+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New FastMac iv Promises to Triple iPhone 3G Battery Life

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Will this work with the first gen?
    iPhone? More like MyPhone sdmojaydo619's Avatar
    Thanks

Why can't people be more interrigent rike me? RICE!
    R.I.P - iPhone 2g, iPod classic 80GB

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sdmojaydo619 View Post
    Yes. Just read the whole front page.

I know I'm going to get one. My comp at work doesn't allow any usb hookups. This also would be nice to have in an emergency.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

That adds alot of beef... definitely not for me.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhone? More like MyPhone b3nny's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    #1 Feature: Extend battery life and does an amazing job. Big battery = big bulk.

"battery life
    flash
    and IMO: a case that protects all 4 corners (in case of dropping) AND a SMALL footprint!! it can't more-than-double the width of my device!"

This is not a "case" and not marketed as one either. If you do some research on extended batteries for other phones and past devices you will see that doubling the size is standard.

"now, lets talk about the "other" features:

USB port for other devices?
    i don't need my iphone to charge other devices. i bought an iphone so that i wouldn't HAVE to charge any other devices."

This added feature doesn't add the "bulk" you are taking about.. its just something they could integrate into it.

"speakers?
    last time i checked, my iphone already had speakers. (on the other hand though, i would be very curious if these speakers were a GREAT solution to fist gen iTouch users, and also, i'm wondering if this thing doesn't cover up your existing iphone speakers, making them rather worthless)."

The iPhone stock speakers are WORTHLESS! It wouldn't cover up the bottom b/c the mic for the phone would be useless and no one would be able to hear you. I'm sure they're not that dumb... come on.

"extended dock bottom thing?
    last time i checked, i could already dock my iphone, and i already have to take off the case i have now to dock it. its not that big of a deal. are we TRYING to add bulk to this thing?"

This doesn't add any additional bulk... seriously... its the battery.

"battery indicators?
    last time i checked, my iphone was very good at telling me how much battery life i have left."

Last time I checked my battery sucked big time and having an extended battery would be great for traveling or if I forgot my charger.

*sad times*

okay so basically what you're saying is that the USB port, the speakers, and the dock port on the bottom don't add any extra bulk or depth than that which would already be required for a battery the same size as is already in my iphone and a flash component, and the associated circuitry.

hmmmm, so maybe its just me, but i'm pretty sure that by cutting out some of that stuff, they could make this product smaller.

oh and also, it doesn't make any since at all to compare it to devices that were similar in the past. its obvious that all of our devices grow smaller and that the technologies that drive this type of product (such as battery technology) are constantly improving. thats why the iphone is so small, and i expect the same standard of cutting edge technology from something that my iphone will be wearing all the time.

oh and also, i never said it was marketed like a case, i'm simply stating that its something i would like to see from this product.

oh and also, i never said it covered up the speakers/mic. i simply stated that i was curious if it did or not, and wether or not this was the only purpose (and therefor added bulk) of the speakers. eliminate the dock port, and eliminate the need for speakers, sounds like we're talking a lot of bulk...

i think i was being pretty clear about what i meant, but maybe i'm wrong.

*rolls eyes*

i mean really all i'm really saying is that i'm pretty sure slapping another iphone battery onto the back of my iphone and plugging it into the bottom (which is all this product REALLY has to offer in the big scheme of things, the rest is all fluff) does NOT have to look like this!:

Quote Originally Posted by stan_the_man_123 View Post
    let me break out my ipaq 3630 with its compact flash sled case and its wired 56k modem that plugs into the wall and dials up to AOL!! ooooOOO let the nerd fest begin... i bought a man purse just to carry it since it won't fit in my pocket!! *facepalm*
    Last edited by b3nny; 11-04-2008 at 08:59 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

First of all, the dock connector is not adding at all to the thickness of the phone, it is a tiny extension at the BOTTOM of the phone that actually allows to be able to dock your phone and charge it and the battery without having to take the pack off, and without having to charge the pack separately.

The battery itself takes up about 95% of this product's size. The usb port was able to be added to the bottom because it was ALREADY thick enough to add it on, and it is probably just wired up directly in series with the internal dock connection. The flash probably adds a small increase in height as I'm assuming there is a bit of space above the battery for the led circuitry and for the switch. But again, this still has nothing to do with the thickness of the product, which is what you are primarily complaining about.

Attached is what this product would probably look like with the 'bulk' removed as you request...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New FastMac iv Promises to Triple iPhone 3G Battery Life-fastmac-ivforiphone-big3-31.jpg  

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

The only downfall I see in this product is that you have to remove your case that your phone is already in to plug it up.

The idea of having a battery that molds to the phone is nice though as the one I use now from Kennsington attaches with a dock connector wire.

Thanks
    I have the iPower, it is pretty good on adding additional juice, and is fairly cheap.
    Sent from my iPhone

iPhone? More like MyPhone b3nny's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WillyDavidK View Post
    First of all, the dock connector is not adding at all to the thickness of the phone, it is a tiny extension at the BOTTOM of the phone that actually allows to be able to dock your phone and charge it and the battery without having to take the pack off, and without having to charge the pack separately.

The battery itself takes up about 95% of this product's size. The usb port was able to be added to the bottom because it was ALREADY thick enough to add it on, and it is probably just wired up directly in series with the internal dock connection. The flash probably adds a small increase in height as I'm assuming there is a bit of space above the battery for the led circuitry and for the switch. But again, this still has nothing to do with the thickness of the product, which is what you are primarily complaining about.

Attached is what this product would probably look like with the 'bulk' removed as you request...

yes i'm afraid you're probably right, and although even your mock up looks more appealing than the original, i'm afraid its not up to par with what i would like to see. and maybe its impossible. thats fine. i'll just wait for technology to catch up to my demands. it should only take a couple months

and yes obviously the dock connector doesn't add to the thickness of the device, but i still think its a waste of space regardless of if its on the back or on the bottom. i mean the thing is too thick, sure, but its also too long!! i want this to fit in my pocket! and a USB port still doesn't make any since, even if the device was already that thick. two wrongs don't make a right, lets make it SMALLER. i would like to see your mock up SQUISHED down to cover the whole back side of the phone and not stick out so much. i'm sure others can see what i'm talking about. but in any case, i was just making suggestions on what i would LIKE to see in a perfect world.

thank you for replying constructively and informatively, and not bending my meanings all around.

Thanks

Hm, well it may be possible to 'squish' the battery as you say, if it is the same Li-ion polymer battery the phone uses internally, but it would require engineering a new battery all together. I'm still not sure how much they could 'squish' the battery before it began to cripple its life as well.

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12