Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Democratic Bill to Require U.S. Sale of Unlocked iPhones

I've called AT&T and asked if they would unlock my phone after the 2 years is over.
    I was told that it is not going to happen. You know what? In this case there should have been no contract period in the first place. If this is their policy, you are married to AT&T and unable to choose carriers after the contract is over. In my view it is wrong. T-Mobile unlocked my phone when I asked them, because I was under their contract anyway. They asked my why I needed it and I told them that I want to use a local sim card in Europe.
    When I travelled with my iPhone, a couple calls and some internet browsing resulted a $1200+ phone bill.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ddfilms's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dale1v View Post
    I think I should say: its perfectly legal to unlock a phone. Apple will do the same thing as they did with France; they'll make it unusable outside the country of origin... So, not really "unlocked".
    It already is legal in the US to unlock any cell phone, the provider is just not "Required to help" you.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

The iPhones that were unlocked came locked and were unlocked when they were connected to iTunes. (I believe)

I think this bill should pass i have att but would drop them in a hurry if this goes through, i can not stand there customer care or there high rate plans i have been debating for a while now on unlocking my phone and dropping them anyways but im scared about the whole warranty issue. my coworker has t-mobile usa and he has been happy with them, that tzone hack thing is pretty cool saves him alot of money. anyways just my 2cents.

i dont want iphones price to be 1k$
    apple is not that hurt as att since apple is getting exclusivity earnings unitl the bill passes if it does
    about international iphones i got an iphone and im in bolivia it works great on 1.1.3 and Movil GSM network it is already in spanish so i think as far as im concerned iphone is already international
    PS dont forget that apple always learns about their mistakes next time theyll strike harder

Quote Originally Posted by kpavery View Post
    Isn't this what they did when they were forced to sell unlocked iPhones in either France or Germany (can't remember which)? They charged 999euros instead of 600euros.
    Although I am not a huge fan of AT&T, I did switch to their service since you can't get an iPhone with CDMA (I was with Verizon). On the bright side though...AT&T really gets screwed on this since the unlocked iphones, even if sold for more, would benefit apple and not the carrier. (Minus apple's $18 per month cut or whatever it ended up being)

Here we go again. For some reason people want a big government to punish big business for being successful. Butt out senator! If we want our phones unlocked then we'll unlock them. Why is it that so many laws are passed to protect the ignorant?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12