Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Democratic Bill to Require U.S. Sale of Unlocked iPhones

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,277 Times in 652 Posts

Default Democratic Bill to Require U.S. Sale of Unlocked iPhones
    Rep. Ed Markey (D-Mass.), the chairman of a House telecommunications and Internet panel, doesn't seem to be fond of the AT&T exclusivity of the iPhone here in the U.S. if you live in massachusetts you should keep voting for this guy ^_^

If you think back a few months you'll remember when unlocked iPhones went for sale in Germany by T-mobile and in France by Orange.

Following the European rule which requires unlocked versions of phones to be sold if this U.S. Bill passes you'll see unlocked iPhones sold by law. This is because Bill's the draft has the wording providers " . . . shall offer to consumers the opportunity to purchase subsidy-free wireless customer equipment." If you would like to read the Bill in full check out the 27 page pdf.

Of course if such a Bill passes AT&T will be sure to fire up and find a loophole to the law just as T-Mobile did in Germany in order to retain their exclusivity.

If this Bill passes it would be great news to those that want an unlocked iPhone but are afraid to mod and unlock or are unwilling to switch carriers to AT&T.

I wonder what Apple's reaction would be if this Bill passes. I would guess they wouldn't be too pleased considering that AT&T purportedly pays Apple in excess of $400 per iPhone per two year contract. Odds are that if this bill passes the unlocked iPhone will cost significantly more to make up for the loss of this revenue.

[news.com via iphonealley]

thanks meisterlumpi

Green Apple
    Thanks

wow that could really hurt apple
    RY GUY!!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cash7c3 View Post
    Odds are that if this bill passes the unlocked iPhone will cost significantly more to make up for the loss of this revenue.
    Isn't this what they did when they were forced to sell unlocked iPhones in either France or Germany (can't remember which)? They charged 999euros instead of 600euros.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kpavery View Post
    Isn't this what they did when they were forced to sell unlocked iPhones in either France or Germany (can't remember which)? They charged 999euros instead of 600euros.
    It is exactly what they did

i cant decide if i like the idea...unlocking and modding is kinda fun but on the otherhand i wouldnt mind an unlocked one.

hmmm...
    The Future of Mobile

http://www.mobitureblog.com

Green Apple
    Thanks

It is exactly what they did
    Well in that case, wouldn't you rather buy a 400$ phone and unlock it yourself than a 1000$ phone that's unlocked?

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks

Well in that case, wouldn't you rather buy a 400$ phone and unlock it yourself than a 1000$ phone that's unlocked?
    without a doubt I personally would prefer to just unlock it myself

Green Apple
    Thanks

without a doubt I personally would prefer to just unlock it myself
    I suppose the people who the bill really helps are those who don't have any idea that you CAN unlock it, and they unwillingly switch to AT&T.

Default List of Apple Opponents..
    List of Apple Opponents..

• Microsoft
    • Verison
    • Sprint
    • Now the Government

This is crazy!

I think this guy just wants to be loved by non AT&T, Apple fans!

iPhone? More like MyPhone cockyjeremy's Avatar
    Thanks

Boo, i hope it doesn't pass. Two reasons.. cheaper iPhones, and the fact people can unlock it themselves. I use AT&T, so i reaaaally hope it doesn't pass. lol.

Default Good for the outside US apple iPhone community!
    Hey lads, well this are great news for people outside the US that are loving the iphone and want a legal iphone.

it seems that you people keep forgetting that theres a whole new world outside the US! with tons of people i remind you, haha lol!

cheers, maritimeswimmer!

PS: the iphone its used outside the US i remind you and most likely every single person that gets in touch with the iphone seems to love it,like it, and even becomes a part of their everyday apparel, so please dont be greedy and hopefully Mr.Jobs settle to this new law in The US!
    Last edited by maritimeswimmer; 02-27-2008 at 11:58 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to maritimeswimmer For This Useful Post:

evilp8ntballer7 (02-28-2008)

I hope this Bill passes since it would make it easier for me to get my hands on two more phones. One for my mother and one for my Sister-in-Law. Both are pestering both me and my wife for ours.

Green Apple
    Thanks

even though I am an AT&T customer, I hope this bill won't pass. I think every cell phone price will go up because of it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maritimeswimmer View Post
    Hey lads, well this are great news for people outside the US that are loving the iphone and want a legal iphone
    I think I should say: its perfectly legal to unlock a phone. Apple will do the same thing as they did with France; they'll make it unusable outside the country of origin... So, not really "unlocked".
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

Quote Originally Posted by dale1v View Post
    I think I should say: its perfectly legal to unlock a phone. Apple will do the same thing as they did with France; they'll make it unusable outside the country of origin... So, not really "unlocked".
    I kinda forgot about that although I had it in mind, but yes I couldn't agree with you more is this bill does passes I think and I wouldn't doubt that the iPhone will still be only for the US Market and it will stay that way till I guess iPhone 2.0 comes out with all better goodies and ready to enter the international Market.

What I think its Mr.Job was just testing his shiny device on you guys and this is why he has taken a two year contract with AT&T just to see peoples reactions inside and outside the US so he can later enter in a international Market knowing exactly what to do. That is my point of view!

Cheers,eh!!!

Ps: I would love to hear you Americans say something about the international iPhone community.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maritimeswimmer View Post
    What I think its Mr.Job was just testing his shiny device on you guys and this is why he has taken a two year contract with AT&T just to see peoples reactions inside and outside the US so he can later enter in a international Market knowing exactly what to do. That is my point of view!
    I think you are correct that this is partially a test of the waters on Apples part, and they probably chose the countries to realease in so far very carefully and had reasons. I would suspect there is a lot of paperwork that you need as a phone manufacturer for each country, so you would want to release the phone into a limited number of markets.

And it looks like apple strategically picked the release countries based on how many phones they expected to sell in each. And really, it seems like they picked countries with large populations and where many people could afford the phone (e.g. USA - 3rd largest in the world, Britain - also up there, and other EU countries like Germany - another 60 million I think.) save the "far east" like china and japan, they seem to have picked a good slate.

Sorry for the longwinded post, but as you said (with what seemed like a hint of bitterness) we do need to talk more about the international market.
    Last edited by kpavery; 02-28-2008 at 02:55 AM. Reason: :)

18. The Following User Says Thank You to kpavery For This Useful Post:

maritimeswimmer (02-28-2008)

Green Apple
    Thanks

This bill is a great idea and in no way hurts Apple. I would not be surprised if Apple isn't behind the bill. Think about it, you release a new product, you know its going to be popular (Apple knows there customer), but hey its your first time in a new market. Lets test this first model out on the public, but at the same time we need to subsidize the development of the newer model already on the drawing board with all the features to knock all other cell phone mfg on there ***...(3G, Tighter Business integration for Email, Etc... Yadyadayda you guys know the drill...)

We make exclusive contracts with a few providers, get a years worth of development cash in our pockets... Get out of exclusivity contracts by getting a law passed. Now I can sell to all providers, let the providers battle it out for consumer contracts by offering attractive iPhone deals for multiyear contracts.

That Jobs is slick slick slick...
    Last edited by Projectile; 02-28-2008 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Grammar

One thing though is are the Unlocked from apple or do they have to be unlocked with a program which would add Installer.

So if this bill passes this gives the rights for all carriers to use unlocked phones? How long did Verizon get away with this? I don't remember Sprint customer's able to use Verizon phones? LG Voyager is exclusive correct?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    That was France, but they were not totally unlocked, the phones only worked with french sim cards as far as i know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast