Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone Firmware 2.2 Beta 2 Adds Google Street View

Livin the iPhone Life Bernie-Mac's Avatar
    Thanks

Awesome ive been waiting for walking directions
    iLive an iLife

Quote Originally Posted by moto_noob View Post
    apple just never wants to give what people want, they just want to dish out stuff that they think are "nifty". Things the iphone need will probably never be addressed and that's why our iphones are cool, but it always feel short of something. One thing the iphone needs is landscape email/texting, god damn this should of been there since day one.
    God i KNOW!! wtf.. text would be amzing in landscape!! Come on.. Apple should have thought of that first off.. It is like COMMON SENSE!! It wouldnt even be that hard to implicate on the next update.. Those are my two perks about the phone... mss, and landscape in emails and texts..

Thanks

we are our own worst enemies in regards to the iPhone. If we wouldn't have purchased the iPhone until apple fixed & added the basic features a "smartphone/pda" should have from jump. Why do we have to beg for mms & text forwarding? Zoom on camera mode? Voice nav? Until someone uses their iPhone for nav, wrecks & sues apple will we get turn by turn? Is that what it's going to take?

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LSZ33 View Post
    we are our own worst enemies in regards to the iPhone. If we wouldn't have purchased the iPhone until apple fixed & added the basic features a "smartphone/pda" should have from jump. Why do we have to beg for mms & text forwarding? Zoom on camera mode? Voice nav? Until someone uses their iPhone for nav, wrecks & sues apple will we get turn by turn? Is that what it's going to take?
    Can't agree with you more.....

*prays Google will included a scale*

^ how hard can a few brackets be?

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

^^I ask the same question on ALOT of the features we are lacking.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adamnur View Post
    They're probably going to do the apple special:

All the features we want and that really should have been included from the beginning will be featured on the 3RD GEN IPHONE. Thanks steve!
    +1

What else could they use to lure people into ANOTHER iPhone purchase? Not much.

i really hope that 2.2 isnt just centered around adding googles street view with other minor fixes because seriously...who really cares about street view?

i thought mms were a givin on the first firmware
    and we're at generation two and apple still hasn't added it yet.

how hard can it really be? if swirly can pull it off, i think apple can.

Quote Originally Posted by huntor View Post
    i thought mms were a givin on the first firmware
    and we're at generation two and apple still hasn't added it yet.

how hard can it really be? if swirly can pull it off, i think apple can.
    very very true, and if irealsms and other apps can do landscape texting why can't apple do it?? they can't even out smart the dev-team sometimes lol

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnoy View Post
    I want them to fix fetch, doesn't work in stand-by for me in 2.1.

Street view looks good, the google car went by my house about 2 months ago, so hopefully it will be on it soon!
    If the Google Car comes to Argentina, for sure, will get hijacked, dismantled, and sold in parts in "Warnes" street... Man, what a country...

Now seriously...All Nu Navigation stuff seems great, but, as everybody is saying, WTF! Put for once real deals for most of us > Copy/paste, Landscape writing, Native MMS, naming a few.

Salutte.

lets get the basics

What makes iPhone cool?

- touch interface
    - No Moving keypads to wear out
    - big @$$ screen to actually see what is going on
    - very intuitive touch everything
    - pretty decent phone

What makes iPhone cool, but annoying.

- PUSH email doesn't really PUSH or FETCH...
    - Lack of reasonable SMS plan. I just watched somewhere that if you added up the cost per 1meg of messaging it comes out to 1000 dollars per meg...
    - Lack of MMS. I can deal honestly, cause i use my phone as a phone, and not a sidekick.

What makes the iPhone cool in Steve Job's eyes.

- Useless but cool features
    - Youtube for instance. My thoughts: Great I have the most advance phone in the world, and i can now watch Numa Numa or Dramatic Rodent, or Chris Crocker on the go... Yippee.

I want to watch real TV while i am driving. HULU anyone? ATT already has a TV plan for 30 dollars on lesser phones, and we are to believe that we can't get HULU why? Oh yeah, because apple is trying to prove a point by saying that iTunes is better... iTunes doesn't help me when i am not in front of my computer, and even if i was in front of my computer, i sure as bettin' would spend 65 dollars on a season pass for one show.

- Street View Maps. Wow great. If honestly, who cares? Its not something i would use on a day to day basis. Its not something that most anyone would use on a day to day basis. Its gadget, and a toy, and most importantly, a novelty. It makes it WOW for a few weeks then people realize who cares...

- The keyboard issue. While i don't mind what is there, I also don't type novels (unlike here) in my emails. It doesn't bother me. However I can see how it bothers many,and considering the growing number of apps that emulate that feature, I find it hard to believe that horizontal typing is really that difficult of a feat.

But like before, instead of dealing with the real issues, lets just bring out a whole new line of pretty fruity iPods, and no one will notice, care, and most importantly: remember...

If street views is all 2.2 is offering, then i certainly wont be upgrading until something worthwhile comes along.
    Herp a derp a derp a doooo!

Default thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by moto_noob View Post
    apple just never wants to give what people want, they just want to dish out stuff that they think are "nifty". Things the iphone need will probably never be addressed and that's why our iphones are cool, but it always feel short of something. One thing the iphone needs is landscape email/texting, god damn this should of been there since day one.
    finally someone who understands idk y apple hasnt put in landscape texting i think it is one of the most requesting items only after MMS. thanks
    "Answering 1 Question at a Time."

iPhone 4: 32GB iOS 4.1 JB
    MacBook Pro 13.3": 2.26ghz/4GB/160GB SL 10.6.5
    iMac 21.5": 3.06ghz/4GB/500GB SL 10.6.5

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Apple's ability to implement these features has NOTHING to do with it. The reason we haven't seen cut/copy/paste, and the other stupid sh*t people won't stop whining about is because Apple didn't want to put them in the iPhone software. Why? Nobody knows. But you knew what you were getting when you signed up for your iPhone. And even if you didn't (right...) you had 30 days to return it. Were you too busy playing Tap Tap Revenge?

As for street view, I for one would use this on a regular basis. It makes maps 10x more useful, because you can see what lane to be in when the highway forks, you can see what your exit actually looks like, you can see where that tiny residential street actually IS, and the list goes on. This would be far more useful for me than any of the other crap people keep whining about. MMS is insignificant to me (and apparently to Apple as well). If it were implemented I would never even touch it. Actually it would probably make me angry, because I would have to pay an extra .05 every time some douche bag sent me an unwanted picture, just because ATT refuses to allow me to disable texting (they love getting .15 out of my pocket every time some stupid person texts me because they are too lazy to pick up the damn phone)

Anyways, my point is you are accomplishing nothing by continuing to whine about it, Apple is infamous for totally ignoring user concerns about small details like this. All it does is irritate the people who actually appreciate and understand what the iPhone is.

[/rant]

My iPhone is a Part of Me MattMac's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aumz View Post
    It would be niceif they stop giving us features that are advanced like this and giving us features that even the basic phones and smart phones have.

I have a love and hate relaionship with my 3G but more hate because I now know I should have waited to get the Bold.

I want MMS, Cut/Copy/Paste, Push to work as they advertised it would, ability to click on a number from a webpage and have option to TEXT not just CALL, Data Storage, and Word/Excel/Powerpoint utilities to create and edit....all of this I could do bar the Push on a phone I had about 4 years ago.

On a side note will the street view just be for USA users or for all users in the official iPhone countries.
    Very true. Add the features the iPhone lacks rather than add features that barely anyone will use... Apple are stupid and narrow minded sometime...
    16GB iPhone 3G
    2.2 Pwned
    Dedicated Cydia User

2.2 GHz Intel MacBook

Mac OS X 10.5.5
    Bootcamp w/ Windows XP

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WillyDavidK View Post
    Apple's ability to implement these features has NOTHING to do with it. The reason we haven't seen cut/copy/paste, and the other stupid sh*t people won't stop whining about is because Apple didn't want to put them in the iPhone software. Why? Nobody knows. But you knew what you were getting when you signed up for your iPhone. And even if you didn't (right...) you had 30 days to return it. Were you too busy playing Tap Tap Revenge?

As for street view, I for one would use this on a regular basis. It makes maps 10x more useful, because you can see what lane to be in when the highway forks, you can see what your exit actually looks like, you can see where that tiny residential street actually IS, and the list goes on. This would be far more useful for me than any of the other crap people keep whining about. MMS is insignificant to me (and apparently to Apple as well). If it were implemented I would never even touch it. Actually it would probably make me angry, because I would have to pay an extra .05 every time some douche bag sent me an unwanted picture, just because ATT refuses to allow me to disable texting (they love getting .15 out of my pocket every time some stupid person texts me because they are too lazy to pick up the damn phone)

Anyways, my point is you are accomplishing nothing by continuing to whine about it, Apple is infamous for totally ignoring user concerns about small details like this. All it does is irritate the people who actually appreciate and understand what the iPhone is.

[/rant]
    It's not that Apple didn't put them in...it's that the iPhone system is based off Mac OS X and the copy and paste system on it is very complex.

Quote Originally Posted by WillyDavidK View Post
    But you knew what you were getting when you signed up for your iPhone. And even if you didn't (right...) you had 30 days to return it.

[/rant]
    It's good to hear you have 30 days in the States, I was informed in the UK outlet that the normal rturns policy did not apply to the Iphone !! and no I didn't know about half the stuff that was missing / badly implemented.

It always looks to me like the various parts of the Iphone SW were written by different groups of people that had no common guidance, i.e html emails have no portrait view !!! ....etc.

Also the people writing the SW had no real knowledge about phone applications but were good at throwing in some other noteworthy feature.

The Iphone is really a love/hate relationship.

Gadjet

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

What the iPhone needs is the ability to use the whole phone in landscape itself, so if you rotate the phone, everything on the screen also rotates no matter which app you have got open or you are on the homescreen.
    It also needs to have the ability to have some shortcut buttons on the lockscreen, C&P DEFINETELY, SMS forwarding and the ability to send files through Bluetooth and to get files on and off without using WiFi, by using USB or Bluetooth.

No I didn't know that most of these features were missing on the iPhone, I knew MMS was missing but I thought it had all the other features that a normal phone had.

The new iPhone when released needs to have metal backs again, removeable battery, 32GB memory, louder and 2 speakers and a camera with flash and on the front, iPhone 2G is still better looking than the 3G!
    I mean come on, all 3G phones have a camera for video calling, wtf Apple!
    I bet all these features are will be on the 3rd gen iPhone and hopefully cheaper than the 3G until then I'm sticking with my unlocked 2G.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Default Heres what i would like to see in 2.2
    MMS, Push, cut/copy/paste, able to use keyboard sideways, bluetooth stack supporting stereo headphones, did i say mms???

cuwl, but yea, it's an idea for apple to let you choose between different routes

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast