+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Opera Mini for iPhone Contradictions over App Store Denial

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    iPhone? More like MyPhone AppleChic's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Opera Mini for iPhone Contradictions over App Store Denial

It was just this past week that the New York Times announced that Opera’s Mini Browser had been rejected from the App Store. Opera was rejected as it writes its own Java Interpreter, which the iPhone SDK Agreement does not allow as this competes with Apple’s own Safari Browser. This practice has prompted heavy criticism from some circles.

The accuracy of this report has now come into question. PC World Magazine article writer Daniel Ionescu, quotes an Opera executive as saying that the Opera Browser was never even submitted to Apple’s App Store. Opera executive, Mr. Odland, told Ionescu, "Opera has not yet submitted a version of Opera Mini to Apple's App Store, but may do so in the future."

This directly contradicts what Opera CEO Jon Stephenson von Tetzchner told the New York Times last week about Apple’s denial. The article in PC World, suggests that this contradiction is nothing more than an aimed "publicity stunt," and if this so it would be the first time that Apple's own policies of secrecy/control have been used against them.

Furthermore, a recent post on Macrumors features content from noted blogger and researcher, John Gruber, who concludes based on his findings that, “information from informed sources who do not wish to be identified because they were not authorized by their employers, is that Opera has developed an iPhone version of Opera Mini - but they haven't even submitted it to Apple, let alone had it be rejected.”

Gruber had previously thought that the browser had been rejected due to a built-in JavaScript interpreter, however he thinks this was incorrect. Gruber now says that Opera Mini does not contain such interpretive code. Gruber explains,

“In a nut, it works like this: You request a URL in Opera Mini. Opera Mini makes the request to a proxy server run by Opera. Opera's proxy server connects to the web server hosting the requested URL, and renders the page into an image. This image is then transmitted (in a proprietary format called OBML - Opera Binary Markup Language) to the Opera Mini client. Opera Mini displays the rendered image on screen. This may sound convoluted, but apparently the result is very effective – its faster to transmit, because only OBML (a compressed binary format) is transmitted to the mobile device over the phone network, and far faster to render on slow mobile processors.”

However, the current version of the Opera Mini for other platforms is coded with Java, along with BREW and this is against the terms of the SDK. For Opera Mini to be made available in an official sense, it would have to be ported to C/Objective-C.

Sources:
    Opera Mini Not Rejected? [Updated] - Mac Rumors
    Report: Opera's Claims of App Store Denial a "Publicity Stunt" || The iPod Observer - Now Playing
    AppleChic

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AppleChic For This Useful Post:

cpkirkley (01-15-2009), yahoowizard (11-03-2008)

0.o
    Green Apple
    Thanks
    i reckon opera would make a better web browser than the current safari. hope it does make it to the iphone community

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 0.o For This Useful Post:

yahoowizard (11-03-2008)

Thanks

once again read this on another site and i think operas fight is strong but apple wont approve anything that makes its own product look bad. Its just common sense that opera would be better than Safari any day. i guaruntee there would be hacks for flash and other add ons for it too. i hope it gets released to the jailbreak community actually. i think that would be alot better and it would make much more progress there.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cricketlang For This Useful Post:

tattoojack (11-03-2008), yahoowizard (11-03-2008)

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

What he said ^^^^

8. The Following User Says Thank You to tattoojack For This Useful Post:

yahoowizard (11-03-2008)

My iPhone is a Part of Me lillewis51's Avatar
    Thanks

agreed with what he said ^^^^

10. The Following User Says Thank You to lillewis51 For This Useful Post:

BenzoHartt (03-10-2009)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    i expect firefox ...

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

This sounds like the classic case of the CEO saying more than he was supposed to say. Most probably he was correct in what hyas gone down between opera and Apple but he was supposed to claim that they had never submitted a thing...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

No credit at all? I posted this in the previous opera thread a few days ago, linking to that exact article...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cricketlang View Post
    once again read this on another site and i think operas fight is strong but apple wont approve anything that makes its own product look bad. Its just common sense that opera would be better than Safari any day. i guaruntee there would be hacks for flash and other add ons for it too. i hope it gets released to the jailbreak community actually. i think that would be alot better and it would make much more progress there.
    Quote Originally Posted by tattoojack View Post
    What he said ^^^^
    Quote Originally Posted by lillewis51 View Post
    agreed with what he said ^^^^
    What THOSE guys said ^^^^

iPhone? More like MyPhone aussiebob's Avatar
    Thanks

I wonder how many good apps they reject and we dont see on the market.
    There should be some sort of voting system via the community to see who is interested and who will buy via a mass newsletter to everone on itunes.
    My signiture? Whats that...............