+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone Developers Cookbook - Erica Sadun

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Erica Sadun, talented iPhone developer (author of MakeItMine, SendFile, SendPics, Light, SendSong, VoiceNotes, AppFlow, XLaunch, and a world of others...) has a new book published called The iPhone Developers Cookbook
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,210 Posts

Default iPhone Developers Cookbook - Erica Sadun

Erica Sadun, talented iPhone developer (author of MakeItMine, SendFile, SendPics, Light, SendSong, VoiceNotes, AppFlow, XLaunch, and a world of others...) has a new book published called The iPhone Developers Cookbook. Its a $39.99 .pdf download which has 385 pages of development knowledge (well, about 340 pages.. and some blank pages and tables of contents etc... ) that will teach you something no matter what level of development ability you're at.

If you've been thinking about learning how to dev, or you already can but are picking up the SDK - or even if you are skilled in the iPhone but could use some extra chops, this book has got something for you. It takes you through the basic steps of creating your first iPhone app, and also goes into detail on many of the higher levels of developing.

Erica has written for TUAW for a good while, and just recently started working with Ars Technica - a nice move. Check out the book!

Informit.com

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kyle Matthews For This Useful Post:

idolpunk (10-10-2008), ryantron (10-10-2008)

Thanks

make sure you join informit (for discounts) and read the e-mail they send... you get an extra bonus saving for the first order!!

it saves you LOTS of money!
    http://jpassoc.com/x -- with free itunes under the puppy!
    If I help you out, please press THANKS!

3g QuickPWN'ed with 2.1

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Talking $$$
    gonaa get it now!!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I'm surprised it didn't have a catchier name, like "How to get rich using the iPhone SDK and the AppStore!" Sounds ridiculous yes, but think about how many you see like that already.

I hope it provides good instructions for getting acquainted with objective-c. All of Apple's tutorials and learning materials either talk only about vague programming concepts (no actual examples or coding) or assume you already know objective-c and give you blocks of code and only define one part. it's really disconcerting, and the main reason I gave up the notion of developing for the iPhone, despite already knowing basic C++.

Green Apple
    Thanks

would be handy if someone could review the book i'm interested in developing for it but i have no programming skill...is this the right book for me???

Green Apple
    Thanks

How can she have time to do all this programs and make a book?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix.stu View Post
    DUDE. You suck balls!!! I mean really, think of the money you can make by using this information to help you along the way.
    I mean, I can see using that for a 200 dollar app. But for christ sake, it is a lousy 25bucks. You low grade cheap excuse for a human. And especially all she has done for this community from the very beginning. You absolutely disgust me!!
    Agreed!
    - iPhone 8gig and 16gig 3G - 3.0 - JailBroken + Unlocked to T-Mobile Unlimited Plan & Total Internet Plan.
    - iPod Touch - UnJailBroken
    - XBOX 360 - Modded Firmware - XBL (my s/n)
    - XBOX - Software Modded - XBMC
    - Dell Inspiron 1521 - [B]Vista Ultimate and
    running Windows XP and Mac OS X 10.5.4 (YES! Mac OS on an Dell PC)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    would be handy if someone could review the book i'm interested in developing for it but i have no programming skill...is this the right book for me???
    This is also my case. So, can someone please tell us if this book is good for someone who doesn't even know how to program???

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

40 bucks? I think you would make more money if you sold it for, say 10? This will be a best seller... on the cracked apps sites :P

Quote Originally Posted by Wildman94 View Post
    This is also my case. So, can someone please tell us if this book is good for someone who doesn't even know how to program???
    I am not sure, but I am guessing that NO it is not... could be wrong though (and hopefully I am)
    Last edited by sziklassy; 10-10-2008 at 05:35 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

just pre-ordered not a bad price for something that looks like there is alot of information in it... cant wait for it... oh and ps i know nothing about object-c so ill see how it goes for a beginner to xcode
    Last edited by jaemiem; 10-10-2008 at 05:50 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone bbplayer5's Avatar
    Thanks

Im not a dev, but this is really effing sweet

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bbplayer5 View Post
    Im not a dev, but this is really effing sweet
    exactly what i thought!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Edited for content...
    Get off your moral high horse and stop being a hypocrite. I find it hard, actually impossible to believe that you don't have any pirated software, music, ..etc on your computer as you read this.
    Last edited by Eurisko; 10-10-2008 at 07:26 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone popmanbx's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wildman94 View Post

I second that, I am really interested in learning programing and I don't have time to go back to school right now Can anyone recommend a good basic book so I can teach myself? If this one is not for that.
    I *hEaRt* my IpHoNe

http://twitter.com/#!/Loudmouth0

wanna be cool? Follow me

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kchociej View Post
    Get off your moral high horse and stop being a hypocrite. I find it hard, actually impossible to believe that you don't have any pirated software, music, ..etc on your computer as you read this.
    Sorry man, I hate to do it however, you are just plain illiterate. Can you not read. I specifically, said that I can see doing it if it is for a more expensive app. HOWEVER, it is a cheap buy for what you will gain and WHY NOT pay someone for all of their hard work that YOU use on your phone.
    I never once disagreed or even tried to claim that there was anything wrong with bittorrents AND yes for the record, I do have all kind of torrents on my computer however, that is not the point that I was trying to make!! Learn to read what is written in plain text right in front of you rather than what you want to see!!

END RANT

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    sorry man, i hate to do it however, you are just plain illiterate. Can you not read. I specifically, said that i can see doing it if it is for a more expensive app. However, it is a cheap buy for what you will gain and why not pay someone for all of their hard work that you use on your phone.
    I never once disagreed or even tried to claim that there was anything wrong with bittorrents and yes for the record, i do have all kind of torrents on my computer however, that is not the point that i was trying to make!! Learn to read what is written in plain text right in front of you rather than what you want to see!!

End rant
    oooo burn!! J/k.

Thanks

I may have missed this along the line, but is this book already released or when will it be released? I too, like thousands of others, would like to learn coding to create apps for the phone. I have little knowledge when it comes to coding but I was an engineering major in college so I have some know-how and I feel I can pick up on it fairly quickly (at least I hope I could!!). I also have another question, is it true that you must have a Mac in order to do this. I have a PC and I keep putting pressure on my wife to get me a MacBook so I can begin to create apps because I thought I read somewhere that you need an Apple computer (iMac or MacBook) in order to get the SDK, true or untrue? Thanks everyone!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Sorry man, I hate to do it however, you are just plain illiterate. Can you not read. I specifically, said that I can see doing it if it is for a more expensive app. HOWEVER, it is a cheap buy for what you will gain and WHY NOT pay someone for all of their hard work that YOU use on your phone.
    I never once disagreed or even tried to claim that there was anything wrong with bittorrents AND yes for the record, I do have all kind of torrents on my computer however, that is not the point that I was trying to make!! Learn to read what is written in plain text right in front of you rather than what you want to see!!

END RANT
    Eeeleeiterrate? Thanks for pointing out the obvious haha!

I understood your post, thanks for clarification though. So in other words what you're saying is you justify which material is ok to steal and what isn't. In this case your strong sense of morality tells you it's a bad thing for others to steal...as opposed to countless number of other torrents on the web which can potentially make you money.
    Great reasoning!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ninthchamber99 View Post
    I may have missed this along the line, but is this book already released or when will it be released? I too, like thousands of others, would like to learn coding to create apps for the phone. I have little knowledge when it comes to coding but I was an engineering major in college so I have some know-how and I feel I can pick up on it fairly quickly (at least I hope I could!!). I also have another question, is it true that you must have a Mac in order to do this. I have a PC and I keep putting pressure on my wife to get me a MacBook so I can begin to create apps because I thought I read somewhere that you need an Apple computer (iMac or MacBook) in order to get the SDK, true or untrue? Thanks everyone!!
    iphone sdk only works on a mac. i don't think there's any emulation for pc's at this time.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OPTICS View Post
    achoooooooobittorrentoooooooooo *ahem*
    I am with you man. This is a pretty expensive .pdf

phoenix.stu - kchociej is right, you don't have the authority to determine what is ok to steal, and what isn't. Therefore you do not have the authority to tell others what to download either, no matter what it is or how much money it could potentially make you.
    Last edited by Cloudboy; 10-10-2008 at 09:15 AM.