Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Rock Out With Your Cydia Out

Quote Originally Posted by Backslash786 View Post
    where do i get this?,

also how do i install it ?

i have 1.1.3

thanks
    read the front page,

add a source to installer then look under system cat

also just noticed, it says

"Cydia is easy for you to get on your iPhone - if you've got Installer on your iPhone/iPod Touch (and have used BigBoss's tool to move your apps folder to give you more space - that's in Installer also),"

why would using bosstools make a diference?
    im using catorgies, and boss tools always seems to corrupt my programs and they disappeare.
    what benefit would i gain from using bosstools first?
    Last edited by metaljay; 02-29-2008 at 04:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

francis
    That's actually a misprint. Cydia makes space for itself, you do not *need* BossTool although if you've used it, it's not a problem.

To install Cydia, add http://apptapp.saurik.com/ as a source in installer, and then install Cydia Packager.

Upgrade All is a button in the "Changes" window, click Changes, then you will find "Upgrade All" on the top-left corner of the screen

Edit: @metaljay, just noticed your comment about jailbreakme.com:
    Unfortunately, the jailbreakme.com method has limitations, most importantly, size, the tiff can only contain so much code, and frankly, 11MB is way beyond the limit.
    Last edited by francis; 02-29-2008 at 05:01 AM.

i wish that it would have said in the review that this was un-removable.
    i'm not interested in this anymore considering i can get everything on installer. definitely lame i'm going to have to restore now..

francis
    rob, you don't have to restore, just do "apt-get remove cydia" in terminal and you'll be back to normal again.

to be fair m8, dont be hatein, its experimentle
    francis has explained alot through this thread

i gurantee people will be using this alot more than installer eventually!

shows great possabilities

also the 11mb would not have to be embedded into the .tiff

but rather a link? to a smaller compressed file that once the ihpone was restarted, would connect to the internet and download the full version

im not much of a developer, but just an idea

ignore me if useless lol

Nice JOb Gratz

Quote Originally Posted by francis View Post
    For now, just like the BSD Subsystem, you can only reinstall Cydia Packager, not uninstall. About the Fake BSD, I agree that it requires better explanation, and here it is:

Quite a few applications on Installer require the BSD Subsystem, Cydia Packager provides better versions of exactly the same files as BSD Subsystem, now if you start out fresh, and install Cydia without having BSD, Installer.app repos don't know that you have these files because BSD isn't installed, but you DO have these files because they came with Cydia. So in this situation, you would install Fake BSD in order to trick installer into thinking you have BSD, and allow applications that require it to install properly.

Note: If you have previously installed BSD Subsystem, you do NOT need Fake BSD, because Installer.app still thinks BSD is installed, and you're fine.

Also, do not reinstall or update BSD Subsystem after installing Cydia, as this will break Cydia, you will never need BSD again after installing it, so don't worry about it

I'd also like to point out that Cydia comes with a working 'passwd' utility, so you can now safely change your SSH password without breaking your phone!
    Thanks man, you gave good info, only I have problem with this app in my 1.1.3 iPhone which I was jailbreak with ziphone 2.4. after installation was down and I restart my iphone, I see only the apple logo !! I try to SSH and worked by chance and delete the Cydia. app from iphone and restart by holding home and wake, after some while iPhone back to the good position again, I check installer and the Cydia Pak was there and I re-instling again but I got this WARNING: BSD Subsystem attempts to install broken versions of the same tools you might install vis Packager.. After I push OK, and the job down, I restart but again am back to the apple logo, any help, can I make some thing wrong ?

i dont have to restore? i thought its like bsd subsystem..
    doesn't that mean i can essentially uninstall but the files are still there?

thanks

I'm a location with no wifi, and EDGE is too slow to download the 11mb package. Is there any way I can manually install this package?

I have access to my iPhone's file system using AFP. Is there any way I could put the package (zip file) in the temp folder of Installer, and have installer install it?
    Last edited by jkfox121; 02-29-2008 at 06:59 AM.
    iPhone 3GS - 32GB

Pimp! I love it. Great job!!!

francis
    robjrussel, this is nothing like BSD, which is an utter pile of crap. You can completely rid your system of cydia and friends by running the following commands in terminal (but i really dont see why you'd want to do this, and i strongly advise against it in any case, but here goes

apt-get clean
    apt-get remove apt (when it asks, respond with Yes, do as I say!)

Boom! you're done, and you have a phone thats infinitely less useful now :P But yes, as I said, although it IS uninstallable, so many apps rely on tools provided by Cydia/BSD that you really should keep one or the other installed, its not hurting anything and can only help if you run into trouble in the future (having remote shell access to your iPhone can be a lifesaver)

I got a script execution error! what have I done wrong I am using a activated and jailbroken unlocked 1.1.2 upgraded to 1.1.3. Please help!

This is an awesome release! While installer works great, I've never been totally comfortable with the closed-source and minimal communication from Nullriver. I was sad to see the Pixel Package standard (iBrikr/Breezy) disappear and have been patiently waiting for an alternative to Installer for a long time. I've never taken their open-source claims seriously; we'll be paying for Installer one of these days.

For a work in progress, Cydia is an excellent alternative and has already surpassed Installer in features and usability in my opinion. Keep up the good work! And many thanks to ModMyI for supporting this project.

I have two random comments:

1. As more sources are added, it may be valuable to have some "super categories" to keep things clear. Most users won't be interested in (or understand) the command line and development tools, so having them mixed in with everything else may cause the average user to shy away from Cydia. I know the goal of the project is to bring real UNIX tools to the iPhone, and it does exactly that, but it's so capable of being a true Applications manager as well. What I'm picturing is a few tabs for Applications (end-user GUI apps), Services (non-GUI stuff like SSH and TaskBarNotifier), and Developer Tools (the rest). Just a thought.

2. It's great to hear that you're already looking at enabling Cydia to tell what applications were already installed by Installer. Something that I've always wanted is an ability to reload my applications after a restore. If I could manually load a large number of applications (from a backup using FTP), then tell Cydia that they're already installed somehow so it could continue to provide notification of updates, that would make the restore process so much less painful.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mfleigle's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow I wish this was a installer.app replacement

after installing cydia, my installer no longer downloads packages and it says cannot find host on installer. Any way to fix this?

so i tried to install pocket guitar off of cydia, and my iphone froze in time for about 5 minutes. I reset it and it is stuck on the apple screen. Restoring now...not much fun

after i installed Cydia i notices my apps were moved to the media partition, and ringtones too (fonts were moved by me before to make space)

was it really necesary ? i was left with 144 or so mb of free room in the root partition, that wont be used, ever, right ?

i always moved apps to media partition up to firmware 112 (i liked to have TONS AND MILLIONS of them installeD), but since 1.1.3 and the 80 app limit, i started moving the fonts instead.

now i moved fonts back to the root partition and i have 59 mb of space there, should i move ringtones too or will Cydia use the root partition for something ?

I totally agree with this "super categories" thing to keep things clear. I just installed cydia and its pretty overwhelming. 99% of the stuff that is in there is stuff I will never "use" per say my self, its for programs and developers which is fine, but please "hide" these from me I only want to see apps with gui's and not x11 core library or FAAC library (though this is really cool) Keep these things to their own Developer or library tab and let me just see end user apps. Good Job. Thanks!

Even though I have not installed anything using Cydia the "Uninstall" section is full of apps to uninstall. Why is that? These are apps that I do not use. Should I uninstall them?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast