+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhones for Congress. Your Tax Dollars at Work.

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,268 Times in 652 Posts

Default iPhones for Congress. Your Tax Dollars at Work.

According to TheHill.com House members elected to the next Congress could be getting Apple iPhones as their communications device.

The Chief Administrative Office (CAO) which handles the communications systems for the House has been testing iPhones lately to see if they are appropriate for the needs of Congress members and staff.

"The reason we’re trying them out is because we heard a lot of people wanted the option to have them,” said Jeff Ventura, a spokesman for the CAO. Do they need the iPhone? Probably not.

Anyways the decision to whether or not our tax dollars will be used to replace Congress's fleet of 8,200 Blackberry devices will be made by the beginning of the next Congress in January.

Does that money really need to be spent on iPhones? Well it's either going to be iPhones or Blackberries and the price ranges are fairly similar. Sure if Congress wants to make the switch I say why not?

[TheHill via theiphoneblog]

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

hahaha... they want to switch cuz maybe when they get bored, they can download some games and play. hahaha

OLD INFO I forgot where to get this again. Link?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Like really?
    Do they need iphones?

Do they really need more distractions while screwing over north America??

Thanks

good business for iPhone I say. These guys would have to have phones either way, right?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

i'd say nay on it. Too many other distractions to mandate the iphone as their "business" device. I'm in IT and when someone wants one via the company I laugh as its not needed...at all. They can stick with their Blackberry's, its a simple device and good at one thing...email...and thats all they should be worrying about.
    Really?

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

To people saying no.... (not that I necessarily say yes)
    Do you REALLY think that the iPhone will be any more distracting than another phone. Furthermore do you see them sitting there playing with it while congress is in session... come on people...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Won't somebody, please, think of the deactivation fees!?

iPhone? More like MyPhone knowtheobscure's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    To people saying no.... (not that I necessarily say yes)
    Do you REALLY think that the iPhone will be any more distracting than another phone. Furthermore do you see them sitting there playing with it while congress is in session... come on people...
    Uhhh...do you have an iphone? Didn't you play with it? I don't care how old you are, you will play with your new toy.
    All is... so Accept and Just Be

Green Apple
    Thanks

lol blackberries have games too and if they want an iphone they are gonna get it do u think they can't afford it. also if u really love iphone and or apple then u should realize that the more they sale the more they can develop. they are getting an expensive phone anyway why not get the best. I dont care if u think blackberries are the best so dont comment back on that im just saying it will be good for apple

Green Apple
    Thanks

WOw! Now that's Hot. Beat that you G1 phone. Even the big boys want an iphone. Also for people that think they wont be playing with the Iphone while at work think about it. Do you play with your phone at work?

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Maybe once they start using them they'll start pushing more regulation over stuff ETF fees, tethering, and unlocking.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

Thanks

old guys with iphones makes me rofl.

iPhone? More like MyPhone reddevilseye's Avatar
    Thanks

oh noooooooooooo
    this site will be over loaded 8.200 ppl will try to get the info for jaibraking their phones lol
    DFU Restore Mode:

1. Power phone OFF. 2. Hold power + home for 10 seconds. 3. Let go of power and continue to hold home until iTunes finds the phone.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reddevilseye View Post
    oh noooooooooooo
    this site will be over loaded 8.200 ppl will try to get the info for jaibraking their phones lol
    Best post in the thread by far..

Thanks
    omg the iphone is taking over

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by knowtheobscure View Post
    Uhhh...do you have an iphone? Didn't you play with it? I don't care how old you are, you will play with your new toy.
    WOW... you missed the point entirely. I DO have an iPhone. I DO play with it... not while in class or at work, and I think that congressmen would have the reserve to not play with it while they are in session. Basically this is a repost of what I already said before :P
    Is it really a problem if they play with it on their own time? I would we are not asking for congressmen to abstain from having any fun ever... I sure as hell wouldn't want such a congressman making decisions for my state/country....
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Get over it, its just fine with me. If any you have ever watched a congressional session, you'll see at least 4 people asleep, 3 people talking amongst themselves, half the room is usually empty, the others texting/emailing and looking at their phones.

Unless its a major issue, the day to day in the House and Senate is usually boring and full of initiatives & referendums that are usually weak and not useful. When its time to pay attention, they do. Let em have an iphone, and let the accountants get upset with AT&T and push congress to change the monopoly on captive service provider.

Thanks for the article Cash, this is hilarious.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default are you kidding me?
    pieces of work.

Thanks

I can just imagine it, hundreds of members of Congress spamming the forums with "HELP my iPhone is bricked!!!!" but seriously I don't understand why they need an iPhone its not like its even designed specifically to be used in a business setting. Its going to make me feel all good inside when im filling out my tax forms...

Thanks

I will also point out that with the subsidy of $200, the iPhone is probably going to cost "our tax dollars" as much as any other phone they have been using prior to the iPhone )e.g. blackberry, palm, etc.) Most likely it will not be an INCREASE in spending anyhow, so it should make no difference to those worried about taxes. If you are going to argue they don;t NEED an iPhone you may as well argue they don't NEED a phone since the costs are probably the same.