View Poll Results: What do you think about an AT&T tethering plan?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • Woohooo I <3 you AT&T.

21 16.03%
  • Who cares I have PDANet, iphone modem, etc.

78 59.54%
  • I don't tether or care about tethering.

32 24.43%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Want to Tether? AT&T Says Okay, Soon

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Tru dat iphone does everything i want it to but i cant seem to get swirly mms to work lol

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WillyDavidK View Post
    this should be included in an unlimited data plan, damnit!!!!
    yes it will be included but the plan will cost more now

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    Why even have an iPhone if all you're doing is complaining of what it doesn't have.

-why mms when you have e-mail? get with the times.
    -get backgrounder
    -get cycorder
    -get beejive (or wait for push-services and get aim/palringo/whatever)
    -learn to manage your space, you do NOT need your entire library with you. Learn to love playlists.
    -why? video conference? Has anyone ever actually used that, ever?
    -camera could be a little better, I'll give you that.
    -the case is just fine as it is. If you want extra protection buy a shell for it.
    -the 3G's battery is pretty damn awesome considering all it does. I can get 6 hours of heavy use with over 1 1/2 day of standby. And there's plenty of battery packs for the phone as it is.
    -copy/paste is the 2nd point I'll concede.

are you really claiming that you dont get seriously pissed off when one of your friends sends sends you something (pic, video) and you get that stupid message to go to the at&t website viewmymessage.com (barely ever works anyway), then you get to explain to your friend (who sent the pic from a free phone, or $20 prepaid tracphone) that your $300.00 "state of the art" phone cant even get a damn picture message??! you are crazy! sure email is great, i love it, but the truth is i only know 3 or 4 people that have the iphone, and a few with blackberries or other pdas....so emailing pics isnt always an option...not smart for at&t since they dont charge extra for emails but they do for picture and video sms

/rant
    Last edited by dontevenfucwitme; 11-10-2008 at 06:59 AM.
    Formerly of modmymoto.com ..now upgraded to 2.1 & jailbroken using quickpwn

RETIRED- Motorola L7 -R4517, RSA removed, EDGE internet browsing, full iPhone skin with 14 icon menu, widget style home icons, Bullfrog iTunes, 1GB storage

Quote Originally Posted by dontevenfucwitme View Post
    are you really claiming that you dont get seriously pissed off when one of your friends sends sends you something (pic, video) and you get that stupid message to go to the at&t website viewmymessage.com (barely ever works anyway), then you get to explain to your friend (who sent the pic from a free phone, or $20 prepaid tracphone) that your $300.00 "state of the art" phone cant even get a damn picture message??! you are crazy! sure email is great, i love it, but the truth is i only know 3 or 4 people that have the iphone, and a few with blackberries or other pdas....so emailing pics isnt always an option...not smart for at&t since they dont charge extra for emails but they do for picture and video sms

/rant
    I've asked all my friends to e-mail me instead, so I don't miss anything. Also, with phone's getting more advanced every day, do you really think MMS is going to be around for long while e-mail becomes the standard texting method? MMS is limited to your phone. E-mail you can check/receive/send from pretty much anywhere. Hell, I don't even use the SMS app anymore since I added all my friends' mobile phones as contacts on AIM and use that to text instead at no extra cost.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

So getting a crappy little picture in MMS makes THE difference in whether a phone is acceptable or not? Cmon.

Take a look at the majority of the phones coming out...see a trend here? Every carrier's top phone emulates the iPhone. You cannot deny the direction that phones are heading in.

Do I want to pay more to tether? No, but there are probably a ton of folks who will. This will open up all the internet related issues people gripe about.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dontevenfucwitme View Post

/rant
    Well I've never even received a single MMS message, because it is an outdated technology that was only implemented to make the mobile carriers more money in the first place. People are moving on already, and Apple is known for being one step ahead of the public in abandoning outdated technology.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the reason MMS is absent is NOT because Apple couldn't do it, it's because they specifically did not want MMS included.

Thanks

No carrier should dictate what is allowed or not allowed on a manufacturers cellular device. AT&T doesn't own Apple so Apple shouldn't be checking with them what's okay for iPhone users. Especially since the iPhone is now sold worldwide with carriers such as Rogers (located in Canada) that do allow tethering on their smartphone data plans. Due to Apple's tactics regarding pulling Nullriver's NetShare app from the App Store it was reason enough to jailbreak to install PDANet so I could tether my iPhone 3G to my MacBook Pro. I've found it useful on several occasions and it didn't require approval from my carrier.

SOHO: MacBook Pro, iMac, Maya, Shake, FCS 2, iLife, iWork, Office, Time Capsule, iPhone 3G 16GB

I highly doubt people are moving past MMS, maybe im "old school" but everyone I know is still using MMS alot. It's too convienent to be far away and take a pic and just send it to someone elses cell phone, when everyone does get a smart phone maybe we will go to all email, but I cant see everyone making the jump quite so soon.

what do you do with an mms pic after you receive it on your phone? Nothing? you cant even see the pic. And if you try to upload it to a computer, isnt it still the same size as on the phone? and increasing the size kills the quality. Whereas if you email it, it is full size. Plus, the ease of mms is the same as Email if you set up your contacts with their email addresses. Am i wrong?

Thanks

Yes, but it's so much easier to complain constantly about MMS than it is to accept that you are using a smartphone, and should be using email instead.

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WillyDavidK View Post
    Yes, but it's so much easier to complain constantly about MMS than it is to accept that you are using a smartphone, and should be using email instead.
    I completely disagree with that. The iphone is advertised as the "Most technologically advanced media phone ever developed". And not having something as simple as MMS capability is just stupid.

Also, its hard to use email when the majority of people out there are using MMS and NOT email to send pictures.

And I've never even seen a smartphone that didnt offer MMS capability. Really, I'm not sure if you can even buy a cellphone nowadays without it....its almost considered a "basic" function now.

Thanks

Well, that may be part of the reason it isn't on the iPhone. Apple has a reputation for abandoning dated technologies earlier than any other company. I recently did some... er.. 'work' on an old iMac G3 from 1999, and it came with a usb mouse and keyboard (even tho the mouse wasn't even optical) and there was no trace of a PS/2 port anywhere on the computer. Apple is famous (or infamous, depending on how you look at it) for doing this kind of thing.

Also, remember that SMS and email are actually exactly the same thing, your phone number has its own email address with your carrier, and emails sent to this address show up as a text on your phone. You can actually email people on their phone directly, and they will get a text from a number such as 0 (101) 100-001 or something similar with your name at the beginning of the message. I'm not sure exactly how MMS differs, but AFAIK it's still based on email.

I've had MMS on my phones for as long as I can remember (Certainly my Ericsson t68 had it) and have probably sent no more than about half a dozen MMSs - email is much better for what I need.

That doesn't mean others don't want MMS (I don't see the point in paying 25p for an MMS when email is free) and is no excuse for Apple not to include it.

Dropping dated technology? Yet they keep SMS.

The iPhone is IMHO the best phone on the market for me - but please don't try and make out it's perfect. It has some very small problems (we all know what they are) which I am surprised Apple haven't fixed yet. They are all relatively minor and, I believe, easily fixed with FW updates.

Maybe in 2.3....
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12