release.

The dev team warns:

Now for something a bit more serious, we’ve explained about the pros and cons of applying Apple’s updates in the past and we’ve warned against the immediate installation of these updates without knowing what they do to your device.

This is indeed true of the iPhone 3G’s upcoming 2.2 release. Installing 2.2 straight away on the iPhone 3G using the iTunes auto-updater could affect your chances of any software unlock in the near future (should one be found and released), so when you see an update in iTunes await our instructions first!

Please don’t blindly install the update and then complain about it later ;-)
    Thanks for the work, dev team, and to all you hundreds of thousand of jailbreakers - and those waiting for 3G software unlocks - keep on keepin on.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Kyle Matthews For This Useful Post:

bookem15 (11-17-2008), CaptainChaos (11-17-2008), CaryDude (11-21-2008), ceelo2008 (11-17-2008), Dash-2 (11-18-2008), estes123 (11-17-2008), evilp8ntballer7 (11-17-2008), HITCH (11-20-2008), mimiosusume (11-17-2008), zues79 (11-18-2008)

Default cant wait
    I dont think there is going to be a huge rush to upgrade. Due to the fact Apple still has not released what everyone is looking for.

BT access, MMS, Flash, Push, and much more.

Maybe turn by turn would be cool but as of yet no person has seen this yet.

Good luck Apple.

Its all about customer service right? psst. listen to the forums!
    Last edited by phoenixfire425; 11-17-2008 at 12:45 PM. Reason: added content
    if (youTryToBeSmarter)
    {
    i.WillTryToBeNicer();
    }
    //oh here let me translate for you to something that is easier to understand!
    If youTryToBeSmarter Then
    i.WillTryToBeNicer()
    End If

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

I can see the numerous threads now:

"Help!! I upgraded to 2.2 and now my phone won't jailbreak!!!"

"I accidentally upgraded in iTunes and lost all of my homebrews. How can I get them back?"

"Will this version of Pwnage work on windows?"

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post

"I accidentally upgraded in iTunes and lost all of my homebrews. How can I get them back?"

Hey you for got one.
    "Can I unlock the 3g with 2.2"
    if (youTryToBeSmarter)
    {
    i.WillTryToBeNicer();
    }
    i.WillTryToBeNicer()
    End If

7. The Following User Says Thank You to phoenixfire425 For This Useful Post:

CaptainChaos (11-17-2008)

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixfire425 View Post
    Hey you for got one.
    hahaha, oh yes. i'm sure we'll see all of this far too soon.
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Hey you for got one.
    Lmao Nice save.

I can't wait to see how long the devs take to own the new firmware.

Haha this is so true. Many of my friends that I have talked into the iPhone pester me all the time when they "mess" something up unkowningly. I know I will be out there telling them to hold off.

Personally I found my phone was experiencing too many delays on the fido network when it was Jailbroken. So I went back to defaults. But I will definately look into it when 2.2 is Jailbroken.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    glad I seen this thread. Ive been waiting to upgrade..then jailbreak. good thing
    Bought the Iphone 3g on Friday jailbroke it on Monday!!!

Black IPhone 3g Jailbroken.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

The beta versions of the 2.2 firmware are already jailbroken. The dev team posted a video of this a couple weeks ago. I would venture a guess and say an updated quickpwn/pwnage tool will be released within 24-48 hours of the public release of 2.2.

Default Yeah
    Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    The beta versions of the 2.2 firmware are already jailbroken. The dev team posted a video of this a couple weeks ago. I would venture a guess and say an updated quickpwn/pwnage tool will be released within 24-48 hours of the public release of 2.2.

I was gonna say...didnt we know the 2.2 beta was jailbroken a while ago. i think all this article is saying is wait until the dev team makes it easy as cake to do so that there are as little problems possible with this one. and about the 3g unlock there are already people asking those questions before the 2.2 firmware has even been released. People never surprise me any more. hahaha
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Lmao Nice save.

I can't wait to see how long the devs take to own the new firmware.
    someone should start a betting pool...

i'm thinking 2 days

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    +1, they should only have to check the final release and run tests, as long as everything is good we should see it soon after it is released.

......epic

Thanks

I dont think there is going to be a huge rush to upgrade. Due to the fact Apple still has not released what everyone is looking for.

I actually couldn't care less about any of these. But my Push email does seem to work fine right now.

I think the "Push" comment is in reference to the Push for applications so that developers can utilize it. My understand was apple was trying to come up with a better solution then "active stink". I think I remember them saying they were trying to develop a better push solution (back end driven) more like blackberry so that it wouldn't kill your battery so quickly.
    If i say something stupid I apologize. If i say something smart: "RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH".
    And if i help you, please hit the Thanks!

although the 2.2 is jailbroken , maybe the baseband gets updated and cant unlock, none the less, expect the :

"can i downgrade 2.2 to 2.1?"
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

ill wait since there arent any new features that are wirth while but i could really care less since im on ATT and could care les about an unlock

2.1 is best right now i think stay on 2.1 till an absolute reson to upgrade is in order we wont even know if the apps or other programs will work with it yet

Default Nice
    Quote Originally Posted by cartman13 View Post
    I think the "Push" comment is in reference to the Push for applications so that developers can utilize it. My understand was apple was trying to come up with a better solution then "active stink". I think I remember them saying they were trying to develop a better push solution (back end driven) more like blackberry so that it wouldn't kill your battery so quickly.

That would truly be amazing....especially for freakin apple to release. hahaha
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Maybe turn by turn would be cool but as of yet no person has seen this yet.

Good luck Apple.

Its all about customer service right? psst. listen to the forums!
    Quote Originally Posted by cartman13 View Post

thats exactly what i was talking about

haha "active stink".

The only think i would like to also see is an "update all" in the app store on the device. that would be nice and maybe a boost in the bluetooth quality and volume. after having three different BT ear pieces the volume and quality is less the what i had expected
    if (youTryToBeSmarter)
    {
    i.WillTryToBeNicer();
    }
    i.WillTryToBeNicer()
    End If

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast