+ Reply
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Rock Out With Your Cydia Out

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
how do we uninstall it? not that i want to, and whats with the fake bsd do i have to instal it or uninstall the bsd subsystem?
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

how do we uninstall it? not that i want to, and whats with the fake bsd do i have to instal it or uninstall the bsd subsystem?

francis
    For now, just like the BSD Subsystem, you can only reinstall Cydia Packager, not uninstall. About the Fake BSD, I agree that it requires better explanation, and here it is:

Quite a few applications on Installer require the BSD Subsystem, Cydia Packager provides better versions of exactly the same files as BSD Subsystem, now if you start out fresh, and install Cydia without having BSD, Installer.app repos don't know that you have these files because BSD isn't installed, but you DO have these files because they came with Cydia. So in this situation, you would install Fake BSD in order to trick installer into thinking you have BSD, and allow applications that require it to install properly.

Note: If you have previously installed BSD Subsystem, you do NOT need Fake BSD, because Installer.app still thinks BSD is installed, and you're fine.

Also, do not reinstall or update BSD Subsystem after installing Cydia, as this will break Cydia, you will never need BSD again after installing it, so don't worry about it

I'd also like to point out that Cydia comes with a working 'passwd' utility, so you can now safely change your SSH password without breaking your phone!

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to francis For This Useful Post:

chronzz (02-29-2008), jasonm253 (02-29-2008), jatatla (02-29-2008), zedeff (02-29-2008)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Incredible......Wonderfull.....Excellent....Marval ous.......Mindblowing....extraordinary and Awesome....Pl keep it up..........

Pl can somebody tell...does it conflict with INSTALLER,if both together..?
    Thankx
    Last edited by jatatla; 02-29-2008 at 01:06 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Thanks a lot Saurik I read your entire page and I am just amazed that in just one month you were able to make this happen you really deserve a Nobel price in that though! props for you mate and btw you and the developers have done much more for the iPhone than apple itself I trully salute you lads and I take my hat off for you,poetic Foley,cash,Ryan "take the plunge" Christopher expert in new firmware testings and the rest of the developers.

Apple should really think about hiring such incredible people like you,the dev team and zibri you lads are one of a kind!....

Cheers,eh!

Ps: btw if I want to uninstall Cydia how would I be able to do that,eh? I know If I do that I'll have to reinstall bsd subsystem again.
    Last edited by maritimeswimmer; 02-29-2008 at 01:21 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone jasonm253's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by francis View Post
    For now, just like the BSD Subsystem, you can only reinstall Cydia Packager, not uninstall. About the Fake BSD, I agree that it requires better explanation, and here it is:

Quite a few applications on Installer require the BSD Subsystem, Cydia Packager provides better versions of exactly the same files as BSD Subsystem, now if you start out fresh, and install Cydia without having BSD, Installer.app repos don't know that you have these files because BSD isn't installed, but you DO have these files because they came with Cydia. So in this situation, you would install Fake BSD in order to trick installer into thinking you have BSD, and allow applications that require it to install properly.

Note: If you have previously installed BSD Subsystem, you do NOT need Fake BSD, because Installer.app still thinks BSD is installed, and you're fine.

Also, do not reinstall or update BSD Subsystem after installing Cydia, as this will break Cydia, you will never need BSD again after installing it, so don't worry about it

I'd also like to point out that Cydia comes with a working 'passwd' utility, so you can now safely change your SSH password without breaking your phone!

I was going to ask a question about this and i appreciate the answer before asking man!

francis
    Cydia Packager does not conflict with Installer in any way or form. poetic_folly mentioned this in the original post, and I just want to make it clear, that there is no conflict between Installer and Cydia, both can run peacefully side by side.

One of the major advantages of Cydia, besides the superior GUI, is that it comes with a built-in extensive subsystem, a true subsystem ported directly from Darwin Mac OSX 10.5. Visit www.telesphoreo.org if you are interested.

I also suggest that, for those of you who are technically-minded, read some of the articles on www.saurik.com, where Saurik has written an extensive summary of his current iPhone projects (Telesphoreo and Cydia). The analysis is refreshingly extensive (warning: possible side-effects may include an overwhelming sense of enlightenment :P )

Developer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lyxus View Post
    The bad thing is it cannot see which program has been already installed by installer.app
    This is a known issue that is actually in the roadmap for implementation, and is likely to be implemented rather soon. I didn't anticipate actually having this much support for Cydia as a means of installing graphical applications this soon ;P. You will be seeing this as an update to Cydia (which you will of course get via Cydia) in a few days.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    hey

how do i add Sources to it, i read the Managing Sources from saurik.com, but still not quite get it , so pls help. and also when i try to install stuff from installer, i got Error :YOU MUST INSTALL BSD OR CYDIA FIRST ,message ,

francis
    @buckles08:

You cannot add Installer.app sources to Cydia, there is ongoing work to get more and more repositories Cydia compatible in the next few days.

