Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Dev Team Baseband tool - More progress towards 3g unlock.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,277 Times in 652 Posts

Default Dev Team Baseband tool - More progress towards 3g unlock.
    The devs have posted up a video of their latest progress towards an iPhone 3g unlock. The video is of their PMB8878 baseband tool.

[ame=http://www.vimeo.com/2069634]3G Baseband Tool on Vimeo[/ame]

The baseband tool allows communication with the baseband via AT commands. The video shows an AT command that has been inserted into to the PMB8878 that starts and application on the basband.

Let me sum it up. The dev team has made some awesome progress towards making a software unlock for the iPhone 3g that much closer to reality.

[via iphone-dev]

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

About time...

devs... :-)
    unix

Green Apple
    Thanks

I can't wait til this is totally done and compatible with tmobiles 3G network. And are you guys hiring or need interns or just freelancers? I would have had this written 7 hours ago. No offense
    When I try to spell Jedi's on my iPhone, it auto-corrects it to Jesus...

this is freaking good news, patiently waiting for the dev team to finish this unlock...

good job guys and keep it up...

cheers!

Does anyone understand what this means? lol just wondering if they do unlock it does that mean it will work on verizon?

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by oliverhart77 View Post
    I can't wait til this is totally done and compatible with tmobiles 3G network. And are you guys hiring or need interns or just freelancers? I would have had this written 7 hours ago. No offense
    The iPhone 3G will never be compatible with T-Mobile's 3G network. T-Mobile transmits on a different frequency that the iphone radio cannot receive.

You may also want to look at the forum section for member written news. If it's done well enough it will be transferred to the home page news instead.

Quote Originally Posted by wildgene789 View Post
    Does anyone understand what this means? lol just wondering if they do unlock it does that mean it will work on verizon?
    The only 2 compatible cell phone providers in the USA are AT&T and T-Mobile... and this is only for regular cell phone use and Edge data transfer. The rest of the cell phone providers work on a completely different type of cell phone technology.

Additionally, this video does not indicate which baseband version they are running code on. For the majority of those that have updated to firmware 2.1 this may not work for us... we will have to wait and see. Remember the Dev Team recommended NOT to update the baseband when upgrading the firmware in case you want to unlock.
    Last edited by Poseidon79; 10-26-2008 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Default Actually...AT&T and t-mobile aren't the only two In USA
    there's a company called "einstien" it works on too...
    I unlocked my first gen and used it on there for my x girls phone...just thought I would mention...

they are running 1.45 modem firmware according to their video...
    Hmm...

Livin the iPhone Life heath_rox's Avatar
    Thanks

once again means nothing to me *metal backs* all the way
    "Its better to be a pirate than join the navy"Steve Jobs

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    The iPhone 3G will never be compatible with T-Mobile's 3G network. T-Mobile transmits on a different frequency that the iphone radio cannot receive.

You may also want to look at the forum section for member written news. If it's done well enough it will be transferred to the home page news instead.

The only 2 compatible cell phone providers in the USA are AT&T and T-Mobile... and this is only for regular cell phone use and Edge data transfer. The rest of the cell phone providers work on a completely different type of cell phone technology.

Additionally, this video does not indicate which baseband version they are running code on. For the majority of those that have updated to firmware 2.1 this may not work for us... we will have to wait and see. Remember the Dev Team recommended NOT to update the baseband when upgrading the firmware in case you want to unlock.
    Never say never...the iPhone 3G has the chipset to support UMTS 1700 but it is disable through software. Maybe some day the dev team can enable the software to support it.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aznracer For This Useful Post:

b3nny (10-27-2008), oliverhart77 (10-27-2008)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aznracer View Post
    Never say never...the iPhone 3G has the chipset to support UMTS 1700 but it is disable through software. Maybe some day the dev team can enable the software to support it.
    thank you. I was reading about that. If you think about it, the end result of unlocking the iphone 3G would BE to enable the usage of it on other 3G GSM networks. Aside from the dev team just wanting a good challenge, the main reason is compatibility.

[QUOTE=Poseidon79;2537741][COLOR="DarkOrange"]The iPhone 3G will never be compatible with T-Mobile's 3G network. T-Mobile transmits on a different frequency that the iphone radio cannot receive.

[/COLOR

[QUOTE=Poseidon79;2537741]The iPhone 3G will never be compatible with T-Mobile's 3G network. T-Mobile transmits on a different frequency that the iphone radio cannot receive.

Additionally, I brought up the slow posting process because this was reported to modmyi hours before someone got around to posting it, and this being a news and info site that reports on things of this nature, you'd think they would keep up with or beat out the competition by reporting on it first
    Last edited by oliverhart77; 10-27-2008 at 02:10 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    When I try to spell Jedi's on my iPhone, it auto-corrects it to Jesus...

Default I don't get it
    This may sound stupid but i don't get it??? My Iphone 3g is unlocked, i can use it on any network in the world. All the phone company did was send me an sms message saying unlocked please plug into Itunes. Can't that be looked at in any way? I know it is harder than that but what is it that makes it so hard when an sms does the job?

Quote Originally Posted by oliverhart77 View Post
    thank you. I was reading about that. If you think about it, the end result of unlocking the iphone 3G would BE to enable the usage of it on other 3G GSM networks. Aside from the dev team just wanting a good challenge, the main reason is compatibility.
    sorry, but the person you quoted is misinformed. the iphone 3g's chipset has no support for the 1700MHz UMTS band T-Mobile USA is using. it's a tri-band UMTS chip... there is no hidden or locked 4th band.

cracking the baseband allows for more than just unlocking the SIM restriction and is a worthy endeavour, even if just to use prepaid SIMs while traveling outside of the country.

Quote Originally Posted by cheekydevil1234 View Post
    This may sound stupid but i don't get it??? My Iphone 3g is unlocked, i can use it on any network in the world. All the phone company did was send me an sms message saying unlocked please plug into Itunes. Can't that be looked at in any way? I know it is harder than that but what is it that makes it so hard when an sms does the job?
    it wasnt the SMS that unlocked it. what happens in that process is that the IMEI is sent to Apple with a request for permanent SIM unlock. Apple then unlocks that IMEI in their database, and when you connect it to iTunes at that point, the phone is unlocked remotely.

countries in the EU like Germany and France have laws requiring that all devices sold MUST be unlockable upon subscriber request for interoperability across borders while traveling within the EU.
    Last edited by oakie; 10-28-2008 at 06:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by aznracer View Post
    Is there proof/fact of this somewhere? Also what benefits is it unlocking via software over hardware (turbo sim)? Other then the fact that turbo sim is not as stable it seems.
    Last edited by quakerroatmeal; 10-28-2008 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oakie View Post
    it wasnt the SMS that unlocked it. what happens in that process is that the IMEI is sent to Apple with a request for permanent SIM unlock. Apple then unlocks that IMEI in their database, and when you connect it to iTunes at that point, the phone is unlocked remotely.

countries in the EU like Germany and France have laws requiring that all devices sold MUST be unlockable upon subscriber request for interoperability across borders while traveling within the EU.
    ok my question is...my boss is selling me his iphone 3g, can he call at&t and have them unlock the phone and in return i can use it on tmobiles network?

Quote Originally Posted by ej6 wut View Post
    ok my question is...my boss is selling me his iphone 3g, can he call at&t and have them unlock the phone and in return i can use it on tmobiles network?
    if the phone he bought came originally locked (not internationally unlocked) to att, then the answer is no, he cannot call them and they will unlock it....

thanx button in advance
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by oakie View Post
    sorry, but the person you quoted is misinformed. the iphone 3g's chipset has no support for the 1700MHz UMTS band T-Mobile USA is using. it's a tri-band UMTS chip... there is no hidden or locked 4th band.

cracking the baseband allows for more than just unlocking the SIM restriction and is a worthy endeavour, even if just to use prepaid SIMs while traveling outside of the country.

sorry to sound like a noob here but is it basically just a code the dev team are looking for to break it? sort of like a passkey? Im in Australia and had mine unlocked on request because i travel for work overseas all the time.

My iPhone is a Part of Me lillewis51's Avatar
    Thanks

great news

w I C k E d G u Y s

Keep up the good work!!!