+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: More 2.2 Features. Podcast Downloads (rip-off?) and App Rating Popups (flawed)

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
A couple more features have been revealed in addition to google street view in the latest firmware 2.2 beta. It has all become clear. Apples rejected the awesome app Podcaster
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,273 Times in 652 Posts

Default More 2.2 Features. Podcast Downloads (rip-off?) and App Rating Popups (flawed)
    A couple more features have been revealed in addition to google street view in the latest firmware 2.2 beta.

It has all become clear. Apples rejected the awesome app Podcaster under the premise that "... Podcaster assists in the distribution of podcasts, it duplicates the functionality of the Podcast section of iTunes," forcing Podcaster distribution via Cydia instead of the AppStore. Turns out that might not be the full story.

Evidentally Apple has included the buttons in the latest build of firmware 2.2 to "Get More Episodes" hinting that firmware 2.2 will be able to subscribe to Podcasts without having to connect to iTunes. It is easy to make the assumption that you would also be able to download new Podcasts directly from the iPhone. Both of those are features previously unavailble on the iPhone and first made possible with Podcaster. I wonder if Apple took a look at the Podcaster source code and did a copy here and a paste there for their new feature.

Another new feature (or annoyance) in firmware 2.2 is a nice little popup every time you remove an AppStore app. The popup asks you to "Please Rate the app you are deleting. This is most likely in effort to get more reviews flowing into the AppStore since the amount and frequency of AppStore reviews has decreased since they made purchasing mandatory for reviewing AppStore apps.

The problem with this new little popup is that the thinking behind it is just flawed. If someone is deleting an app do you think they liked it? If you thought and app was awesome would you delete it from your phone? I think not. If this feature goes live with the public release of firmware 2.2 it will undoubtedly create an unfair bias of negative app reviews.

[via macnn and tuaw]

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cody Overcash For This Useful Post:

apoc (10-30-2008), nte (10-31-2008)

Thanks

No Thanks

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

The app rating pop up is a bummer. If I have used an app from the appstore then I take the time to login and give a review on my PC. Hopefully they will rethink this.

I have no idea what podcasts are, but it sounds like a good deal for those that use them. Why not? You can download everything else already so I wonder why the podcasts were excluded.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

So would the Podcaster dev/s have a case if he/they decided to sue?

Thanks

Apple have probably had this on their 'to do' lists since the first firmware
    To live, you have to lie

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redcard View Post
    Apple have probably had this on their 'to do' lists since the first firmware
    along with copy paste

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i think that "get more episodes" might just extend the list, just like "load 25 more emails" does.

Thanks

So I get to enjoy popups on my phone too now? YAY!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Anybody know when this is due to be released ?

Thanks

why don't you say that the second one revealed iPhoneHellas.gr?( this is the best site in Greece!!!!)
    Link

By the way you're my second favorite site for iPhone News.
    Last edited by ipodtouchpro; 10-29-2008 at 06:58 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

[IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to z3r01 For This Useful Post:

apoc (10-30-2008), jonnyraincloud (10-29-2008)

iPhone? More like MyPhone mtwiford's Avatar
    Thanks

I am sure apple thought of the podcast idea long ago. They are just saving some of the ideas for new firmware releases. Also people may not only delete apps because they dont like them. There are a lot of other factors to consider. They may need space to load more music, movies, etc. They may have too many apps and want to add a new one, so they have to delete one not used as frequently to make space on the springboard for the new one. That would not necessarily mean they do not like the app.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    The app rating pop up is a bummer. If I have used an app from the appstore then I take the time to login and give a review on my PC. Hopefully they will rethink this.
    Even if the pop up does happen with the new firmware, apple will probably include a switch to turn it on/off. If not I am sure a developer will come up with a bypass that will be available on Cydia.
    Last edited by mtwiford; 10-29-2008 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

......epic

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtwiford For This Useful Post:

apoc (10-30-2008), kingskid07 (10-30-2008)

Thanks

i'm not feeling those either. There had better be an OFF switch in the preferences menu.lol

Thanks

Is that all that certain people think about? I purchased Podcaster, and it's a nice app, but it's not rocket science to go from putting the product on the phone through iTunes and putting it on the iPhone directly. I'm sure that Apple has been planning to do this for a while - if it IS doing it. That option to retrieve more may be to retrieve more podcasts that are already on the device. If there is no patent on it or if this process has been done before or it is known or available to the public (also known as prior art), then you cannot patent that process, and in each instance, no suit can ensue. Even during the patent process other companies can negate the patent by demonstrating that there is prior art. So there is NO CHANCE OF WINNING A SUIT POSSIBLE HERE!

Also, whoever is leaking this info is violating the NDA because this is a firmware version that is not available to the public. So this option may never be included in any final firmware! Those people may be sued for violating the NDA, but Apple refrains from suing them.

You should be happy that Apple will be providing additional functionality, if it chooses to do so, instead of just thinking about devising ways in which to sue the company that provides a product which you can choose not to buy!!

Quote Originally Posted by 96hondaex View Post
    I don't mind the rating popup. Maybe Apple should do it as an option that you can turn on or off. I would probably leave it on because I would like to leave feedback, and this is a way in which to do it quickly. If I delete an app, it doesn't necessarily mean that I didn't like it. Maybe it was a great app, but it didn't fit my needs or maybe I am rotating apps because my screens are full, and I am deleting the app to install another app, but I may install that deleted app again. In that case, the app may be excellent, but I am just deleting it, and I would like to provide feedback.

What I would like Apple to implement is a system in which the high scores and other info can be maintained on the phone even if I delete the app. Because it may be an app that I will reinstall in the future, and I want to have that info stored when I reinstall the app in the future. That should be an option that could be turned on and off in settings for apps and would be very useful. I'm going to patent that so that I can sue Apple later when it implements it - haha!! I'm just making a joke relating to the guy who asked if Apple can be sued by the Podcaster developer for implementing downloads of podcasts directly onto the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post

I have no idea what podcasts are, but it sounds like a good deal for those that use them. Why not? You can download everything else already so I wonder why the podcasts were excluded.
    Last edited by vandy1997; 10-29-2008 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 96hondaex View Post
    I think no. It's just funny that an app that doesnt violate the rules for AppStore apps is refused from the AppStore and then the next firmware version has something with identical functionality

Green Apple
    Thanks

wtf i am so disappointed at the lack of copy/paste and mms

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Still no C&P, ffs, hurry Apple, how the hell am I supposed to forward a text message and to add more than one pic in an email??????

I want to add attachments like files to emails aswell or save an attachment to a file browser and not just open it in mail!
    Idc about podcasts anyway.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

A simple fix would be to have the app rating popup after maybe 1-5 days of having the app installed... DONE, not difficult at all. Why would you force people DELETING an app to rate it? That is just not thinking...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Glad to see Apple's got their priorities right in this firmware upgrade... Hmm, ability to wifi transfer podcasts with the already implemented feature of doing it via usb, street view, and japanese sms icons...

Yet people are screaming for C&P, MMS, Bluetooth file transfer and A2DP, video recording...

Thankfully Jailbreaking gives me 90% of these features, albeit having to PAY for them!

Who here thinks that once Android comes out, ALL these features will magically appear in the next firmware upgrade???

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I disagree, I dont think that making you review an app when deleting would give an "unfair" rating, like you said, if your deleting it its not very good, therefore posting a bad review would bo perfectly fair.