That error message tells me 2 things:

1. Someone has taken the time and effort to include Cydia as an alternative to BSD as a requirement for their apps
    2. Unfortunately, their check doesn't seem to be working.

EDIT:

The fix for your particular problem (until these checks are fixed etc) is to run this command in terminal:

ln -s /bin/chown /usr/bin/chown
    Last edited by francis; 02-29-2008 at 02:46 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Is there a description of Cydia compatible source format? Or can anyone give a working source URL?
    Thanks!

UPDATE: I've already found out the answer - it's Debian APT format
    Last edited by Outofscope; 02-29-2008 at 04:50 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    hi
    thnx for the reply ,but i run the cm -s /bin/chown /usr/bin/chown in moble ter and is nothing happening ?? it said no such file or directory
    Last edited by buckles08; 02-29-2008 at 03:06 AM.

francis
    @Outofscope:

Cydia uses Debian's well-documented APT repository format, which you should find ample documentation for. However, I understand that the documentation may be too extensive or unclear in some regards, so I am in the process of writing up a little article/guide. I should probably stop procrastinating and get it done today. In any case, while you're waiting for the guide, take a look at the following repositories in your web browser (these are currently the 2 default repositories bundled with Cydia):

http://modmyi.com/repo/
    http://apt.saurik.com/

as examples of working repositories, and I'd also like to point out that we are in the process of creating a tool to automatically create a Cydia-compatible repository from an Installer Repo. The ModMyI repo was generated in 29 seconds from its Installer counterpart. We call this tool the Debicizer (thanks to Erica Sadun for the catchy name ) and it will hopefully be a cross-platform open-source tool, with plans for a Mac GUI Repository Creator in the near future.

Cydia and Telesphoreo are under active development, and they will only get better over time, so keep your eyes peeled for further updates!

Note: for those of you interested in the debicizer project, the current project location is:

http://debicizer.googlecode.com

Thanks

the 11mb file, will this install to 'mobile' part of my iphone?
    as i have only 7mb free on that partition, but 2gb free on media

ive used boss tools before, which screwed up my iphone, is there any new way of moving apps?

im on 1.1.3 using ziphone method

thanks

francis
    @buckles08:

This issue has now been fixed, refresh in Cydia (the button at the top-right corner of the screen) and then, under Changes, hit Upgrade All.

@metaljay:

Don't worry about free space, Cydia will make free space for itself before installing to make sure you don't face any problems later on
    Last edited by francis; 02-29-2008 at 03:16 AM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to francis For This Useful Post:

metaljay (02-29-2008)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

very very nice app!!!
    But i don't understand to how did i do to put new sources??I edit the .plist file, but i don't understand to what did i do...

Thanks

thanks for the quick reply,

ive read all about tthis fake bsd sub. like most installer users, i have this already installed,

ive read already that i dont need to do anything, but if i was to uninstall cydia, would i have to install bsd from installer again? would installer show it has removed?

thanks

francis
    From one of my earlier replies, I pointed out that just like BSD, you cannot uninstall Cydia, only reinstall. You can, however, go into terminal, and run the following command to remove the GUI (and keep the subsystem):

apt-get remove cydia

You will then be asked to confirm by responding with: Yes, do as I say!

When thats done, restart springboard, and you will be Cydia-less again, but still with the awesome subsystem that it comes with. If you ever feel like installing Cydia again, you can either Reinstall it from Installer, or you can do:

apt-get update
    apt-get install cydia
    Last edited by francis; 02-29-2008 at 03:33 AM.

Thanks

brilliant, i wasnt planning on uninstalling it, just was curious.

Also, just an idea. but origionally on 1.1.1 you would have to visit jaailbreakme.com which would active your phone and install 'installer' for you

why not make your own, which would also activate the iphone and install cydia? instead of 'installer'?

im sure i.unlock.no moddded the .tiff.

so could this be done?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    thnk u for ya reply :

but i did refresh the cydia.but i cant find upgrade all button ???

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

where do i get this?,

also how do i install it ?

i have 1.1.3

thanks