+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: EU Directive Could Force iPhone Removable Battery

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
When your battery fails on your iPhone you either have to void your warranty and replace it yourself (assuming you have the technical knowledge) or have Apple replace the battery
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,269 Times in 652 Posts

Default EU Directive Could Force iPhone Removable Battery

When your battery fails on your iPhone you either have to void your warranty and replace it yourself (assuming you have the technical knowledge) or have Apple replace the battery for you.

The European Union doesn't seem to like the idea of a non-removable batteries in mobile phones and is considering the creation of a requirement that all mobile phone's must have easily replaceable batteries. If passed through this directive could force Apple to make the iPhone battery more easily replaceable via a rear cover that slides off or a couple screws allowing access to the battery. The battery would also need some sort of connector to allow easy swapping instead of the current design that has the battery soldered in.

The primary issue behind the directive being on the table is prevention of batteries from ending up in land fills and hurting the environment. If passed Apple may be able to get out of this directive by claiming that their battery replacement program keeps batteries out of land fills it would be more convenient for consumers to have an easily replaceable battery.

The iPhone 3g burns through it's battery in about a day under normal use. It would be nice just to throw in another battery and keep on truckin'.

[New Electronics via cnet, appleinsider]
    image from ifixit

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

isnt it cool how everyone at school has an ipod, and some of your friends bring ipod or iphone connectors you can borrow and charge during school unlike other phones with the different chargers and ect... but having a second battery just in case if the first brakes would be great

Thanks

Many organizations and companies have programs set up were you can drop off your old battery/cell phone/gadget etc. and they will take care of it in the proper manner. Apple isn't the only people who can dispose of a battery.

Do it, European Union.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

One more reason to love Europe

Viva La Revolución

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

way 2 go europe!
    they always seem 2 end up doing something gud 4 the sake of every1.

well except the developers that is

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks

Would like to see this pass.... and would also like to see it where Apple had NO control or say so once it passed as well.....

We are not idiots.... we can change our own batteries and we can drop off our dead batteries at locations that accept them.....

Please pass this The European Union and take control and give me the rights to change my batteries when I need to and also buy a extra as well!
    Last edited by thetoothfairy; 10-08-2008 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Added word

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Should be enforced on all apple gadgets not just the iPhone

Thanks

I can see Apple pulling the same stunt as the iTunes Store. They'll threaten to stop selling the iPhone in the EU.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    I can see Apple pulling the same stunt as the iTunes Store. They'll threaten to stop selling the iPhone in the EU.
    "Screw you guys... I'm just gonna pick up my toys and go home!... Then no one can have any fun!" - Apple
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

LOL the US is so far behind in everything mobile technology related it;s not even funny. These things don't even register as laws in our lands (yet) though I wish they would. Removable battery is nice, but I would be fine with Apple just replacing batteries at the cost of the battery too (maybe 40 bucks max). Not sure what they charge now. They shouldn;t charge a service fee for something they chose to do as a design (flaw).
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Green Apple
    Thanks

i dont know, apple may have to change the design, maybe rearrange things, which could ultimately affect the size.
    not meaning to be a party pooper, i like the idea, it may come at a price though...

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by guncrazy12 View Post
    i dont know, apple may have to change the design, maybe rearrange things, which could ultimately affect the size.
    not meaning to be a party pooper, i like the idea, it may come at a price though...
    Take a look at the blackberry storm... it has dimensions almost identical to the iphone (a little thicker but that has to do with the tactile screen more than battery)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

I'm on Guncrazy's side,
    It could very well damage the clean ascetic the iPhone has.
    Just sayin..

My iPhone is a Part of Me lillewis51's Avatar
    Thanks

go eu! this would be great. but would apple only sell those phones in eu?

Thanks

iPhone? More like MyPhone ckybam69's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    LOL the US is so far behind in everything mobile technology related it;s not even funny. These things don't even register as laws in our lands (yet) though I wish they would. Removable battery is nice, but I would be fine with Apple just replacing batteries at the cost of the battery too (maybe 40 bucks max). Not sure what they charge now. They shouldn;t charge a service fee for something they chose to do as a design (flaw).
    couldnt have said it better myself

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default at least...
    personally. i think it would be much more convenient to be able to replace the battery.

BUT there are a lot of good things about having it soldered in:
    -drops become less fatal.
    -less people will mess with the hardware and break their phones
    -and the original, prevention of used batteries that end up in land fills.

also... charging the iphone takes about 30 minutes ffor me.
    and almost everywhere you go, due to the popularity of the ipod, there is a chance there will be a charger.

(although the 3g is much less compatible with chargers than the edge)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I agree, the non-removable battery is a fundamental part of the design. Apple products have very few seams, and having and ugly line going across the middle of the iPhone's back is exactly the king of thing that Jobs would be outraged by. Not to mention the latch.

I suppose they could solve it in a similar way to the sim card dilema - a battery tray? The iPod dock connector would slide out with a tray attached to it (with contacts on the back for the dock) You release the battery tray, pop in a new battery, slide it back into the phone. I know it sounds like a stretch, but it's about the only way I could see Apple doing this.

Just my .02

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    This was going to be my exact comment. Id be willing to pay the cost of battery if they'd do it for free. (forcing someone to have to pay for their services surely infringes on a few laws we have in place)

I do however take great care of my battery and so far over a year, havent seen a permanent loss in capacity. I dont use car charger's (which in my experience are just wretched on the battery) and twice a week I drain it completely and charge completely (without interruption). It just takes more planning and thought on when to sync and plug in, but it does pay off.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I check my battery level every night, and if it isn't at least 3/4 full then I know I will have to charge it overnight or it won't last the next day. It doesn't really bother me at all tho, considering how much this little gadget is capable of. IMO, every apple product I've owned has had great battery life. I can use my macbook all day and then just charge it overnight as well. I've only had the battery run out on the MB on a couple of occasions, and primarily because I forgot to charge it the night before. Also, the iPhone charges pretty quickly.

And why would a car charger be 'wretched' on the battery - it's providing the exact same amount of voltage as your standard ac or usb charger...