Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Want GPS on your 1st Gen? Coming Soon for $75

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,276 Times in 652 Posts

Default Want GPS on your 1st Gen? Coming Soon for $75

In the past various companies have claimed to be developing a GPS module to plug into the bottom of your 1st generation iPhone. Finally after all the wait Orange Gadgets is preparing to release the first GPS plug-in for the first gen iPhone.

Included with the GPS module is a 6ft USB-A to micro USB-B cable for on-the-go or at home charging. With this cable you will be able to charge your iPhone or iPod touch while the module is plugged into your handheld device. A suitable USB car charger, USB wall charger or USB desktop/laptop port is required for this functionality (not included). The cable and the GPS device come together for the price of $75 + shipping.

It appears the GPS module will communicate with a 3rd party app along with google maps if the images on their site are any indication. It is currently not clear whether or not you need to have a jailbroken phone to use the GPS module but if I were to take a shot in the dark I'd say probably yes.

For those of you interested in this product you can pre-order here.

[orangegadgets via theiphoneblog]

Banned
    Thanks

As long as its not priced stupidly high like all Apple products I think it will make the iPhone 2G more appealing now.
    As soon as TomTom comes out for iPhone then I will get it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mwr_allen's Avatar
    Thanks

How far is TomTom away from releasing their app for the iPhone??
    They said quite a long time ago that "they tested their app on the iPhone and it worked" so where is it??

Sounds like a decent idea... however, until there's good GPS software for the iPhone, I'll just stick with a true GPS device.
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

I wonder how bulky it is in comparison to. We can't see it on the device but it looks like it'll make it the size if a tv remote.LOL. I wanna see my options.... Where is tomtom?

Come to think of it u can buy a gps that stays in the car for around the same price right???

Livin the iPhone Life heath_rox's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mwr_allen View Post
    How far is TomTom away from releasing their app for the iPhone??
    They said quite a long time ago that "they tested their app on the iPhone and it worked" so where is it??
    its never coming apple wont let them
    "Its better to be a pirate than join the navy"Steve Jobs

My iPhone is a Part of Me nycdiplomat's Avatar
    Thanks

i dont need GPS that bad on the iphone, good lord! It should have been included in the initial release for as much as the 1st gen was.
    waiting on my iPhone 6+

iPhone? More like MyPhone chris52204's Avatar
    Thanks

All if have to say is be careful with this site. The trust certificate is from a completely different website. So I would watch what info you give them.
    If you like what I said....Hit thanks
    If you don't like what I said....Hit thanks anyways

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chris52204 View Post
    All if have to say is be careful with this site. The trust certificate is from a completely different website. So I would watch what info you give them.

Which site are you talking about? Orange or TheiPhoneBlog?

Thanks

yea i think its awesome i have been following this project since march and set my preorder (#323) and i already order it the day the store opened up. It will work for ANY JAILBROKEN iPhone, and ipod touch. the new iTouch will work with it as well (wen ever it is jailbroken) but currently it works wit iPhone (1st gen), iTouch (1st gen), and the 3G iPhone so long as these devices are Jailbroken. As far as maps go you gotta add this cydia source

Index of /iphone

to your device and download watever map.but all in all good product a lil on the pricey side but they are only making 1000 (so faR) they have already started shipping ! and now if we can just get these icontrolpad guys to hustle i bet these devices would be pretty freaking cool

sryy so long
    Last edited by chi_towner1; 10-29-2008 at 01:03 PM.

you do need a jailbroken iphone/ipod touch, and it is not the maps either, just the hardware. you have to go to another site to download the maps

Thanks

Why can't they make it wireless so it can just sit in your pocket?

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

This is alright. For the price you may as well get a dedicated GPS unit (well ok a few bucks more)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ryanean View Post
    Which site are you talking about? Orange or TheiPhoneBlog?

The link where it says pre-order here. The orange gadget one.
    Last edited by chris52204; 10-29-2008 at 03:23 PM.

I would be leary of pre-ordering anything that has not been reviewed or tested. And their website not having a valid security certificate does not bode well to me. And they are only making 1,000. I am just saying buyer beware. Too many red flags for my taste.

for those who don't believe this, check the orange gadgets blog
    In the making: GPS for the iPhone and iPod Touch
    btw, you don't have to pre-order anymore, they are shipping the modules

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nukie View Post
    I would be leary of pre-ordering anything that has not been reviewed or tested. And their website not having a valid security certificate does not bode well to me. And they are only making 1,000. I am just saying buyer beware. Too many red flags for my taste.
    If they are only selling 1,000 then yeah it's gotta be a scam. You can make tons of money selling this item, who in there right mind is gonna say I only need to make 5 grand in profit so I'm gonna stop selling these even though they sell like hot cakes???

Kind of reminds me when everybody wanted an unlock for the 1.1.2 phone and the unlock was mysterious found and being sold.
    Last edited by chris52204; 10-29-2008 at 10:04 PM.

i must disigree with you, chris52204. if this really was a scam, then why would this guy (yes, only one guy devoleped this product) post all his findings in his blog? Also, who said these things were selling like hot-cakes? There is only limited quantity (for now) due to little demand with the release of the iphone 3G. If you cared to read his blog, you would see this isn't the first GPS for module for the iphone 1st gen.

Quote Originally Posted by heath_rox View Post
    its never coming apple wont let them
    then why dont they release it for jailbroken iphones?????? I want it badly

I would be great if they can incorporate 3G into it too, then it's all set. That way if 4G or 5G come out in the future. We just have to buy the plug in instead of buying the whole new phone.

Integra93_4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast