Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New Google Voice Search App for iPhone

Default New Google Voice Search App for iPhone

Google researchers have added sophisticated voice recognition technology, adept at understanding human speech, to the company’s search software for the Apple iPhone. Google is expected to introduce a free application as early as today and experts say it could almost eliminate the need for the keyboard entirely.

New York Times' John Markoff writes, “The service can be used to get restaurant recommendations and driving directions, look up contacts in the iPhone’s address book or just settle arguments in bars. The query “What is the best pizza restaurant in Noe Valley?” returns a list of three restaurants in that San Francisco neighborhood, each with starred reviews from Google users and links to click for phone numbers and directions.”

The query results will turn up in just seconds on a fast wireless network, and will take of advantage of features that let the iPhone determine its location. The voice recognition quality is supposed to be superb. Systems that can recognize any phrase said by almost anyone have recently started making their way into commercial products, and the new Google app is supposedly one of these.

Raj Reddy, an artificial intelligence researcher at Carnegie Mellon University, says, “It’s important to understand that machine recognition will never be perfect, the question is, How close can they come to human performance?” Mr. Reddy continues “Whatever they introduce now, it will greatly increase in accuracy in three or six months.”

Furthermore, the new application also takes advantage of the iPhone's built-in accelerometer to determine how users hold the handset. It will only go into "listen mode" when it seems you've raised the phone to your ear, and this is good because it will reduce unintentional queries.

While experts say the Google app will definitely make its way into other phones, it is first being introduced with the iPhone.

Sounds awesome! Whoever downloads it, let us know how well it works.

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/14/te...in&oref=slogin
    AppleChic

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AppleChic For This Useful Post:

andypropaganda (11-15-2008), imagine engine (11-15-2008), yakface (11-14-2008)

First - Cant wait to try it

4. The Following User Says Thank You to leer100 For This Useful Post:

yakface (11-14-2008)

any name on this app? I want to be able to keep an eye out for it!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to pokefan For This Useful Post:

yakface (11-14-2008)

sounds cool
    VISTA SUCKS!! MACS PWWWWN!!!!!!!!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to spazit101 For This Useful Post:

yakface (11-14-2008)

Its called "Say Who" dialier, and even though its slow on my 1st generation phone, its amazing how it can understand me. Voice recognition has never worked for me before. But with this app, its no problem.

My only issue is that it takes so long to load, and then another couple of seconds to find the name. But at least its accurate.

Also, its been out for a few days now.
    Last edited by knowtheobscure; 11-14-2008 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Addition
    All is... so Accept and Just Be

10. The Following User Says Thank You to knowtheobscure For This Useful Post:

yakface (11-14-2008)

Very interesting application.

I think there's a difference between these two.
    That one finds Contact on your list.
    This app searches Google to find answers for your questions.
    Last edited by koompi; 11-14-2008 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

12. The Following User Says Thank You to koompi For This Useful Post:

yakface (11-14-2008)

Default Fail!
    Quote Originally Posted by knowtheobscure View Post
    Its called "Say Who" dialier, and even though its slow on my 1st generation phone, its amazing how it can understand me. Voice recognition has never worked for me before. But with this app, its no problem.

My only issue is that it takes so long to load, and then another couple of seconds to find the name. But at least its accurate.

Not at all the app they are talking about.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Dzazter For This Useful Post:

yakface (11-14-2008)

Its called "Say Who" dialier
    Incorrect. The Google app that does this is not out yet.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Nukie For This Useful Post:

yakface (11-14-2008)

There are two apps.

One is called "Say Who"; the other is called "Say Where"

Nevermind... seems like this particular app is a bit more sophisticated. My bad.
    Last edited by knowtheobscure; 11-14-2008 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    All is... so Accept and Just Be

18. The Following User Says Thank You to knowtheobscure For This Useful Post:

yakface (11-14-2008)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

This sounds awesome. I'm happy that Google loves the iPhone... I really hope they continue to throw lots of effort into developing amazing apps!
    If my post was helpful to you, hit the thanks button!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to ASar08 For This Useful Post:

yakface (11-14-2008)

@yamir, of course a lot of the news is going to be duplicate that's what happens when you have popular content with people competing for the same stuff. As far as this thread goes, it's getting OT fast. Some of us are actually interested in what's going on here could you please go bicker and criticize else where!

Sorry, rant over

Edit Poseidon: Thanks! I "cleaned" up this thread a little
    Last edited by Poseidon79; 11-14-2008 at 01:01 PM.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pokefan For This Useful Post:

cricketlang (11-14-2008), Poseidon79 (11-14-2008)

awesome! i'm definitely looking forward to trying this out.
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

My iPhone is a Part of Me JAG2621's Avatar
    Thanks

I do not think Say Who is the program they are talking about. Say Who has been out awhile. They are saying this is coming out today or tomorrow!
    If anything was usefull a thanks would be great!

Thanks

It appears that the Google Mobile App released back on 28 August 2008 is about to be updated to include the voice recognition software.

I didn't have the Google Mobile App until after visiting the linked site, so I thought I was about to get the new functionality. I guess they put the info up prior to the app update.
    Last edited by BogeyJH; 11-14-2008 at 01:29 PM.
    There are 10 types of people in the world...
    ...those that understand binary and those that have friends.

iMac (2.8 GHz, 4GB, OS X 10.5.8) | iPhone 3G (16GB, White)
    | iPod Touch 8GB

First off about this posting stuff thats on other sites....its NEWS!!! last time i checked when i turned on the TV there were MULTIPLE news stations covering the SAME story. wow..who would have thought of such a thing. Some of us are faithful to this site and come here for our news. If you prefer to go somewhere else then get lost buddy.

About this app though this is really cool. one more great thing that google is giving us even though they have thier own OS now for mobile phones. Now if you want my opinion that makes Google a lot more of a respectable company in my eyes. And from what i see this app is pretty amazing too and FREE. GO GOOGLE!!!!
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Thanks bogey!! I've downloaded it now just waiting for the update!!

I'm pretty sure this app is just gonna be an updated google mobile..

Reako

Quote Originally Posted by cricketlang View Post
    one more great thing that google is giving us even though they have thier own OS now for mobile phones. Now if you want my opinion that makes Google a lot more of a respectable company in my eyes. And from what i see this app is pretty amazing too and FREE. GO GOOGLE!!!!
    I agree 100% cricket! I don't think Google gives a $h*t what platform they're on they just want their hands in as many venues and applications as possible! Which is great for us consumers!!

30. The Following User Says Thank You to pokefan For This Useful Post:

cricketlang (11-14-2008)

I effs with google lol

Are you kidding "knowtheobscure"
    Its not Say Who, or Say Where dialer by Excuse Me Services, Inc.
    Its not even available yet.

Get the facts before looking like an idiot!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast