Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T acquires Wayport's WiFi hotspots

Default AT&T acquires Wayport's WiFi hotspots

AT&T has acquired WiFi provider Wayport for $275 million in cash. This adds thousands of new wireless hotspots to the company's network … and the best part is that it was recently opened to free access by iPhone users!

AT&T now has 20,000 access points in the US and 80,000 internationally (however, these figures also include roaming locations run by partner networks). Just a few of Wayport's network includes hotspots at McDonalds, Four Seasons hotels, HealthSouth, and Sun Healthcare locations adding to AT&T’s list of major hotspots that include Starbucks, Barnes and Noble book stores, and many major airports across the country. AT&T has a interactive new map up of their WiFi hot spots.

AT&T had been working with Wayport on a contractual basis to run its existing WiFi network, but representatives say the acquisition will allow it to expand its capabilities as it brings all management of WiFi infrastructure in house.

The acquisition along with the announcement of a tethering plan, will give iPhone users a lot more options to connect, similar to the plan AT&T already has in place for its Blackberry subscribers.

Source: AppleInsider | AT&T acquires Wayport's WiFi hotspots
    Last edited by AppleChic; 11-08-2008 at 10:52 AM.
    AppleChic

do you need to login with your AT&T number or what? cuhs i have T-Mobile and I'm willing to take advantage of free wifi without logging in to their network!

Thanks

Hummmm...AT&T also acquired Centennial for $994MM.

Yeah you have to login through AT&T.

Reako

Green Apple
    Thanks
    well this is just ******* great

after leaving my 2 iphones connected to the wayport wifi on a carnival cruise ship, i walked off the boat with 2000 dollars worth of internet charges alone. now its free. what the hell can i do about that money?

Quote Originally Posted by mrrom92 View Post
    well this is just ******* great

after leaving my 2 iphones connected to the wayport wifi on a carnival cruise ship, i walked off the boat with 2000 dollars worth of internet charges alone. now its free. what the hell can i do about that money?
    forget about it

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Is this part of the new ATT wifi at starbucks? If so, the wifi access I get at the Ames, IA startbucks is hardly internet at all. I would almost rather use edge...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

With the new wifi hotspots, can a jailbroke iphone using T-mobile use these spots? Oh I wish our phones were as open and free as those in Europe and Asia.
    Also, I saw an app for a broken iphone to use the Edge on T-mobile, if you pay for the service. Does this Edge allow one to surf the internet without wifi?

Thanks

wayport frustrates me....but oh hay yay!
    like a circus...