+ Reply
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Rock Out With Your Cydia Out

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Looks great...I'm really pissed i forgot my iphone at home today. Othewise i'd be adding it right now!
    Green Apple
    Thanks
    Looks great...I'm really pissed i forgot my iphone at home today. Othewise i'd be adding it right now!

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,800 Times in 1,224 Posts

mike - those are, essentially, the "bsd subsystem" that comes with Cydia. You should NOT uninstall those, no, as they are useful to many apps.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Green Apple
    Thanks

love it....

Thanks

This is great and all but here is my concern: with the drama in the iphone developer community, splits, get back togethers, infighting and what not, Cydia exists at Nullriver's whim. Should they decide to flip the switch (for whatever reason) this ALL goes under. There certainly appears reason for them to feel slighted/threatened by all this. Right? They have had a rift in the past when this all began back in July and refused to allow some things on THEIR system. What's to say it doesn't happen again?

Correct me if I'm wrong, please. We need a server(s) for Cydia to reside on permanently, on its own and not subject to anyone's potential temper tantrum.

Has anyone considered this?
    Last edited by exNavy; 02-29-2008 at 12:01 PM.
    Hmm...

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,274 Times in 652 Posts

exNavy, i believe saurik is just using installer to install it, it isn't "residing" on any nullriver servers. If situations change I am sure saurik will come up with another easy install solution.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cody Overcash For This Useful Post:

thailar (03-01-2008)

Thanks

As I understand it, you must add saurik as a source and there lies the potential problem. I guess you could always install this program via SSH then. Just want to think out the options here...
    Hmm...

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,800 Times in 1,224 Posts

Yup. The source URL for Cydia kinda gives that away - apptapp.saurik.com.

I suppose if Nullriver REALLY got mad they could block one specfic URL from being added... which would be plain ol dumb. People add sources all the time, thats no big deal.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kyle Matthews For This Useful Post:

thailar (03-01-2008)

francis
    exNavy, if Installer flips the switch, it would have to mean stopping ANY and ALL 3rd party sources, (which this is). Needless to say, thats not happening, and also, if that were to happen, it would hardly be harmful to Cydia as it will be the only solution out there at that point

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to francis For This Useful Post:

cal6n (03-02-2008), thailar (03-01-2008)

Thanks

looks great

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I installed this and there was a main error while installing. Now my phone is stuck at the apple start screen.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Looks nice, I'll try it out

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Awesome work guys!
    Just a quick question... It's safe to have installer.app and Cydia installed? Yes I know u need installer.app first to install the source and etc. but afterwards to keep it both on iPhone will not cause greif? and just to clear something up, this is basically just like installer.app where with Cydia u can still install NES, iPhysic, Emulaotors and the works?? Just need the sources to be added....

Thanks

Thanks

A great tool, many thanks saurik, I've already installed a few things without problem, also iAno refused to work for me under installer but works beautifully now, maybe something to do with the BSD replacement tools you packaged with this.

Keep up the good work and I look forward to more sources converting over to Cydia

Also I could hardly believe it when I clicked your thanks button and realised I was the first to do so, so you currently have one thanks in one post from me and many more to come i'm sure
    Last edited by ericidle; 02-29-2008 at 03:34 PM.
    Eric's iPhone 4 4.01 offically unlocked

Thanks
    Hi guys, I have a question. I am a complete novice at modding my phone as you can tell from some of my old posts and it has taken me almost forever up until about a month ago to jailbreak my phone. I want to try out cydia but im afraid i will mess something up and mess up my phone. My question is, is worth me installing cydia in just checking it out and not that i will uninstall it but would i be technically able to uninstall it and would it work with my apps from installer like summer board or would i have to download it again.......Man i havent even upgraded to 1.1.4 yet because i dont want to left without these great apps again. And i know ziphone 2.5 is out. Any insight would be great. TY

If I helped you or you liked what I said don't forget to hit Thanks.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I have a jailbroken 1.1.3, and I use Windows... is this safe for me? Anything I need to know or just straight download and go...

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by danny1966 View Post
    Thanks man, you gave good info, only I have problem with this app in my 1.1.3 iPhone which I was jailbreak with ziphone 2.4. after installation was down and I restart my iphone, I see only the apple logo !! I try to SSH and worked by chance and delete the Cydia. app from iphone and restart by holding home and wake, after some while iPhone back to the good position again, I check installer and the Cydia Pak was there and I re-instling again but I got this WARNING: BSD Subsystem attempts to install broken versions of the same tools you might install vis Packager.. After I push OK, and the job down, I restart but again am back to the apple logo, any help, can I make some thing wrong ?
    When you are able to SSH into your device after installing, double check to see how many total folders are in your Applications folder, if you have more than 80, meaning Cydia has become your 81st, then you have to delete an app and reboot as this should fix your issue. I just realzied this 2 days ago, after installing so many apps off installer, restoring, installing apps again, stuck at apple logo but able to ssh, checked how many apps, was at 83, deleted 4 apps, BAM! back in business.
    - iPhone 8gig and 16gig 3G - 3.0 - JailBroken + Unlocked to T-Mobile Unlimited Plan & Total Internet Plan.
    - iPod Touch - UnJailBroken
    - XBOX 360 - Modded Firmware - XBL (my s/n)
    - XBOX - Software Modded - XBMC
    - Dell Inspiron 1521 - [B]Vista Ultimate and
    running Windows XP and Mac OS X 10.5.4 (YES! Mac OS on an Dell PC)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

how u doing i am new to the sight i got the web page from the guy at att when i got my iphone how do u download the downloads

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by telling75 View Post
    how u doing i am new to the sight i got the web page from the guy at att when i got my iphone how do u download the downloads
    Go to downloads section at top of page, go through the different categories, click on pic to download or go click on name, takes you to another screen with more detials of what you are about to download, then click download button. Welcome to the boards. Before doing any hacks with your device, please read all info in wiki first.
    - iPhone 8gig and 16gig 3G - 3.0 - JailBroken + Unlocked to T-Mobile Unlimited Plan & Total Internet Plan.
    - iPod Touch - UnJailBroken
    - XBOX 360 - Modded Firmware - XBL (my s/n)
    - XBOX - Software Modded - XBMC
    - Dell Inspiron 1521 - [B]Vista Ultimate and
    running Windows XP and Mac OS X 10.5.4 (YES! Mac OS on an Dell PC)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

dawn of a new era. now we're talking. love the direction things are going ... kudos, thank you, many, many thank you's.

==== just installed more packages ... AMAZING!!!! no sleep tonite ++++
    Last edited by freefone; 02-29-2008 at 11:31 PM.

Thanks

For those that are claiming that Cydia has broken Installer, please note this is simply not the case. Installer performance has been degrading over the past few weeks to the point of working 50%-75% of the time. Simply read all the posts related to Installer, well before you started using Cydia.

I expect to fully support this effort and give major props to the developers and supporters.

Great job!
    White 3G

+ Reply
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast