+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Opera Rejected from AppStore

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
The web browser Opera has been rejected from the AppStore. Some may see this as unfortunate since on other mobile devices Opera Mini and Opera Mobile replace the typically shoddy
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,269 Times in 652 Posts

Default Opera Rejected from AppStore

The web browser Opera has been rejected from the AppStore. Some may see this as unfortunate since on other mobile devices Opera Mini and Opera Mobile replace the typically shoddy mobile browser with a nice, stable, easy to use, and quick mobile browser. In this case I don't think it's a huge loss for Opera to be rejected since the built-in Safari browser is pretty excellent in the iPhone. On the other hand it would have been nice to see if Opera did any better with their iPhone browser. Oh well.

Unlike other AppStore rejections of apps that violate no rules like Podcaster (now on Cydia) it is no surprise that Opera was rejected. The iPhone SDK Agreement does not allow you to write your own Java Interpreter which Opera did with their iPhone browser. Whether or not this restriction is good or bad is up for debate but Opera should have known the whole time that what they were developing wouldn't make it.

[via daring fireball and the new york times]

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cody Overcash For This Useful Post:

NakedFaerie (10-31-2008)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Iphone Safari is pretty excellent? Mine crashes after browsing a few webpage, and it gets worse when I have several tab open at once.
    I'm on FW 2.0.1. I can almost garantee every browsing experience I have in my iphone will crash Safari.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to powa For This Useful Post:

NakedFaerie (10-31-2008)

My iPhone is a Part of Me Chefanim's Avatar
    Thanks

wonder if they will make it available to the jailbreak scene.

Quote Originally Posted by powa View Post
    Iphone Safari is pretty excellent? Mine crashes after browsing a few webpage, and it gets worse when I have several tab open at once.
    I'm on FW 2.0.1. I can almost garantee every browsing experience I have in my iphone will crash Safari.
    2.0.1 is pretty buggy, Upgrade to 2.1

I havent ever had Safari crash on me.
    Last edited by Chefanim; 10-31-2008 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    So long, and thanks for all the fish

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,269 Times in 652 Posts

Restore your phone

Try out the Andriod browser. The iPhone browser is pretty excellent compared to other mobile phones

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This is quite a dissapointment. I can't stand the safari browser on the iPhone. At home I've sworn by Opera for 8 years now. It's hands down the best browsing experience there is. Opera Mini on my old Nokia was amazing even if it was still browsing the web on a 50 dollar flip phone. Opera actually made it doable. Screw Safari screw Firefox, Opera for life.

Thanks

I didn't really like opera from when I used it a good while back but now when you say it like that, I've been scared into trying it again, lol.
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

Green Apple
    Thanks

We need some like skyfire that i HAVE ON MY BLACKJACK , FLASH AND SOUND BUT THE IPHONE DOESNT HAVE FLASH

aen
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    i've never had safari crash on me

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aen View Post
    i've never had safari crash on me
    +1
    actually I agree, safari is one of the better phone browsers ive seen..
    As far as Opera, Ive used it on all my treo's.
    It works good.
    Allows you to browse the real web on a palm device,
    however its far from being as good as safari.

iPhone? More like MyPhone skizo's Avatar
    Thanks

I agree. My Safari started crashing after going to 2.0 as I can't ever recall a crash prior to that "upgrade".

I have 2 other friends with iPhones and they have the same issues.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

safari is a great browser.

however, i get the crashing all the time. sometimes it just keeps doing it, then i wait like 5min and it stops crashing then starts again.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skizo View Post
    I agree. My Safari started crashing after going to 2.0 as I can't ever recall a crash prior to that "upgrade".

I have 2 other friends with iPhones and they have the same issues.
    As pointed out by a previous post in this thread, if you upgrade to 2.1 you will find that Safari is much more stable. 2.0.x was unstable as hell, and I saw the exact problem you are both describing. Since my upgrade to 2.1, it has worked flawlessly.

That being said, when I upgraded to 2.1, I set it up as a new iphone, and did not migrate any of the settings from my nasty 2.0.x days.

Give it a try... you may be happier with your phone afterwards.

Cheers
    ================================
    Happily hacking my iPhone since 1.0

Don't forget, it is polite to say Thank you!
    ================================

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

i like safari... but man! it crashes most of the time on me

Thanks

Default Of Course
    I already read this news on another site and i was not surprised at all. I am not even sure why Opera would even TRY to get in an app that mimics the features of an apple program. We already know from other applications such as Podcaster and the new PwnPlayer (which was smart to not even try to get in the app store...lol) that we will not be getting anything in the app store that even tries to be like something apple.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    ok everyone if APPLE rejected OPERA lets see if we can get this app into CYDIA that way we can still get to tested and not be doomed cause of APPLE monopolic strageties

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rcml1 For This Useful Post:

b3nny (11-01-2008), KingRedmer (11-02-2008)

Thanks

On average safari crashes 3-5 times a month for me, not bad considering how much I use it. Coincidentally (?) it crashed twice just while I was reading/trying to comment on this thread lmao. Irony at it's best
    Itís sad that a family can be torn apart by something as simple as a pack of wild dogs.

iPhone? More like MyPhone riku98523's Avatar
    Thanks

Meh I am glad I hate Opera lol. I don't have any problems with safari and I never have it crash. (I installed the Dark safari and I love it ) If they made FireFox mobile though I would make worshiping firefox my new religion X-D.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

excellent my ***, its slow unomptimized and missing plenty of features, I am SO MAD OPERA GOT REJECTED!!! opera is my main browser cuz it consumes so little resources and it flies through webpages. I know opera dosent offer security like firefox but who needs security on a os on a PHONE?

PLEASE RELEASE IT IN CYDIA!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Cool OPERA MINI release it in CYDIA
    ok ive use the safari browser , i know its the best out there but we would like to have something different for a change . What we need to do is try to see how OPERA MINI can get released in CYDIA. cause i have used it before and it does fly thru the websites.
    PLEASE SOMEONE RELEASE IT IN CYDIA

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Default Some of you are being stupid!!!
    First of all Opera had no chance, and they knew it.

second: just because opera desktop or mobile is good dosent mean that the iphone one will be good, thats because they have to remake the app on a new platform.

and last even if it did make it, opera would be missing features because the sdk limitations (if they even followed them)

-alek

PS there i another webbrowser instead of safari for the iphone, its in that one radio app.